+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What is it with cyclists ?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yes, i think the, making cars too easy to drive hasnt helped in this. There used to be a bit of work involved in driving, but a kid could do it now.(often think they are) lol.

Govt has failed in its duty to provide proper transport infrastructure for most outwith major cities, but these folk get no subsidy for having to use a car. The bus into town(about a mile) is well over a pound now. Each way. Takes 45 secs. That is if it comes. Disabled cant get on and if they did manage the drive sets off before people are seated. Heard plenty old folk say theyve been badly shaken around etc. After 6 pm youve no chance. Taxi for same journey is £5 . You can see how you need a car
    £2.80 here minimum fare in the soft south, to the next village 1.5 miles away. My wife - who doesn't drive but takes a taxi 13 miles to work and back every day in term time (the logic being it's cheaper than running her own car) was a bit shocked the one time she used it. There is a cycle path but it vanishes in thevillages themselves for some inexplicable reason

My lad lives with his mum and stepdad about 15 miles in Bristol out in the wops. He is learning to drive as there is no serious alternative to get him to college - there's a bus every two hours that stops at every lamp post and takes an hour and a half to get to the city centre. No cycle path and it's far too dangerous to encourage him to cycle.

There's a train station in my Berkshire village but with one train an hour at peak time (two hours off peak) it's not really a service that can be relied on and I generally drive to a better option if I'm going to London. If they electrified it we could have two trains an hour making it a far better bet. But the govt would rather pour the money down the drain of HS2.

Anyway we all know London gets far too much spent on it, the main gripe here is idiot cyclists (a mix of recreational types and arrogant commuters) who love a bit of fancy dress and on a daily basis imagine themselves in the TdF where they don't have to slow down for such mundane things as zebra crossings or junctions, where the Highway Code doesn't apply (to them anyway). I think most of us have a special word for them.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yeah, I cant walk without a stick and not far. got crutches for any further. Can still use a clutch at moment fortunately or I'd be screwed.
    Yes Grant I have to drive an automatic car these days but only because it is much easier on the knee. I can see by next year I shall need to walk with a stick. Getting out of bed first thing in the morning is my big problem. The bloody knee just won't function for a half hour or so.

I'm Martin.

We've been using the park and ride scheme with the Manchester trams. However that does rely on a car getting us a long way to the outskirts of the city. The trams are very good and they seem to run very often.

I would like to see good public transport with public educated to use it with consideration for others. I know why people like their cars as using public transport can take you out of your bubble.

We went to the bridgewater hall and I dont particularly want groups of rowdy kids on the tram or a last student bus feel. The last student bus could be a right laugh at the time but only if you are in the mood for the drunken singing and mostly friendly shenanigans. Most people are fine but a good clean public transport system (perhaps serving coffee and snacks) would be great

The problem is that the buses and trains dont run often enough round here. They cant be relied on for a good night out. The bus is expensive for just a few stops and it doesnt run often enough. Tha catch 22 is that if people dont use them they dont feel obliged to provide anything decent. It should all be subsidised and provided for the public good in freeing up the roads

I cycle to town but I couldnt actually recommend anybody take up cycling on the roads. Ive been cycling for 50 years but think cyclists get a rough deal on Britains roads

I'm Mark.

I pay road tax but cycle whenever possible, I think that's fair enough, I take up less room than a car and cause less wear and tear on the road. I'm sure there are many like me so bear that in mind as you canvass for a cycling tax.
    Also some pavements are meant to be shared (considerately) between cyclists and pedestrians, but many pedestrians seem unaware of this. Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier.
    On the other hand it's utterly inconsiderate to cycle 3 abreast whilst having a chat in 15 metre peloton.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112