+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rexton's Valve System - Upgrade Blog

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure, but the point is that I no longer have valve regulation in my Croft - it's been replaced by MOSFET solid-state, which in that particular application is just all-round better.

And yes, my PSU has been externalised and considerably beefed up. There are about four of those transformers, what's in your amp (and bigger) inside it, individually powering different parts of the circuit. Josie (Black Adder) has gone even further with hers. You should ask her to post some pics - it's quite something!

So did you hear any difference with the M8098?

Marco.
    OK, I'll see what I'm missing. Probably have a word with Josie and see what the deal is. Could be something to look into for the new year. I'm not sending the Croft off before Xmas, I have many Jazz and Whisky session planned over Xmas.

Marco.
    Blimey, your Eager with the 8098. Yes I have seen a nice up-tick in detail retrieval, not massive but well worth the outlay. It's difficult to say just how the valve has had an impact on the system it just sounds, "right" which I know sounds a little strange but that's the only way of really detailing what I'm hearing. I've always had a very wide soundstage with massive amounts of separation between instruments, plenty of depth, very 3D. The wardrobes just disappear. I'm getting a little more of everything that I've just described. What about you, what are your thoughts?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, that makes sense. Enjoy yourself over the festive period and have the mods done in stages. Glenn's always up for doing that type of work, so I'd give him a shout and he could also advise you of any other tweaks he'd recommend

I reviewed the M8098 on my gallery thread.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Hey Marco, just had a word with Firebottle. I do indeed have MOSFET power regulation installed. So now probably think about externalising the Traffo's. Tried calling Glenn todat but no reply.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Mmm... I'm no expert, but I don't see how:

There are no Mosfets there I can see, and that looks suspiciously like a regulator valve to the left of the mains transformer, attached to the Jensen PSU caps... Which btw, being electrolytic types can also be upgraded for quality polyprops, such as the Mundorf Tubecaps I use: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/com...p_tubecap.html

But that can be done when the PSU is externalised and increased in capacity. However, perhaps you could ask Alan to comment here and explain how the Mosfet regulation has been installed?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

From Alan,

"The line stage valves effectively have both Mosfet and valve regulation.

The main supply is valve regulated that feeds all stages, line and phono.
    The line stages were converted to mu follower circuit which incorporates Mosfet regulation as well.

Mosfet's used = IRF820"

Sounds impressive, I'm sure people "in-the-know" will clarify what all that means.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Interesting... Yeah, I'm not sure, but this is what the Mosfets (which would be inside the heatsinks shown) look like in my Croft:

So I was looking for something like that in yours... All I can presume is that he's managed to construct a bypass of some kind, thus allowing the original components to remain in place.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

Marco there is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

Look at the main aluminium plate, just above each Silver Z cap there are the Mosfets, bolted to the plate as a heatsink.

Yesh, I spy it now!

So, is what looks like a rectifier valve, to the left of the mains transformer, now redundant? It also appears to be connected to the Jensen PSU caps... Or if it's not a rectifier valve, what is it? Is it an ECC83 (with an 85A2 underneath)? Being somewhat obscured, it's difficult to see.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Interesting... Yeah, I'm not sure, but this is what the Mosfets (which would be inside the heatsinks shown) look like in my Croft:

So I was looking for something like that in yours... All I can presume is that he's managed to construct a bypass of some kind, thus allowing the original components to remain in place.

Marco.
    Those are heatsinks for the MOSFETS mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Lol - yeah I know... That's why I said mine look like that *with Mosfets inside*

What threw me initially, was that I was looking for some big black heatsinks inside Andy's amp, which I knew would contain the Mosfets, but of course couldn't see any for reasons since given!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast