+ Reply to Thread
Page 329 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339379429829 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    As malt vinegar sold for commercial use is a concentrate, the user can decide how much dilution is required. The concentrate itself is pretty minging though.
    I think he used to experiment with various flavourings and (I think) acetic acids, to give the vinegar he used a unique taste. Customers often asked for little bottles of it to take home.

Anita managed a chippy for a few years, and before that she had her own mobile chippy van which did well until husband number two decided it wasn't worth him missing his "tea on the table when I get home", and made her sell it. So she knows a thing or two about catering. And has become more discerning in her choice of blokes
    Sounds like a real dinosaur! I wouldn't have lasted five minutes being like that with Del!! And she wouldn't treat me that way either. I shake my head in disbelief sometimes at what some folk appear to consider as acceptable behaviour in a relationship...

But yes, I'm sure Anita knew what she was doing when she was in the trade. So in terms of blokes, are you a cut above from what she was used to before [although maybe not in trouser dept]?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think he used to experiment with various flavourings and (I think) acetic acids, to give the vinegar he used a unique taste. Customers often asked for little bottles of it to take home.

Sounds like a real dinosaur! I wouldn't have lasted five minutes being like that with Del!! And she wouldn't treat me that way either. I shake my head in disbelief sometimes at what some folk appear to consider as acceptable behaviour in a relationship...

But yes, I'm sure Anita knew what she was doing when she was in the trade. So in terms of blokes, are you a cut above from what she was used to before [although maybe not in trouser dept]?

Marco.
    Ah, the trouser dept, I have fond memories of that. Here at PonyMart, during the latest 'rationalisation', the trouser department was closed down as it wasn't paying its way. We managed to hold on to the staff though, we moved them over to Complaints/returns, which has never been busier.

We could write a book on all the different ways that controlling, coercive pile of shit tried to ruin Anita's spirit, but for that you'll have to wait for the book to come out. So he didn't set the bar very high for me. So far I've lasted about twice as long as he did
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Ah, the trouser dept, I have fond memories of that. Here at PonyMart, during the latest 'rationalisation', the trouser department was closed down as it wasn't paying its way. We managed to hold on to the staff though, we moved them over to Complaints/returns, which has never been busier.
    Lol - or exchanges... Then if *it* is disappointing/unfit for purpose, IT can be changed/upgraded for a better model...

We could write a book on all the different ways that controlling, coercive pile of shit tried to ruin Anita's spirit, but for that you'll have to wait for the book to come out. So he didn't set the bar very high for me. So far I've lasted about twice as long as he did
    And I'm sure that'll continue, as long as she continues wearing the trousers!

Only kidding... I don't believe in any of that bollox, or who's 'the boss', and neither does Del... There should be NO 'boss' in a healthy relationship, but rather two equal partners, both working together as a team and playing to each others strengths - and when necessary practising some give and take, for each others mutual benefit or pleasure.

That's why when I see the term 'SWMBO' being bandied about forums, especially in relation to someone (usually a man, but the same would equally apply as 'HWMBO', if it were a woman), not being 'allowed' to have a certain pair of speakers in the lounge, or whatever, it really boils my piss... What the hell's that BULLSHITE about? Why does she (or he) always have the final say and make all the decisions??

And what's most worrying/alarming of all, is that this is presumed as being 'the norm'... Well, not in my world! You often hear (mainly men) uttering this sort of nonsense: "I just do what I'm told for a quiet life". Eh...? So you've effectively just signed up for life to be someone's subservient puppy, and their glorified slave? What kind of 'life' is that...?

I blame the fact that a lot of men/wimps seem to like being 'mothered', and so see their wives/partners as simply a mother-replacement, and who accordingly buy/choose their clothes for them, and give them 'pocket money' to spend, after the bills have been paid, etc.. I've seen it happening many times. Very weird!

That mentality is completely alien to Del or me. In my experience however, it does seem to be largely a British thing, especially among couples 'of a certain age', and certainly doesn't occur as often in the likes of Italian (or German) households, where people, both men and women, tend to be stronger willed, thus have minds of their own. Anyway, Anita's well rid of that wanker, mate. She's now got you to enjoy for the duration!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

I think it's crazy to generalise, especially about nationalities; are most Scottish couples like most English couples, for example? All marriages are different. The fundamental point is that thinking you can 'mould' someone to how you want them to be is doomed to failure. Accept a prospective partner for what they are, and decide if you can live with them long-term on that basis (and they, of course, will have to make the same decision themselves about you).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I think it's crazy to generalise, especially about nationalities; are most Scottish couples like most English couples, for example?
    I'm talking about Brits in general. Scottish, English, Irish - it doesn't matter: all have displayed those traits, to varying degrees. Of course I only mean "all" among those I've known, so naturally my views are simply based on that experience. There'll be plenty of others who don't exhibit those traits.

However, how often do you read on UK-based hi-fi forums about 'SWMBO' not allowing some bloke to do this or that? It's rife...

So that also confirms my views, and if you look, you'll not notice many 'foreigners' coming out with that crap. 9 times out of 10, it's someone from the UK, bemoaning that 'her indoors' won't allow him to get something (usually a big pair of speakers) - and that simply backs up what I've also seen in real life with my own eyes.

If my dad had tried that crap with my mum, she'd have given him a well-deserved slap, and vice versa. The same goes in my marriage, and that of anyone else in my family. No-one would put up with being a subservient sheep

All marriages are different. The fundamental point is that thinking you can 'mould' someone to how you want them to be is doomed to failure. Accept a prospective partner for what they are, and decide if you can live with them long-term on that basis (and they, of course, will have to make the same decision themselves about you).
    Indeed. I couldn't agree more. However, one wonders whether some 'marriages' are actually anything of the sort, and more closet dictatorships? Tip: if one person in a relationship starts talking about being 'the boss', then run while you can!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I also think the idea that hen pecked husbands is 'largely a British thing' to be absurd. I don't recall Rab C Nesbitt ruling the roof over his wife (or 'hen').
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Well, Rab was British, wasn't he? Or does being Scottish exclude you from British citizenship?

As I said, I can only speak from my particular experience. However, next time you see the term "SWMBO" used on a hi-fi forum, take a note of the context and where that person is from, and over the course of a year, I guarantee that on somewhere such as here or pfm, both of which are UK-based forums, but with worldwide membership, you'll see more evidence of hen-pecked Brits than foreigners.....

Even if you examine some of the British sitcoms, shown on TV over the years, portraying the lives of married couples, how often was the man portrayed as the 'meek, subservient husband'? I can think of loads, especially during the 70s, and not many (if any) the other way round! Terry & June, George and Mildred, Keeping Up Appearances, to name but three - all featuring heavily henpecked hubbies...

And I can assure you, that's not something you'd have seen in the likes of Italy, France or Germany, then or now!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Well, Rab was British, wasn't he? Or does being Scottish exclude you from British citizenship?

As I said, I can only speak from my particular experience. Next time you see the term "SWMBO" used on a hi-fi forum, take a note of the context and where that person is from, and over the course of a year, I guarantee that on somewhere such as here or pfm, both of which are UK-based forums, but with worldwide membership, you'll see more evidence of hen-pecked Brits than foreigners.....
    Yebbut these are postings on British hifi forums, which are overwhelmingly populated by British people. We don't know whether, for example, such things are mentioned on Italian or Greek hifi forums, and we wouldn't be able to read them if they were.

Even if you look at some of the British sitcoms on TV over the years, portraying the lives of married couples, how often was the man portrayed as the 'meek, subservient husband'? I can think of loads, and not many the other way round!

Marco.
    Sitcoms are obviously true-to-life. In reality of course, men were in charge throughout the 1960s and 70s when these sitcoms were made, and the reality for most households was that the husband (who went out to work) usually dictated to the wife (who stayed at home).

I'm Martin.

The sitcom relationship is comical because the idea (especially pre 1980s) of the woman being the dominant force in the relationship was absurd and hen-pecked husbands are intrinsic figures of fun. And yes, other cultures have similar sitcoms. You don't see them here because they are 'in foreign' and are mostly ripped off from our originals anyway. There's about 6 different foreign take offs of 'Only Fools And Horses.' And the Yanks ripped off Alf Garnet, Steptoe and Son and so on.

In the modern sitcom things have only subtly changed. Women are portrayed as smart and capable and men are dumb and useless. Sadly you also see this sort of emasculation presented in modern children's programmes e.g Peppa Pig. Which is far more insidious, and if you did it in reverse there would be a politically correct outcry like you wouldn't believe. (Would never happen though as a smart man getting the better of a stupid woman isn't funny, so you never see that in comedy of any period or nationality).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Yebbut these are postings on British hifi forums, which are overwhelmingly populated by British people. We don't know whether, for example, such things are mentioned on Italian or Greek hifi forums, and we wouldn't be able to read them if they were.
    Yes of course, but the point is there are still more than enough non-Brits posting there for it to be a bit of a 'coincidence' that it rarely, if ever, comes up, even under a different guise.

In my experience, they (especially females) tend to be a bit more accommodating than their British counterparts, which is often reflected in the pictures of member systems and the rooms housing them, shared by married couples or folks living with each other.

Examine how often the hi-fi system is treated as an accepted part of their lives and communal living spaces, and in comparison, how much 'we' talk about 'man caves', etc, and being forced to enjoy our hi-fi or music listening habits alone, or even banished to the garden, because of 'SWMBO'!

Sitcoms are obviously true-to-life. In reality of course, men were in charge throughout the 1960s and 70s when these sitcoms were made, and the reality for most households was that the husband (who went out to work) usually dictated to the wife (who stayed at home).
    I would agree only insofar as who occupied the most responsible/best paid positions in the working environment (which thankfully is changing now and much improved from what it once was, as I'm all for women's equality).

However, not at home, where in my experience, gained from watching the behaviour of my British friends and/or work colleagues, men were (and still are) largely bossed by their wives, and the sitcoms/soaps of the day reflected that situation, as it's what the majority of viewers would've expected and considered as the norm.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread