View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

2 33.33%
  • 8/10

2 33.33%
  • 9/10

2 33.33%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, September 2017: Ella Fitzgerald - 'Fine and Mellow'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, September 2017: Ella Fitzgerald - 'Fine and Mellow'

The Album Club choice for September come courtesy of Martin (high.spirits) with Ella Fitzgerald's 'Fine and Mellow'. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Ella Fitzgerald - Fine and Mellow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Fitzgerald

I thought I would go back in time with a bit of a classic.

I first listened to this album while auditioning some HiFi equipment way back. I went straight out and bought the LP.

I was taken by the production quality and sound stage, how all the instruments and vocals were clearly defined. I still play this album late at night with a good malt!

Fine and Mellow is a 1974 studio album by Ella Fitzgerald, accompanied by many famous jazz musicians.

It opens with the title track written by Billie Holiday. The album is subtitled Ella Fitzgerald Jams, and represents a return to the informal 'jam sessions' that Fitzgerald sang in on the Jazz at the Philharmonic Concerts concerts in the 1940s and 1950s.

Her performance on this album won her the 1980 Grammy Award for Best Vocal Jazz Performance.

You Tube :

Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1vJfO7RbSk7Ck57cxpcfHm

I'm Peter.

Nice choice ... some jazz for a change

Ella at 57, when she still had her voice. Top flight accompanists, but not given much airtime or many challenges. Liked the scat on Ellington's Rockin' in Rhythm, which had a bit of space for Tommy and Zoot to do their thing. Monk's 'Round Midnight is the most recorded jazz standard written by a jazz musician (according to Wikipedia), but I haven't often heard the vocal version, which I enjoyed here. Sorry, not keen on the first track, just a standard 12 bar blues, with nothing to interest me after the first few bars .. should have been the last track imo. Ella, as always, can do no wrong, and this would be a 9/10 for any other artist ... but, in the context of her awesome discography, maybe a 7/10?

Thanks, Martin, for bringing this to my attention.

I'm Adam.

yup good choice...
    Peter, Great Version of 'Round Midnight' on Ella's 'Clap Hands Here comes charlie' LP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9mWyGcnOmU
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Grant.

Being an Ella fiend I know this album and listened recently. Top class album, and all tracks are a decent length. Joe pass on guitar too. 8/10 from me as her cover of Billy's title song is excellent.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

As it was my choice I thought I had better vote 9/10.
    Hopefully a few more votes will come in due course.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Bloody brilliant! It's not often I do this with an Album Club choice, but I've just ordered myself a copy!

Nice one Martin. 9/10 from me.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Bloody brilliant! It's not often I do this with an Album Club choice, but I've just ordered myself a copy!

Nice one Martin. 9/10 from me.
    Glad you enjoyed it

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Nice choice ... some jazz for a change

Ella at 57, when she still had her voice. Top flight accompanists, but not given much airtime or many challenges. Liked the scat on Ellington's Rockin' in Rhythm, which had a bit of space for Tommy and Zoot to do their thing. Monk's 'Round Midnight is the most recorded jazz standard written by a jazz musician (according to Wikipedia), but I haven't often heard the vocal version, which I enjoyed here. Sorry, not keen on the first track, just a standard 12 bar blues, with nothing to interest me after the first few bars .. should have been the last track imo. Ella, as always, can do no wrong, and this would be a 9/10 for any other artist ... but, in the context of her awesome discography, maybe a 7/10?

Thanks, Martin, for bringing this to my attention.
    Your old 2M Black is still going strong Peter, thanks....

I'm Loz.

I listened to this on the train going up to London. Really enjoyed it. When I eventually get my things out of boxes I will give it a proper listen. Nice choice. 8/10 from me.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    I listened to this on the train going up to London. Really enjoyed it. When I eventually get my things out of boxes I will give it a proper listen. Nice choice. 8/10 from me.
    Like your Guzzi engine pic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast