+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic motorcycle

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    i only ever had the standard cx500,loved it although it did tend to feel alittle top heavy and dropped into corners
    They definitely were top heavy. I didn't like the feel of them, that's why I never bought one, despite the fact they were a decent enough bike. Bet you had the ever-rusting 'Comstar' wheels on yours.

I'm Geoff.

Talking of bikes that 'drop into corners'. Anybody ever ride a Kwaka GPX600R? That's the one with the sixteen inch wheels.

What a horror. I took one for a test ride, at every turn it just wanted to keep falling further as it leaned, really nasty. And it wasn't even usefully quick, no guts whatsoever apart from a short, mad, zing at the very top of the power band, useless. I walked away from that one quickly and bought a Honda CB-1 400 (naked 'Baby Blade') instead, which was a proper little cracker!!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They definitely were top heavy. I didn't like the feel of them, that's why I never bought one, despite the fact they were a decent enough bike. Bet you had the ever-rusting 'Comstar' wheels on yours.
    i certainly did geoff,it,but they where a lot worse on my 1982 goldwing for some reason...damn you mr honda

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Talking of bikes that 'drop into corners'. Anybody ever ride a Kwaka GPX600R? That's the one with the sixteen inch wheels.

What a horror. I took one for a test ride, at every turn it just wanted to keep falling further as it leaned, really nasty. And it wasn't even usefully quick, no guts whatsoever apart from a short, mad, zing at the very top of the power band, useless. I walked away from that one quickly and bought a Honda CB-1 400 (naked 'Baby Blade') instead, which was a proper little cracker!!
    Always thought the gpx was a step back from the gpz looks wise? I couldn't afford the insurance on the gpz600 so bought the gpz 500, nice handling with a cracking engine,though it was prone to carb icing, I don't think ice formed in the carbs ,more condensation which stopped one pot firing,
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

GPZ500 was a decent all rounder. Not too slow either.

My favourite comparatively recent bike was also a 500 twin, a Suzuki GS500F. Not fast, but compact and light and quick enough to be useful and a decent bit of mid torque. I also liked the predictable handling and gruff exhaust note. Easy to work on and good on juice too.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Always thought the gpx was a step back from the gpz looks wise? I couldn't afford the insurance on the gpz600 so bought the gpz 500, nice handling with a cracking engine,though it was prone to carb icing, I don't think ice formed in the carbs ,more condensation which stopped one pot firing,
    had a zzr1100,that was bloody lethal with carb icing problems...would start fine,then when your out and about it would cut out and do all kinds of silliness...
    went in for the official kwak mod which was routing some water pipes from the cooling system or something....whatever,it never solved the problem completely on my bike.
    loved the look of the gpz600,always wanted one,but i always had a thing about bigger is best and always went litre plus for most of the time...baring a ap50,fs1e,st70,ss50,dt175-250 mx,rd200,250,350,400,500 etc.

I'm steve.

I had a trx850 on the 90's that suffered with carb icing, put me off riding it in the cold..
    I'm in the process of restoring a little honda c110d. It has an oil line that runs through the carb to stop icing. They knew about these problems and cured them back in the sixties..
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Shaun.

had a zzr1100,that was bloody lethal with carb icing problems...would start fine,then when your out and about it would cut out and do all kinds of silliness...
    LOL all of my carb based Ducati's suffered really badly with carb icing whereas my GPz1000RX never did and that thing could drink petrol faster than I can drink Abbott Ale. I think that of my past experiences on motorcycles, the GPz1000RX was by far the best of mine.

I'm James.

went in for the official kwak mod which was routing some water pipes from the cooling system or something....whatever,it never solved the problem completely on my bike.
    loved the look of the gpz600,always wanted one,but i always had a thing about bigger is best and always went litre plus for most of the time...baring a ap50,fs1e,st70,ss50,dt175-250 mx,rd200,250,350,400,500 etc.
    No the mod didn't work on mine either and that was factory fitted
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    No the mod didn't work on mine either and that was factory fitted
    kawasaki eh...who would have em
    the zzr1100 had another killer trait up its sleeve to....cross winds....the shape of the bodywork seem to hate them,was never a dull ride that bike.....loved it for the motor and power band alone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast