+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldering irons

I'm Jerry.

Default Soldering irons

My soldering iron is a cheap one and I find it doesn't get hot enough at the tip. Its a 30watt model. Are the 60w ones better or should I go for a brand name?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Peter.

I think general advice on soldering irons would be really helpful. I would like to consider the possibility of doing my own DIY stuff, but I have no idea about soldering irons, what to get, how they work, and all that stuff. I hope Jerry won't mind if I ask that responses are a bit wider in their scope, and perhaps take a more simple, layman's tone. (Or maybe I should just start a new thread?)
    Peter

I'm InSpace.

There's just no substitute for good old practise.

Have a read here, and get stuck in!

--------------------------------------------------

My own set-up is quite simple.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...pply/32689/kw/

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fas...nges/30437/kw/

http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Tools.../61556/85-4850

It might look expensive at first but compared to some it isnt!... Will last for years and years too.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-02-2010 at 16:35.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    There's just no substitute for good old practice.

Have a read here, and get stuck in!
    Fantastic! I haven't got time to read properly and digest now, but that looks like just the ticket. Thank'ee!!
    Peter

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by symon View Post
    I think general advice on soldering irons would be really helpful. I would like to consider the possibility of doing my own DIY stuff, but I have no idea about soldering irons, what to get, how they work, and all that stuff. I hope Jerry won't mind if I ask that responses are a bit wider in their scope, and perhaps take a more simple, layman's tone. (Or maybe I should just start a new thread?)
    Good idea Symon, general soldering advice welcome.

Mike, I was afraid you would say a poor workman blames his tools (but in a diplomatic way) It really isnt hot enough at the end though. I am sure a better one would help....
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Have a look on ebay under soldering station - 50w Variable Temperature Control Soldering Station Iron (appears to be Maplins ex stock) for £12.99. You can buy various tips for it as well.

Should be good for most jobs unless it is those tiny surface mounted items then you will definitely need a flat tipped bit for it to go with the hands of a surgeon and eyes like a bat - sorry eagle.

Regards

Chris

I'm InSpace.

I've edited my post above to show the equipment I use...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Nice stuff Mike for anyone who intends to do a lot of mods or building. Cheapo ones are fine for small projects and a bit of tweaking. My own Maplins one has lasted nearly 5 years without any probs.

Not so much the type of iron but learning the right way and a bit of trial and error.

Regards

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Cheapo ones are fine for small projects and a bit of tweaking.
    Quite right!

Mine gets a hell of a lot of use, and has done for many years. Hence the 'investment'. It was worth it. A good point with the Weller is that the tips just never wear out, the one in there at the moment still looks new after almost five years!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Have a look on ebay under soldering station - 50w Variable Temperature Control Soldering Station Iron (appears to be Maplins ex stock) for £12.99. You can buy various tips for it as well.

Should be good for most jobs unless it is those tiny surface mounted items then you will definitely need a flat tipped bit for it to go with the hands of a surgeon and eyes like a bat - sorry eagle.

Regards

Chris
    Unfortunately I have had two Maplin solder stations (one cheap - on offer and the other more expensive). Both were crap and broke within a year. The tips are nothing ot write home about either.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast