+ Reply to Thread
Page 697 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 197597647687695696697698699707747797 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,970 of 11773

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... Out of interest, what year/era are you describing, Paul?

I'm pretty sure we had a colour TV from around the early 70s, simply because I can remember watching Dr Who (and John Pertwee) in colour, and we always had a phone in the hallway. We had central heating and (Everest) double glazing installed in the late 70s, so no frozen windows, and even before that I always had s small 'Dimplex' electric heater in my bedroom, so the room was never that cold, plus a coal fire in the lounge

And as for chippies, my dad had two of his own!

Marco.
    Bloody posh bugger

Our TV couldn't receive BBC2 (405 line? instead of 625 I seem to remember, about 1969/70) - I had to put up with mates at secondary school going on about Rowan and Martin's laugh in and Mash and I didn't have a clue what they were going on about.
    We also had one gas fire in the "front room", bloody awful paraffin heater in the kitchen and no heating upstairs - I used to look forward to scratching pictures in the ice on my bedroom window. Never felt that cold though; would have been 1962/63 with the ice, proper winters in those days.

try to tell people nowadays.......

I'm Grant.

i never got to watch tv much anyway.. during day i was out and in evening it was mums toy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

77 Sunset Strip, Beverley Hillbillies, Mr Ed, Hawaiian Isle, Lost in Space, Sunday Night at the London Palladium, Batman, Man from UNCLE, and all the Gerry Anderson productions. I think that was about it as far as I remember.

Oh, and Preston 78475, that was our landline number in the 60s. Strange that I still remember that but can't recall what I had for tea yesterday.

And my dad worked for Telehire for a few years, so our telly was always something special. Oh and Marco, folk who couldn't afford to buy their TV outright (AKA most normal people) didn't get into debt for it, they just rented. With TVs being as dear and as unreliable as they were, it was the smart thing to do. Unless you had more money than sense and wanted to get ahead of the Joneses
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    77 Sunset Strip, Beverley Hillbillies, Mr Ed, Hawaiian Isle, Lost in Space, Sunday Night at the London Palladium, Batman, Man from UNCLE, and all the Gerry Anderson productions. I think that was about it as far as I remember.

Oh, and Preston 78475, that was our landline number in the 60s. Strange that I still remember that but can't recall what I had for tea yesterday.

And my dad worked for Telehire for a few years, so our telly was always something special. Oh and Marco, folk who couldn't afford to buy their TV outright (AKA most normal people) didn't get into debt for it, they just rented. With TVs being as dear and as unreliable as they were, it was the smart thing to do. Unless you had more money than sense and wanted to get ahead of the Joneses
    yup and kept me in a job for years until some bugger learned to make them reliable and both killed the rental business and 90% of the repair jobs
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i never got to watch tv much anyway.. during day i was out and in evening it was mums toy
    Telly for us kids was pretty much a tea time thing. Rest of the time was either outdoors, making and using weapons, playing with Meccano/Lego, drawing, or reading. I read quite a lot of books as a kid, you would be surprised to hear

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oh and Marco, folk who couldn't afford to buy their TV outright (AKA most normal people) didn't get into debt for it, they just rented. With TVs being as dear and as unreliable as they were, it was the smart thing to do. Unless you had more money than sense and wanted to get ahead of the Joneses
    Lol - what do you mean by "normal"? Who's "normal": yours or mine?

In any case, sure, but it wasn't me making those decisions - speak to my dad! Anyway, it was never yours though, a bit like renting a property - you just keep paying for something that you'll never own (or be an asset), so I guess their decision to buy a TV ('sensible' or not) centered around their dislike for that type of thing.

They were always used to owning what they had, which is probably where I get it from. Be your own boss, stay in control and be beholden to no-one. That kinda shit. An overall healthy mentality, in my view, especially considering how the world has turned out since!

One thing's for sure though, their desire to own their TV (like they owned everything else, including their house/business premises and car outright) would've had feck all to do with 'keeping up with the Joneses', as they simply weren't wired that way

Rather like me, they did their own thing and didn't give a fuck what anyone else thought!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Lol - what do you mean by "normal"? Who's "normal": yours or mine?

Marco.
    Since you took the trouble highlight it and ask the question, the answer is: my normal and almost everyone else in the sixties

You can't talk to us about your 60s life (central heating, own house, own telly, 2 shops and nothing on HP) and expect to be seen as normal by anyone but other posh folk Fortunately for the rest of us you like a bit of rough

Gotta go now, my normal folk Chinese has just landed...

T'other system:

A/V:

Since you took the trouble highlight it and ask the question, the answer is: my normal and almost everyone else in the sixties
    I'm not talking about the 60s though, I was really too young to remember any of it. I'm talking about the 70s onwards, which I can remember. "Normal" is simply what you're used to!

And we didn't consider ourselves as 'posh' - far from it.

My dad was fortunate to own a successful business, but had to work bloody hard for his money. And the money he earned was always spent on either his family or nice things for the house. He didn't smoke, gamble or drink to excess (much like me), which meant he had more disposable income than the folks with those unfortunate vices, who otherwise perhaps could've afforded the same...

Fortunately for the rest of us you like a bit of rough
    How dare you refer to Del like that! Lol, hope she's not reading this She certainly isn't that....

Gotta go now, my normal folk Chinese has just landed...
    Lol, do you live on Chinese food - don't you ever cook?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

I'm not talking about the 60s though, I was really too young to remember any of it. I'm talking about the 70s onwards, which I can remember. "Normal" is simply what you're used to!

And we didn't consider ourselves as 'posh' - far from it.

My dad was fortunate to own a successful business, but had to work bloody hard for his money. And the money he earned was always spent on either his family or nice things for the house. He didn't smoke, gamble or drink to excess (much like me), which meant he had more disposable income than the folks with those unfortunate vices, who otherwise perhaps could've afforded the same...

How dare you refer to Del like that! Lol, hope she's not reading this She certainly isn't that....

Lol, do you live on Chinese food - don't you ever cook?

Marco.
    indeed.. thats my niece your insulting
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol, Granty, could you *imagine* what princess Del would say to the notion of being my 'bit of rough'?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread