+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here use a CD recorder ?

I'm Ian.

Default Anyone here use a CD recorder ?

I heard a radio broadcast last night (Mingus at the Proms) that I simply have to own. The good old Beeb happen to be showing it on the TV at the weekend so I can record it onto the Tivo box for now. Which brings me to the above question. I could go the way of the CD recording or even, wait for it........the cassette deck ! The latter seem to be as cheap as chips used. Any views please ? This is something I've been mulling over for a little while, the radio is such a wonderful source of live performances.

Cheers.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Colin (Mullardman) across on PFM uses one I think, Maybe call in and ask him that question.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Jo.

Default Radio heaven....

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    I heard a radio broadcast last night (Mingus at the Proms) that I simply have to own. The good old Beeb happen to be showing it on the TV at the weekend so I can record it onto the Tivo box for now. Which brings me to the above question. I could go the way of the CD recording or even, wait for it........the cassette deck ! The latter seem to be as cheap as chips used. Any views please ? This is something I've been mulling over for a little while, the radio is such a wonderful source of live performances.

Cheers.
    I used to do a great deal of radio recording using cassette, then MD and a CD recorder. Some of the recordings i still listen to are live ones and remain far superior to any CD release of the same works I have come across since.

What mattered to me was:

1] The length of the broadcast. MD was best for works exceeding CDR capacity. MD was by far the easiest to edit as well.
    2] FM or DAB? For the former I'd use CDR the latter MD.
    3] I got good results from cassette, but editing was a long-winded affair. I recently transferred the last of my tape recordings to computer.
    4] I have used computer to record through an audio interface. Again editing is easy.

Other things to consider:

Signal strength and stability.
    Broadcast compression rate.

I principally used a Yamaha KX580 SE, a Sony MDS JB940, and as Pioneer PDR 609. Decent cassette decks go pretty cheap nowadays, CD Recorders such as the Pioneer can often be had for under £100, the MD recorders are a bit more costly.
    Last edited by Landloper; 25-08-2017 at 08:11. Reason: Poor grammar!

I'm Chris.

Hi Ian
    I mainly use the Yamaha CDRHD1500 these are a audio purpose CD ripper with an internal IDE type hard disk.
    Their editing ability is similar to MD, and they have both coax Toslink and analog inputs that would suit FM.

A good percentage of radio stations also stream on the internet which might be OK for recording on a computer.
    then again a good tuner is hard to beat.

I'm Geoff.

I could never go back to cassette. I always found the sound quality fell short for me. I have no objection to using a CD recorder, but I've never tried one. No need, as I still have my faithful Pioneer MJ-D707 MiniDisc deck should I need to record anything. It's a joy to use and sounds amazingly good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Geoff are Recordable minidiscs still available?

Edit Google was my friend.......
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Geoff.

Plenty on ebay.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

got loads lying about. you can still get them and there are differences i think. sure there are ie longer ones
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Still got a couple of Sharp personal player/recorders as well, MD-MT80 and MD-MT88. I found these sound better than any of the Sony's I tried. They make decent recordings, sound great with small Sennheiser phones and you can plug them into the Hi-Fi. But the Pioneer deck is the best tool (can't cart it about though ).

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have one somewhere. Think it's a Pioneer. Bought it for £50 with a load of CDRs.

The intention was to transfer some LPs to CDs for friends, but the operating instructions just looked too laborious and complicated, so I gave up!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast