+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm Martin.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    well its back from john wrights and looking mighty fine!
    from this,

to this

i shall be fitting it after ive had a kip
    Nice one Jamie, JW is certainly the chap to do the job properly. He replaced some resin substance in my Decca Blue and recalibrated it and it sounds superb except tracking is not perfect. The line contact you have had fitted will track very well indeed and I imagine the level of detail retrieve will be stunning. Need to have the same stylus profile fitted to my Blue so will be keen to read your thoughts!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm jamie.

well setting it up properly today seemed very easy,almost too easy,i left the tonearm height where it was and that seems to be right for the retip. tracking force is on 2 grams ,im not getting to anal just yet until ive put some hrs on the tip.

whats it sound like? bloody marvelous,it already showed a clean pair of heels to my 2m black and also a borrowed zyx-r100 with just a elliptical stylus,the extended fine line stylus has done exactly what i hoped for.
    that is to bring the treble up in line with the bass and mid range.

this is without doubt the best cartridge i have heard to date,life like sounds,cymbals sound incredibly real,no tizz ,just real metallic sounds. the bass drum sounds like its being stamped on using my trusty copy of 'the wall' album as a reference,the soundstage is big and powerful
    acoustic instruments are a joy to listen to,plucked upright bass notes and finger slides are very good,i hate to use the 'in the room' phrase so i wont lol.

i have to keep reminding myself that this is a 50yr old cartridge,how the hell does it sound so good? whats it going to be like when its bedded in? i simply just want to keep playing records,it is making me do it!!

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Charlie.

Yup, the FFSS Mk IV is a real gem. It took me 3 years to find mine. I have been a Decca devotee since the late 70s and still have my Garrott Bros Gold. This is what i wrote about the C4E with a JW fine line rebuild in 2011.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/38028-decca-c4e/

I'm jamie.

mate ive read that serveral times,whislt waiting for mine to return,id go along with everything you said
    im just listening to some piano music now,stunning!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    mate ive read that serveral times,whislt waiting for mine to return,id go along with everything you said
    im just listening to some piano music now,stunning!
    Glad you persevered with the Decca Jamie and have found the magic these cartridges can do. Quite a few folk on here have tried and failed and could not seen what the fuss was but when you have them fettled and set up just right there is nothing like them. As I have a 2M black I can agree with you that they show this cartridge a clean pair of heels and are more dynamic and give a much more vivid account of what's on the record. Vocals, bass and instruments are stunningly resolved.

Now I must get mine retired with the line contact stylus!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

So now you finally get 'the Decca thing' Jamie . After an unfortunate false start. There is nothing else like them!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Great news Jamie !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Glad you have at last found the Decca 'magic'.

Been using a Decca on and off for the last forty years. There's something Deccas do that no other cartridge can do. Whilst I use other cartridges, I now always have a Decca (I have five various Decca models) set up on one of my TTs as a 'reference'.

My only advice is to make sure you keep the stylus and your records clean, as there is very little clearance between the underside of the cartridge and the record surface.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Jamie. It's always satisfying when a cartridges hits the spot like that, musically, so enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    So now you finally get 'the Decca thing' Jamie . After an unfortunate false start. There is nothing else like them!
    There are Deccas, and there are DECCAS, though... For me, as Charlie says, the FFSS Mk IV is a bit special, and has an all-round more accomplished level of performance than most others.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast