Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
No thanks much prefer my 55'' LED to my old CRT tellys. I remember my old man getting a 26'' telly in about 1980 and we all marvelled at the size of the screen. Now it is 2018 and there are few promises realised from the 1960s and 1970s science fiction, which is disappointing, but affordable, massive hi-def screens are one of them.
Yeah, defo. Don't get me wrong, some of the best CRTs from back in the day, particularly Sony Trinitrons, were truly excellent and had very nice natural colours, and up until digital flat-screen technology had properly matured, I'd have taken one of those against some of the early examples of flat screens, as to my eyes the picture on the latter always looked rather 'forced' and unnatural in comparison.

However, that's no longer the case, and the latest (and best) OLED/HDR 4K TVs now take things to a whole new level, in terms of colour resolution and clarity, almost to the extent that with the best 4K Blu-Rays, and live UHD broadcasts (such as from the BBC), you don't feel as if the image you're looking at is on a screen, but rather genuinely lifelike, such is its almost tangible 'reach out and touch it' nature!

*BUT*, in order to experience that, and what these TVs are truly capable of, they MUST be properly calibrated, as outlined above (otherwise you're just pissing in the wind), so diligence here will pay significant dividends!

Marco.