+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubehunter Class D Stereo Power Amplifier

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Edward.

Default Tubehunter Class D Stereo Power Amplifier

Today I got one of Duncan's (Tubehunter) class D amps which he was flogging the other day. Amp based on modules from Sure Electronics.

Switched out my Radford STA25 and inserted the Class D Amp - and Wow! Amazing ...

Had a few hours of settling in and these are singing very sweetly. Wide open, fast and just 'grips' the music. Very precise sound with nice balance across the dynamic range. An easy non fatiguing listen, especially once warmed up. I rather expect that over the next days they will settle in more.

Honestly I'm shocked how musical this amp is, not as sweet/warm perhaps as my Radford STA25, but still very engaging with lots of depth and 'presentation' - really quite the opposite of what one generally expects of a Class D amp - normally expected to be thin sounding and whatnot.

Just saying ...
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Damn ! Missed out on one of these.
    Glad you got one Edward, I'd like to hear it
    When I next drop by.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Funny I was going to post something similar (and I also have an STA25 Mk3 in the main system at the moment)

This is driving a pair of Tannoy DC6es in my study, preamp is a rather nicely specced Pass B1.

It sounds very nice indeed, very musical, warm, engaging. I'm rather impressed. I will give it a go in the main rig at some point though the study will be its home. It's replacing a 2024 Tripath I also got from Duncan and while I really liked that amp this is most definitely an improvement. Very grown up sound and not in the least grainy or cold which you sometimes get from digital.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Funny I was going to post something similar (and I also have an STA25 Mk3 in the main system at the moment)

This is driving a pair of Tannoy DC6es in my study, preamp is a rather nicely specced Pass B1.

It sounds very nice indeed, very musical, warm, engaging. I'm rather impressed. I will give it a go in the main rig at some point though the study will be its home. It's replacing a 2024 Tripath I also got from Duncan and while I really liked that amp this is most definitely an improvement. Very grown up sound and not in the least grainy or cold which you sometimes get from digital.

I've already mentioned to Duncan that I may ask him to build some monoblocks based on these modules/amps. Today's experience takes me closer to that idea.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Very grown up sound and not in the least grainy or cold which you sometimes get from digital.
    It's not digital Tom.

Class D and the older Tripath amps are analogue. They use high speed switching to construct the waveform envelope. Rather like AM radio.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Damn ! Missed out on one of these.
    Glad you got one Edward, I'd like to hear it
    When I next drop by.
    Anytime Adam. In fact you can borrow it when you get your speaker project up and running.

You back in London or still on hols?

I'm Adam.

Thanks Edward, back in the Smoke now.Trying to stop the Mrs. doing the sums to sell up and go to Cornwall, she does this wherever we go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Anytime Adam. In fact you can borrow it when you get your speaker project up and running.

You back in London or still on hols?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Thanks Edward, back in the Smoke now.Trying to stop the Mrs. doing the sums to sell up and go to Cornwall, she does this wherever we go!
    Take her to Middlesbrough in February for your next holiday, Adam, that'll cure her

I'm Mike.

Having now listened for a couple of weeks, my write up on my one of these (a little different, as it has a 500 VA Traffo) is, "For sale, one Quad 405-2, in excellent condition".
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Lawrence.

I was mulling over these too, but in the end decided I didn't need it having a good ice power amp. Would still like to hear it though.

The Virgos are sounding great on the end of my Ariand/Yarland EL34 amp now if you want to hear them. So much so I've arranged to buy the later version of the amp with switchable pentode/triode mode.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast