I've heard and been beguiled by Fujitsu Eclipse TD712z speakers at two Bristol Hi-Fi shows.

So when @daws0n put a pair of the smaller TD508 MKII on sale recently I couldn't resist the opportunity of getting my hands on them.

To be honest, I was thinking I would either have them for a short while and then sell them on or perhaps have them replace the Heybrook HB1s I have in my home office. I wasn't expecting to be seriously considering having them replace my Spendor S3/5R2 speakers.

When I first put them into my system, I was a little confused by the result. It didn't sound right. I listened to a few albums with them in place and then went to bed. The next day I put the Spendors back in, listened to some of the same albums again. Then I put the Eclipses in again, and they've stayed in place since.

Swapping between the two identified the difference between the two. And it's timing.

Both are small speakers, that concentrate on presenting a detailed uncoloured sound. Both have limited bass (I have a sub-woofer to add in more bass when I miss it too much ) So a lot is the same. If anything the Eclipses are slightly sharper at imaging.

So how does the timing differ between the two.

Well with the Spendors the music feels as a whole. The details of each instrument are clear and I can easily follow each through each piece of music, but the overall effect is that all the instruments are travelling together though the music. The results is lovely - The Spendors have given me hours of pleasure, and I fell in love with them the moment I heard them.

With the Eclipses it's like each instrument has its own line through the music. On initial listening, it's can sound wrong. But the more I listen, the more I like it.

If I was to summarise the difference between the two it's that the Spendors travel the sweetest path through the music, whereas the Eclipse produces a more warts and all presentation, which often (though not always) results in what sounds like a more real experience.

Currently, I'm thinking of keeping both sets of speakers and alternating them. I really can't decide which I most want to live with in the longer term. Eventually, I want to get bigger alternatives. I have been dreaming of getting some larger BBC style speakers (Larger Spendor classics, Harbeths or Grahams), but now I wonder whether the next speakers with be some Eclipse TD712z.

So in some ways the Eclipses have given me a problem - I now have more speakers than systems to connect them to. But its a good problem, and one I'm thoroughly enjoying having.