+ Reply to Thread
Page 692 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 192592642682690691692693694702742792 ... LastLast
Results 6,911 to 6,920 of 11761

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm trying to visualise what kind of person with nothing better to do thought that lot up.
    whoever it was, has obviously been speaking to the EU's institutional triangle far too much.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    they were plants.. the stalks were used to lash now we're talkin'
    No not quite

The ferula was a piece of whalebone about a foot long covered with hard rubber so that it presented a flat surface about two inches across. In practice this was given in doses of between 3 and 12 strokes although in theory it could go a high as 18, which was always called 'Twice Nine'.

All punishment was given in the 'Ferula Office' by the discipline master. If a boy was judged in class to deserve punishment, for misconduct, laziness or just a poor result in a test, the class teacher would write him a bill, a slip of paper saying how many strokes he was to get and why. This would need to be countersigned by the Lower/Middle/Upper School master and then within 24 hours he had to turn up at the Ferula Office for his punishment.

Funny how what we used to consider perfectly normal and commonplace 40 years ago would now result in jail time.

The thinking behind this system was humane (if you had to have corporal punishment at all). It ensured that boys were never beaten in anger. The countersigning ensured a sort of 'peer review' by a fellow teacher (although in practice this was meaningless) and the ferula itself, being flat, was much less likely to cause an injury than was a cane.[/I]
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No not quite

The ferula was a piece of whalebone about a foot long covered with hard rubber so that it presented a flat surface about two inches across. In practice this was given in doses of between 3 and 12 strokes although in theory it could go a high as 18, which was always called 'Twice Nine'.

All punishment was given in the 'Ferula Office' by the discipline master. If a boy was judged in class to deserve punishment, for misconduct, laziness or just a poor result in a test, the class teacher would write him a bill, a slip of paper saying how many strokes he was to get and why. This would need to be countersigned by the Lower/Middle/Upper School master and then within 24 hours he had to turn up at the Ferula Office for his punishment.

Funny how what we used to consider perfectly normal and commonplace 40 years ago would now result in jail time.

The thinking behind this system was humane (if you had to have corporal punishment at all). It ensured that boys were never beaten in anger. The countersigning ensured a sort of 'peer review' by a fellow teacher (although in practice this was meaningless) and the ferula itself, being flat, was much less likely to cause an injury than was a cane.[/I]
    cool.. mine was via this which is probably similar ..Latin ferula (“giant fennel (whose stalks were once used in punishing schoolboys); rod, whip”), from ferire (“to strike”).

wouldnt have been normal at my school. belting was common but not the cane; it would have got you in real trouble. in fact one teacher did hit a boy with one once and he got in real trouble. suspended and threatened with court and loss of job. once i reached 2/3 yaer i didnt take belt of any of them. if they tried it on then i'd defend myself..i once flung the pt teacher in swimming pool for trying to push me around he complained bitterly to rector, who asked me nicely not to be so rough... all he wanted was trophies for his display, which i gave him, so i got to do what i liked within reason.
    i rarely actually went to classes i was a very naughty boy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Freedom of speech disappears before our very eyes, and the media stand by and applaud.

Sad times indeed.

I remember when a man was a man and a woman was a woman.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm guy.

Lola

(will it be banned from BBC playlists?)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

i was a very naughty boy
    So was I!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Lola

(will it be banned from BBC playlists?)
    Doesn't matter, the BBC will soon be gone anyway. Hooray!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Martin.

cool.. mine was via this which is probably similar ..Latin ferula (“giant fennel (whose stalks were once used in punishing schoolboys); rod, whip”), from ferire (“to strike”).

wouldnt have been normal at my school. belting was common but not the cane; it would have got you in real trouble. in fact one teacher did hit a boy with one once and he got in real trouble. suspended and threatened with court and loss of job. once i reached 2/3 yaer i didnt take belt of any of them. if they tried it on then i'd defend myself..i once flung the pt teacher in swimming pool for trying to push me around he complained bitterly to rector, who asked me nicely not to be so rough... all he wanted was trophies for his display, which i gave him, so i got to do what i liked within reason.
    i rarely actually went to classes i was a very naughty boy
    I only had it once, 3 on each hand, can't remember what for but I think whatever it was I was not guilty. By my day they'd dispensed with the 'peer review' bit, you just went out into the corridor to get it. It hurt but was better than being punched in the head or similar which some would do. Had the cane in primary school for 'running' - now that did wreck, six strokes on the back of the legs, on a cold day, short trousers, that really stung. Of course even at seven years old it was a point of honour that you didn't flinch or indeed give any indication that you were at all bothered by it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm guy.

I never had corporal punishment.
    My mate (Mario) and I were taken to the head's office when we were at primary (about '67/68) and the head was apoplectic. I still remember clearly his red face and his shouting at us that if he had his way he would be using his cane to teach us a lesson, but that he was no longer allowed to, as it had been banned only a few weeks previously.
    Our punishment was no break times for a week, our "crime" - throwing snowballs at a passing double decker bus as we walked in to school.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    our "crime" - throwing snowballs at a passing double decker bus as we walked in to school.
    That was very naughty!

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread