+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AlloBoss/Audiophonics/Mo0de/Volumio initial comparison

I'm Richard.

Update:
    The iFi 5V supply came two days earlier than expected. I have plugged it into the AlloBoss system and am using Radio Paradise as a sound source. I cannot tell the difference between the iFi and the stock Rpi ps.

R

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Update:
    The iFi 5V supply came two days earlier than expected. I have plugged it into the AlloBoss system and am using Radio Paradise as a sound source. I cannot tell the difference between the iFi and the stock Rpi ps.

R
    Oh no, how disappointing. I was about to pull the trigger on an ipower myself. Perhaps I will try a battery pack instead...

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Oh no, how disappointing. I was about to pull the trigger on an ipower myself. Perhaps I will try a battery pack instead...
    I don't know if the iFi device requires a 'burn-in' but I'll do another test later this week. Please remember that all my comments relate to me and my equipment (and I'm nearly 70 years old!). The iFi is cheap enough for a 'punt' without breaking the bank.

On a side issue, last time I tried the AlloBoss/Audiophonics comparison I used Radio Paradise 320, and this time the difference between the two seemed less apparent. Not what I was expecting!

If you do try a battery pack I'd be most interested in your findings.

Thanks,

R

I'm Clive.

I found a mobile charger battery to be better than the iFi on my RPi3. Better still is the Sbooster I've just put in the system today. I tried the 5V supply from my HDPLEX linear power supply but didn't like it - to be fair the 5V output isn't meant to be the greatest. Sbooster is the winner out of the power supplies I've tried.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Grant.

Some battery packs are better than others I will say. Much depends on the electronics inside. I also use one for my rpi and for both my chromecasts
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Some battery packs are better than others I will say. Much depends on the electronics inside. I also use one for my rpi and for both my chromecasts
    I totally agree. It took me a while to settle on the RaviPower one that I've used for quite some time in preference to the iFi. I can't say the Ravi is the best out there, just the best of the ones I tried. The Sbooster is very good though (even better) and it doesn't need recharging. BTW I using an Allo DigiOne on an RPi3.

Battery is still a good and cost effective option.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm rupert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    System in use: Schiit Saga preamp + Quad 306 (DADA and RedHill modified) + Living Voice speakers.

Comparison between:
    Rpi2 + Allo Boss + Volumio + Rpi power supply
    With:
    2. Rpi3 +Audiophonics sabre Es 9018 + MoOde + Linear PS.

The original comparison used different output leads. I have now rectified this and the Chords have been replaced by QEDs -(Profile Audio), which I view as being slightly superior.

I have run several blind comparisons between the two, using Radio Paradise and BBC Radio 3 as sound sources.

I view the AlloBoss as being slightly superior in almost all aspects of SQ, namely: better separation of instruments allied to a more widely spread soundstage; better bass and a better ‘high end’ (the ‘high-hats’ are, for example, more pronounced). These effects were less pronounced when listening to a live BBC radio3 concert.

I am aware that these contrasts could be due to software differences. Has anyone else run comparisons?

One wonders if a different/ ‘better PS’ would further enhance the AlloBoss.

Richard.
    Also using a modded 34/306 (Dada) to KEF LS50 speakers sourced from an Allo Kali + Piano2.1 and a linear PSU. I also use a couple of Sabre based DAC's running on Pi2's. Comparatively, IMHO, I find both to sound very good but the Allo re-clocked dual mono setup has the edge because it seems have more "space" to it. It is currently my main DAC and music source (using Spotify premium).

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    "Allo re-clocked dual mono setup"
    Rupert,
    Can you expand on what you have done to achieve the above (on the Piano 2.1)

I would like to reconfigure the 2.1 but didn't want to have to learn the TI coding approach - have you got another way to re-configure the 2 onboard DAC's ?

Mel

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Rupert,
    Can you expand on what you have done to achieve the above (on the Piano 2.1)

I would like to reconfigure the 2.1 but didn't want to have to learn the TI coding approach - have you got another way to re-configure the 2 onboard DAC's ?

Mel
    Dual Mono mode is now available as a setting both in Volumio and Moode.

Yatsushiro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    Dual Mono mode is now available as a setting both in Volumio and Moode.
    And PiCorePlayer, possibly DietPi as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast