+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl illusion ?

I'm Shaun.

Default The vinyl illusion ?

Back in the mid sixties we always had a Dansette Tempo in the house and loads of 7" vinyl singles to listen to so I guess a love of vinyl was inevitable. Around 1973 my Mom bought me an ITT stereo with a BSR autochanger and I had a few albums mainly by Roxy Music. In 1977 I had a huge motorcycle smash, spent five months in hospital and two year away from work. Just after that period I bought my first 'real' hi-fi system which was a Garrard GT35 turntable, Trio 40 Wpc amplifier and Goodmans RB20 loudspeakers. After a year, the amplifier was changed to a Naim 42/110 combination and then, a short while later I bought a Logic DM101. In 1983 my dreams came true and I bought my first ever CD player, a Yamaha CDX1. Around 1988 I bought a Cambridge Audio CD2. At this point I basically scrapped my vinyl LP collection only keeping around 100 of my more precious discs.

Moving on to 1997 I got the feeling that vinyl was probably not that bad after all and bought an Alphason Sonata with an Alphason HR100S MCS tonearm and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt a cartridge with an appropriate phono stage. Obviously I started to buy lots of vinyl to replace what I once had.

During 2005 - 2012 my financial position crashed and I was living in a very bad situation so everything was sold to keep the baying wolves from the door. Now though, thanks to my current partner Sue and her love of music and vinyl, I am back where I want to be; almost ! I still have a problem with vinyl. I am almost convinced now that I am suffering from the 'vinyl illusion'. It appears to me that the whole vinyl scene is one of mental expectation and the thought of vinyl playing actually being a lot better than the reality. The memory of playing vinyl records is an illusion created by our minds and the reality falls way short of this illusion. It is a glorious thing to play a vinyl record on a really nice turntable/arm/cart, flipping the sides over each time and just engulfing ones self in this beauty. The truth though is that it is nothing more that a pain in the arse full of old junk technology ?

Someone please let me know where I am going wrong.

I'm Mike.

Well everyone in my family, ages ranging from 8 to 79 will say that they prefer Vinyl to listen to

And as for you going wrong, how so? Surely only you know what's right for you?

As for a pain in the arse, well that's what my wife thinks of me, but she loves me to bits, I must be vinyl

I'm James.

No point thinking how vinyl was in the past, it's now that matters. If the vinyl experience is not a good one then why stick with it? You have a good alternative with digital systems now that can now compete with vinyl sonically.

Vinyl is not an illusion as my experience was in reverse to yours. I thought vinyl was a thing of the past and lived with digital for years before going back. Vinyl can still sound magnificent and for me edges digital for a musical realistic experience. Digital still sounds err digital although the gap is closing and indeed the best sounds more analogue.

I think if you have both enjoy the benefits they can bring to your musical experience and don't get hung up on illusions. Live in the now and choose which sounds best to you.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I don't think you are tbh.

I'll now don my crash helmet and get behind the couch.

I'm Grant.

You can never totally discount expectation bias is my advice, being in a similar position although for different reasons. There can be differences although as Jim says, if both are set up well it is fractional. I do miss turning those records though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

I both sympathise and empathise with your position.

My view is that even with thousands spent on vinyl replay, it is such a limited medium, and illustrably so in many objectively verifiable ways, it is nowhere near good digital sound.

Psychology provides insight into what is going on in our minds when we eulogise vinyl, and, for most of us, we were young and it formed a part of our development and formation - imprinting.

It also was the case that in the main vinyl period there was much development occurring which did improve SQ, and this also coincided with a renaissance in the art itself.

We are very much integrators of our I/P for survival reasons, and this makes it very difficult to fully isolate any one factor and evaluate it objectively, and so we are vulnerable to association and transference.

Look at the way that, particularly music and also smell, are virtual indexes of past experience.

I romanticise vinyl, and, 45 years later, I swear that if I sniff my DSOTM too closely I get stoned.

We also tend to be creatures of habit, and as one ages, the ability or motivation to 'keep up' places great demands on us; you can see many examples of people 'falling by the wayside' as they age.

The enclosed art with a record also is more accessible and is more plentiful, and we may also be entranced by a beautiful record deck, it is more tangible than the abstract nature of digital. I am considering an Alphason for my Linn, (the latter of which I am not keen on).

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Back in the mid sixties we always had a Dansette Tempo in the house and loads of 7" vinyl singles to listen to so I guess a love of vinyl was inevitable. Around 1973 my Mom bought me an ITT stereo with a BSR autochanger and I had a few albums mainly by Roxy Music. In 1977 I had a huge motorcycle smash, spent five months in hospital and two year away from work. Just after that period I bought my first 'real' hi-fi system which was a Garrard GT35 turntable, Trio 40 Wpc amplifier and Goodmans RB20 loudspeakers. After a year, the amplifier was changed to a Naim 42/110 combination and then, a short while later I bought a Logic DM101. In 1983 my dreams came true and I bought my first ever CD player, a Yamaha CDX1. Around 1988 I bought a Cambridge Audio CD2. At this point I basically scrapped my vinyl LP collection only keeping around 100 of my more precious discs.

Moving on to 1997 I got the feeling that vinyl was probably not that bad after all and bought an Alphason Sonata with an Alphason HR100S MCS tonearm and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt a cartridge with an appropriate phono stage. Obviously I started to buy lots of vinyl to replace what I once had.

During 2005 - 2012 my financial position crashed and I was living in a very bad situation so everything was sold to keep the baying wolves from the door. Now though, thanks to my current partner Sue and her love of music and vinyl, I am back where I want to be; almost ! I still have a problem with vinyl. I am almost convinced now that I am suffering from the 'vinyl illusion'. It appears to me that the whole vinyl scene is one of mental expectation and the thought of vinyl playing actually being a lot better than the reality. The memory of playing vinyl records is an illusion created by our minds and the reality falls way short of this illusion. It is a glorious thing to play a vinyl record on a really nice turntable/arm/cart, flipping the sides over each time and just engulfing ones self in this beauty. The truth though is that it is nothing more that a pain in the arse full of old junk technology ?

What are your issues with vinyl Shaun ? Without knowing exactly its hard to comment.
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Personally I spent years and a whole load of bunce trying to get digital to sound analogue only to finally realise that the only thing that sounds analogue is analogue.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Personally I spent years and a whole load of bunce trying to get digital to sound analogue only to finally realise that the only thing that sounds analogue is analogue.
    That's how it is and I don't think the two will ever sound the same. There is is still a cold disconnected feel to digital, it lacks soul and our brains are still not tricked into thinking we are listening to something that sounds real. I believe digital has come a long way but it is not there yet.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That's how it is and I don't think the two will ever sound the same. There is is still a cold disconnected feel to digital, it lacks soul and our brains are still not tricked into thinking we are listening to something that sounds real. I believe digital has come a long way but it is not there yet.
    Amen to that. Totally agree. I think that one has to spend eye-watering amounts of cash on digital and it still falls way short of even a half decent T/T
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast