+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Rexton's Valve System - Upgrade Blog

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Pictures please! IMFs are cool. Weren’t IMF the pioneers of transmission line cabinets?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Pictures please! IMFs are cool. Weren’t IMF the pioneers of transmission line cabinets?
    Rob, just for you old bean.

The mid range driver is buggered, they dry out over time and this is a well known failure for these speakers.

So, it was a quick trip over to Falcon Acoustics and I ordered a pair of these https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dr...-midrange.html , I'm now £85 lighter. . So, what do I intend to do with these? Well, I'll probably guess they'll have manky old elcap caps sitting on the XO which if anything like those on my JR149's were about 10-20% of tolerance . Speaker binding posts are a bit naff as well so I'll probably get some nice solid Cu jobbies, maybe a rewire and then that's it. These little babies really do bass. I'm pleasantly surprised with them and I'm happy I purchased them and now I just wander what the bigger IMF's can do.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Edward.

I have IMF ALS speakers so very interested to see what work you do with your Super Compacts - particularly the caps. I've yet to recap mine, but they sound lovely as is.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have IMF ALS speakers so very interested to see what work you do with your Super Compacts - particularly the caps. I've yet to recap mine, but they sound lovely as is.
    Hi Edward. Mine sound amazing as they are. TBH I like to mess around a bit so I'm thinking so high end Mundorfs.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Hi Edward. Mine sound amazing as they are. TBH I like to mess around a bit so I'm thinking so high end Mundorfs.
    Falcon sell IMF cap sets for peanuts using Allcaps (i'm sure you have seen). I bet going higher end such as Mundorf's will be yummy. The caps in my ALSs are hard to get to - needs a bit of cutting away of tie downs etc. Have you opened up your Super Compacts yet?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

I've not opened them yet but that will have to happen when I put the new drivers in.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Nice! They look ace. After a bit of a refurb they'll be splendid.

Transmission line?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Grant.

used to own a set of imf's. nicely made speakers, but mine needed a bit extra umph than the stats suggested. sold them on. they were minty tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    used to own a set of imf's. nicely made speakers, but mine needed a bit extra umph than the stats suggested. sold them on. they were minty tho
    I would have to agree with you. I think a nice big Krell would probably get the best out of these, but, I'll just turn up the volume on the Croft a bit more. I have no more space in my listening room. I have 5 pairs of speakers sitting in here at the moment.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Nice! They look ace. After a bit of a refurb they'll be splendid.

Transmission line?
    Thanks, yep, transmission lines.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast