+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Geoff.

Glad you got there eventually Mike. They can only get better!

You've not finished spending yet though. The paint cans will have to go, so you'll need short stands of some sort.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

You've not finished spending yet though. The paint cans will have to go, so you'll need short stands of some sort.
    Ah, bugger I forgot about that, mind you fill them with water and reuse

Bigman80 Guest

Fantastic mate. They look the business and guessing they sound amazing? Can't really tell from the vids!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Or for the price of a set of stands go the whole hog and buy these big boys in Edinburgh

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Or for the price of a set of stands go the whole hog and buy these big boys in Edinburgh
    Hmmm .. don't look to me like there's much science gone into the build, three massive holes for ports on the bottom of the front panel, without tubes in .. suggests the builder didn't really know what he was building. Pretty thin ply and pretty skimpy bracing for such big boxes too, they could be OK .. but more likely they could end up flexing and booming with every drumbeat.

And £200 ... my bet is they sounded horrendous and he wants rid asap.

I'm firmly of the view that cabs need to be designed specifically for the drivers, the room and the listener, as a holistic exercise. Just whacking up a box of the right volume and cutting a few big holes in seems to me like a recipe for disaster.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Hmmm .. don't look to me like there's much science gone into the build.
    Yes. They're rubbish. And the baffle recess is shaped for something other than Tannoys.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

I have to agree Tom, but not so much with you on matching cabinets to a room, and people think if it looks good that fulfils the requirement, when in fact that is the last consideration, and my Lancasters sounded like wardrobes.

I'm Mike.

Right guys, I've now sold my TQ Claymore Amp and I'm wanting to find the ideal amp to match my Berkeleys.

I'm currently using an EWA M-50 Power Amp with a Xiang Sheng DAC Pre, the two might be sold off to add to the TQ funds, although I'm not averse to just adding a really good Pre Amp into the EWA M-50 Power Amp.

So I'm looking at a budget of anything from £1000-£1750 give or take. Can be integrated, pre/power, valves, Solid State, not really fussy. I'm just looking to get the best out of my final set of speakers.

My tastes include everything from Americana, Female Vocalists, Electronic, Prog, Classic Rock, Hard Rock. I do also like to go to 11 at times too. I like good clean bass, thunderous bass ( I love live music ), good vocals, but I'm easily put off if treble is a bit harsh or edgy as I hate that.

I just don't want to buy blind without advice as not much is selling just now and don't want to buy and not like it then have to try and get rid of it in this poor market.

Rest of system is my heavily modded Technics 1210, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Denon Gold cart, Firebottle Vivant Phono stage, Raspberry Pi with Allo Boss DAC and of course the Tannoy Berkeleys, all of these items are keepers.

Remote control would be useful but not a deal breaker. It must look good too, although I realise that everyone's taste is different.

I SHOULD have bought Martin's Yoshino 8L6 but by the time I'd made my mind up and sold my TQ it was gone. Another poor decision on my part

Modern or vintage considered.

So if anyone can help that would be great.

I forgot to say second hand preferred to maximise bang for buck

I'll put this question in a separate thread over in Blank Canvas so no need to reply here. It'll save this thread going off topic.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 07-11-2017 at 07:14.

I'm Steve.

Trying to find one amp to do everything required of it is a challenge. Silicon integrated amps are great for the bass but lack subtlety for the HF. SET amps are great for HF but struggle with the bass.
    Push pull valve amps are somewhere in between. Jack of all trades.

You could always go active and use an amp ideally suited to the bass driver, something with decent damping factor and then a sweet little SET amp on the HF horn.

Best of both worlds, and then you are on that slippery slope again..
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Mike.

Default Tannoy Berkeley

Room is almost finished, I am about to buy some music related art for the walls, and the radiator will be replaced by one that’s less intrusive, but in the meantime here are a couple of photos.

Audio setup still in a state of flux, with Pre Amp or Integrated still on my shopping list. I’ve also to fit in an AV Receiver and Amazon Fire TV box so the unit will need to be changed, I might just order the same one but slightly taller. I still have the projector and 7ft screen fitted so we can still watch movies on the big screen. Surround system is 6.1 setup using B&W MT 30 speakers with B&W PV1 Subwoofer.

The first photo shows the ‘music room’ in relation to the rest of the living room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast