+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: Show Us Your Speakers!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

Are they DIY? If so which design?
    They were built by Slawa of SW1X for his personal use and improved on the Endorphin P17 who's design is on line. When I bought them the drivers were vintage Alnico Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone vintage alnico, and vintage alnico Altec 416B (VOTT). Everything silver wired and high quality crossovers.

Like all Hi fi its a never ending process to bring about further improvements and I have been trying for about a year to see if I can improve on the Saba Greencones. I persuaded myself that I should be able to improve on midrange drivers costing about £150 and about 60 years old. Surely hi fi had moved on in that time! Its been a long journey but finally I found the Cube Audio FC8s albeit at ten times the cost of the Sabas. They replace the midrange and tweeters with a point source driver.

I just have the job of integrating them perfectly into the baffles. They extend further up and down the frequencies than the Sabas so 'crossovers' will need some tweaking.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by pcourtney View Post
    that's what I need Chris - a HiFi room :-)
    For me its been a two edged sword. The room I commandeered is L shaped with an 8 ft ceiling at one end, and a 14 ft ceiling at the other. The walls are dry lined plasterboard. I tried the open baffles in all four orientations, N,S E and W. What I have now is the best location but its where the ceiling is highest and echoes are bad.

So a fair bit of expense to find the right acoustic treatment - thanks GIK, but as its my room I can have it as messy or odd as I like
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273