+ Reply to Thread
Page 1176 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 1766761076112611661174117511761177 LastLast
Results 11,751 to 11,760 of 11762

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm guy.

OK, thread title is “tell me something …….anything”

Pigmy’s post above regarding “…desperate for a dump” reminded me about a story my grandad told me:
    WW2, blackout, living in terraced housing with shared “privy” - gets home in dark, desperate for a dump he shot straight in to the privy, dropped his trousers and sat on the lap of the wife of a neighbour.

Never did tell me whether he did the business
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post

Pigmy’s post above regarding “…desperate for a dump” reminded me about a story my grandad told me:
    WW2, blackout, living in terraced housing with shared “privy” - gets home in dark, desperate for a dump he shot straight in to the privy, dropped his trousers and sat on the lap of the wife of a neighbour.

Never did tell me whether he did the business
    Well that did make me laugh! One hopes he was able to contain himself, apologise and wait.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post

Never did tell me whether he did the business :)
    I'd like to think he did We have it so easy with modern indoor plumbing.

Grandads were the best for toilet humour. Two of my grandad's favourites:

One night he woke up with a desperate urge for a poo (turned out to be diarrhoea), and as he was climbing over my grandma he did a fart. And my grandma's face looked like it was covered in freckles

Then there was a moment of reflection: "After my cack (his words) this morning, I looked in the toilet and saw it was the shape of a question mark. And it got me thinking..."

He also used to say that his and my grandma's false teeth had to be kept in separate glasses at night, as they used to fight and the noise kept them awake. Not sure I believed that one.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I recognise the layout from the outside view. Walking through the front door you'll have a small wc and washbasin to the right, and a long narrow hallway leading to lounge on the left, stairs on the right and dining kitchen at the end. Probably.

A music lover's guide to house buying:

Wrong. Doors apart means lounges adjoining.

Correct. Doors together means lounges apart. And having a downstairs bog next to the front door can be handy if you get home desperate for a dump
    Many homes had to be rebuilt after the war and the country was almost bankrupt, so new builds had to be designed to save costs. When it came to semi-detached houses, they were designed to have the two dwellings be mirror imaged with the entrances adjacent to one another, rather than at opposite ends of the building.

This was done so the two dwellings could share the electricity cable feeding them from the street. Copper was expensive, so this arrangement would halve the cost. Similarly the ring main was devised to save cable cost over the radial system that had been used before.
    Barry

I'm guy.

I'd like to think he did We have it so easy with modern indoor plumbing.

Grandads were the best for toilet humour. Two of my grandad's favourites:

One night he woke up with a desperate urge for a poo (turned out to be diarrhoea), and as he was climbing over my grandma he did a fart. And my grandma's face looked like it was covered in freckles

Then there was a moment of reflection: "After my cack (his words) this morning, I looked in the toilet and saw it was the shape of a question mark. And it got me thinking..."

He also used to say that his and my grandma's false teeth had to be kept in separate glasses at night, as they used to fight and the noise kept them awake. Not sure I believed that one.
    God, I loved my grandad - wish that I had been old enough/he had lived longer so that he could have told me more.
    I remember him taking me to see “return of the magnificent 7” (he loved cowboy films), on the way he took out his false teeth and snapped them at a couple of girls who were walking towards us.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Many homes had to be rebuilt after the war and the country was almost bankrupt, so new builds had to be designed to save costs. When it came to semi-detached houses, they were designed to have the two dwellings be mirror imaged with the entrances adjacent to one another, rather than at opposite ends of the building.

This was done so the two dwellings could share the electricity cable feeding them from the street. Copper was expensive, so this arrangement would halve the cost. Similarly the ring main was devised to save cable cost over the radial system that had been used before.
    Ah I didn't know that, makes complete sense.

Something else to consider, regarding the semi in pic 1 (1930s pre-war), also Victorian and Edwardian semis in general: The chimneys could be put next to each other, and the living rooms would also be better insulated from the cold outside. This isn't something I've been told, it's just a theory.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Ah I didn't know that, makes complete sense.

Something else to consider, regarding the semi in pic 1 (1930s pre-war), also Victorian and Edwardian semis in general: The chimneys could be put next to each other, and the living rooms would also be better insulated from the cold outside. This isn't something I've been told, it's just a theory.
    Again, it all makes sense, and that the idea was continued for new-builds.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

former council estate near where I used to work had some houses with doors together and some with doors apart, even though it was all built at the same time (1950s).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    former council estate near where I used to work had some houses with doors together and some with doors apart, even though it was all built at the same time (1950s).
    Is the power to these houses supplied by overhead cables?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is the power to these houses supplied by overhead cables?
    No, I'm pretty sure it isn't.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread