+ Reply to Thread
Page 588 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 884885385785865875885895905986386881088 ... LastLast
Results 5,871 to 5,880 of 11724

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Walking the dog this morning past a field of "pulled" onions (laying out to dry before collection?) - the smell immediately took me back to my youth and a brand of cheese and onion crisps called "Chipmunk" (I think), is it rose tinted spectacles or are modern crisps crap in comparison?
    Ooh no, I couldn't be doing with that - if that smell was at the bottom of my garden, I'd have to move house. That's how much I love the smell of onions. Agree about modern crisps being crap though. They probably don't use lard any more
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    We should have a thread on 'evocative smells'.

Anybody remember the odour of Castrol R emanating from sportier motorbikes yonks ago?

(never been too sure how long a yonk is )
    Four donkeys to a yonk.

That old 2-stroke smell is my favourite of all. I once followed a scooter club outing from devil's bridge all the way back to Lancaster, just so I could bask in their smoky oily wake. Mrs. P didn't share my enthusiasm, having no such nostalgia, so she just tore past em and then waited for me further down the road.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That old 2-stroke smell is my favourite of all.
    That's the thing though, "old 2-stroke smell". Modern two stroke oil smells horrible, as of course does the modern petrol it's used with (and I use the word petrol loosely, 'cos it ain't).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

What about the smell of napalm in the morning?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What about the smell of napalm in the morning?
    without the lead, its not the same.. interesting that lead managed to get accepted as an additive as it was known from roman times to be dangerous... i guess the blame lies in the environmental Kuznets curve.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

The building I used to work in had a stairwell that would have a different evocative smell almost every day. Various smells that would rotate.

One day it might smell like a corridor in an fancy American hotel. If you've stayed in one you know that smell. The next day it would smell like the school my mother taught at in the 1970s. Chalk and disinfectant. Then it would smell like rain on warm concrete. Some days there was no smell at all. I've never been able to account for this.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

To Martin

As you are now working from home, and are likely to be doing so for the forseeable future, has your company placed any requirements on you as regards 'working conditions'? I ask as I have heard some companies are stipulating the same working conditions as would be in place in the office, be applied to working at home. In particular that when at your home desk computer you are not allowed to smoke. What's that all about? Surely it's a case of "my home, my rules". Knowing you to be a smoker what are your thoughts on the matter?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    To Martin

As you are now working from home, and are likely to be doing so for the forseeable future, has your company placed any requirements on you as regards 'working conditions'? I ask as I have heard some companies are stipulating the same working conditions as would be in place in the office, be applied to working at home. In particular that when at your home desk computer you are not allowed to smoke. What's that all about? Surely it's a case of "my home, my rules". Knowing you to be a smoker what are your thoughts on the matter?
    It's never been mentioned. But obviously I would ignore any such restrictions, aside from the fact that they would be un-enforceable, both legally and practically.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's never been mentioned. But obviously I would ignore any such restrictions, aside from the fact that they would be un-enforceable, both legally and practically.
    I was incorrect in stating "some companies" want to stipulate working-at-home conditions. At the moment it is just Hammersmith and Fulham council who are want to introduce a smoking ban when at a computer whilst working at home.

Agree it is un-enforceable, and if wasn't then by rightsyou ought to be able to charge them for the extra heating you have to use on their behalf.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Wgat is it with some folk and bog roll? I mean, emptying a store in minutes and going out with 100 rolls or more. It's Moronic.
    Shitty people
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread