+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital vs. Analogue recordings: which are best?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Digital vs. Analogue recordings: which are best?

MPG event 2005 comparison with analogue and digital recordings: Music Producers Guild Event June 2005- video feature.

The MPG held an event at London's British Grove Studios to compare analogue with digital recording. Three digital contenders battled against the heavyweight 16 track 2 inch Studer A800. Watch this video feature.

http://www.recordproduction.com/mpg-...05-video1.html

Guys,

Please watch the above video and then offer you opinion on the outcome, together with your views on the subject, stating your preference if you have one.

My own view is that I would love to have been at the event and heard the results for myself, as it would have been a useful and educational exercise. However based on the feedback from those present I don't think the results are conclusive that digital is better.

Yes, RADAR seemed a popular choice because it was "clean" and "punchy", and was without doubt the favoured digital recording process of the test, with Nuendo next and Pro Tools last.

However quite a few of the guys favoured results on the A800, and considered the sound "richer", "wider" and more "complete", which is what I would expect from analogue, but it's interesting that high quality results can be obtained by RADAR. I wonder how widely is this process used in modern commercial recordings compared to for example Pro Tools or Nuendo?

The chap at the end summing things up was certainly impressed by RADAR but I got the distinct impression that for him the jury was still out, as he normally uses analogue as his "weapon of choice", although he did state that results vary wildly depending on what tape and machines are used. It seemed that the results with analogue in the test that day didn't match the high standards he was used to getting, so perhaps something was amiss...

What was interesting for me though was the guy who said that at first he really liked RADAR because it was so "punchy" but the more he listened to it the more he went off it. Could it be that RADAR, like many things digital, makes music sound superficially 'impressive' but unnatural sounding with long term listening? If so, then it's what I would have suspected based on my experience of listening to and making analogue and digital recordings myself.

I think the key word which was used to describe analogue recordings was "complete", and "incomplete" was used for the likes of Pro Tools, but not RADAR. The former is how I always view analogue recordings because when listening to them your brain doesn't have to fill in the gaps missing from digital, and so listening 'fatigue factor' is less, if indeed any is experienced at all with analogue.

It was an interesting video, and although intriguing, it certainly hasn't left me with the impression that modern digital recording techniques are undoubtedly superior to tried and tested analogue methods.

What does everyone else think?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Great video mate, nice find.

Without actually being there I couldn't say which I'd prefer, however what this test proves is this:

In this instance and this instance only, most of the guys there prefered the sound of the Radar digital systems recording over the Studer A800 recording. That's to say that most of them liked that recording, but it doesn't necessarily mean they prefer analogue over digital or vice versa, or in fact necessarily prefer either recording system over the other. It's simply only that recording, on that day, in that environment. And even then not all of them liked the same thing.

As I've said before I personally prefer digital sound reproduction (on the whole) but I think neither one is better than the other, it's just more suitable either way for certain types of music, musical instruments, environments, equipment and people. It all depends on the person listening at the end of the chain.

I have about 1500 CDs and no other replay media, and although I don't play them on a CD player the music I hear is most definitely stored in a digital medium. However despite how it's stored and re-played in my lounge, a vast percentage of those recordings were analogue recordings in the first place; Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, David Bowie, The Police etc etc all recorded before (on the whole) the advent of purely digital studios, and they all sound absolutely amazing!

Whether analogue or digital, it's the studio engineers who make a recording good - the recording system is just a tool. To level out a context, I'd be prepared to bet that if I was in a waxed canoe using the finest oars, wearing the lightest clothing and floating on calm water, Steve Redgrave would still be able to row a knackered old rowing boat along faster than I could go. Talent over tools.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Great video mate, nice find.
    Ashley sent it to me (apparently) to prove that digital recording methods are definitely better. Yes, quite...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Come on, has no-one else got an opinion on this?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ashley sent it to me (apparently) to prove that digital recording methods are definitely better. Yes, quite...

Marco.
    LOL! "Prove", yeah right. Maybe you should send him my post - or the section that's relevant anyway.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Marco.

Yeah.

The person that sent it to you must be an asshole if they think this is proof of one recording format to be superior to another.

ATB

David

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    The person that sent it to you must be an asshole if they think this is proof of one recording format to be superior to another.
    Funny you should say.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm InSpace.

Marco.
    Well yes, seeing as you ask.

I was distracted to the point that I burned my pork chops!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Yeah.

Now, how can someone with one of the very BEST EVER "EM" records as his avatar be so closed minded HMMM? TD fans are such a pleasant and open minded lot too.............Shame on you sir!

Top notch analogue recordings with 15 IPS Dolby SR apparently sound very impressive indeed, far better again than the largely grotty performance we use to get from the average Revox used at home. However there are very many variables to consider, such as the state of the tape machine and the quality and age of the tapes used on it, which was acknowledged in the article (which I sent to Ashley by the way) how different batches of tape differ.

Tapes recorded years ago can go off, moisture can affect the adhesion of oxide to backing and as far as I know, most Ampex masters from the seventies are now unplayable, having to be baked/dried in an oven before being played ONCE ONLY to take a digital safety copy! OK, I appreciate that there are thousands of masters from the fifties that have survived reasonably well, but a mastering engineer friend told me it was a race against time to digitise them all before some became unplayable through age.

Finally, it may surprise some of you to know that most Studer style tape machines used to play back the analogue masters when creating digital pre-masters have fairly limited HF response, depending on the age and wear of the heads, sometimes not much more than the lower 20KHz region. The tapes themselves will apparently lose a little too with time. The highest frequency I understand used when setting up the playback machines is 15KHz I understand (at least it was with the copy masters I played and the tapes I saw and heard at Decca when they were at Belsize Road)...

The article was talking about recordings and first, I found it great to hear an un-processed drum kit at the beginning, as most kits on a typical mix have the life throttled out of them. Obviously, the download link won't be of the highest fidelity anyway and as none of us were there (?) it's more difficult to hear what the monitors were reproducing, as the sound feed on the link seemed to come from a mic or two in the control room, rather than from the desk. I have to trust the opinion of the experts who were present and I understand the conclusion was that analogue recording quality on the Studer could be much better than they had that day and that the Radar system was the best of the digital systems (when "everyone" uses pro-tools......).

P.S. I can't remember if Howard sold Linn's products in the late seventies/early eighties but at the time, they did an "Analogue/Digital" LP with the same music "take" done with the studio analogue tape system and a Sony betamax digital recorder (PCM F1?) and didn't tell anyone which side was which. Everyone I spoke to preferred what turned out to be the digital side (confirmed by discussions with the Linn guys and sales ladies).

Nothing wrong with either format if you ask me, it's HOW each format is used that's important....
    Last edited by DSJR; 09-05-2008 at 16:28.

I'm ILOB.

Cheers fo the video link, suggests that RADAR is the better medium to record on and that analogue as a recording tool can either be magical or disappointing depending on the machine and tape. Just goes to show the amount pf effort a good producer outs into creating a good sound.
    I am sure digital as musical medium can still improve, its more of a science and therefore eaiser to control but i am not sound engineer so maybe wrong
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast