+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rexton's Valve System - Upgrade Blog

I'm Brian.

I'm very happy with the GL75 already mate but I'm pretty sure this new bearing will be the '' icing on the cake ''
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Finally managed to put everything back together again. I repaired the SME 3012 this afternoon and bolted on the new SPU Mono GM mk II and instantly noticed more rasp to double base strings. Vibes seem to take longer decay and hang around in the air a little more than what I'm used to. The 301 is playing through my solid state system at the moment until I get my Tannoy XO's sorted out. Paul @ RFC has now taken delivery of these and it should be 4-6 weeks before I get them which means I have that time to get the bearing and new Paradise phonostage mods bedded in. I'm now debating about how I can better brace the bearing on my 301. I'm also looking into how I can mod the 301 to squeeze a little more performance out of her. Ah, the quest for sonic nirvana continues...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

New PSU arrived today for the 834 clone, have some fun over the weekend putting it together.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marra View Post
    They do Brian although all long versions are sold out.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=25857.0
    anyone have the direct contact of the bearing maker? (not via LencoHeaven)
    Am curious to find out what else they do? Ta

That turntable is lovely.
    Last edited by drSM; 21-09-2017 at 04:37.
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Andrew.

New EAR 834 RIAA board arrived today. Just getting the bits together for a "super" 834 clone.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Decisions decisions.

I'm looking for some new ECC83's to try against the Mullard ECC83's from the 70's. I found these

https://www.watfordvalves.com/produc...il.asp?id=4158

OR

http://www.hotroxuk.com/general-elec...751-valve.html

OR

http://www.hotroxuk.com/general-elec...n-12ax7wa.html
    Hi Before you pull the trigger on these valves you shoulg read this re 5751 valves
    /www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#12AX7-3

The prices quoted are a bit steep and also read up on rolling the valves in the 834.
    You can find the info on Wigwam.....sorry!
    I was lucky enough to fond a matched quad of JHS Sylvania grey plate from the 50's to inhabit my Hovland ............divine
    The later 70's versions are good but not that good
    Hope the reading helps but initially it confused the hell out of me
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    Hi Before you pull the trigger on these valves you shoulg read this re 5751 valves
    /www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#12AX7-3

The prices quoted are a bit steep and also read up on rolling the valves in the 834.
    You can find the info on Wigwam.....sorry!
    I was lucky enough to fond a matched quad of JHS Sylvania grey plate from the 50's to inhabit my Hovland ............divine
    The later 70's versions are good but not that good
    Hope the reading helps but initially it confused the hell out of me
    Thanks Martin. It's always good to get as much info as possible on these things.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Well. I have been busy again and have ordered a new PSU for the Garrard.

This is coming from Bulgaria!!! It offers my the same stability as my old Pheonix Engineering system but also allows me to play around with the Hz and Voltages going into the 301's motor. I've been playing around with a similar unit on my Lenco 75 and I'm extremely happy with the results so I'm hoping that this should also help fine tune the 301's performance. The EAR super clone is still progressing nicely and I'm still waiting for my new Radford STA100 and RFC custom made XO's upgrades.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

New reference Tannoy XO's delivered.

Ordered some of these https://markgrant.co.uk/audio-cables...t-0110-ag.html I got pissed off with some ground loop hum. I've been trying some Cu cables from Mark Grant and whilst they are OK they dont sound the same as Ag.

Some pics to follow.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

A few more changes to the valve system.

Firstly the Van Damme 6mm has been replaced with 3mm solid core pure silver.

DSCN3401.jpg

The difference is immediate with this cable providing an instant improvement in clarity and delivery, gone is the lazy presentation of the Van Damme. I can hear instant improvements in Timbral delivery.

A new pure silver power cable for the Garrard 301 motor and new speed controller when it arrives. Simple 1mm solid core silver in very light weight silver so there is no strain on the motor.

DSCN3402.jpg

New Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold XO's. These are now fully burned in and produce exception timbrel detail and really complement the new pure silver speaker cables.

DSCN3403.jpg

Last but not least. Just when I fancy listening to a MM cartridge. I have the now Super EAR 834 clone. This is still a work in progress but the results are stunning. This is the best MM phonostage I have EVER heard.

DSCN3404.jpg

So, I'm pondering a new plinth and maybe a new SPU, maybe for 2018.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast