+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm Geoff.

Something wrong there. The Mk.IV Deccas should have a somewhat more full bodied sound than the Londons, including the Golds. I'm wondering if the coils were set up correctly.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Well I bought Jamie's Decca and after setting it up in my stax arm, which was fine with a super gold and some putty, I had a disappointing afternoon. Did a basic set up and had it tracking at 1.5grams, very thin and slightly harsh sound with no bass and worse still, was vocals were difficult to hear and fading as the track played. The whole sound was like an echo. I gave up and put the Shure ultra back and all was wonderful. Going to need some help. I met a guy yesterday who is very experienced with decca's and he suggested blue tak blobs until the best sound was found, then weigh it and replace with lead. Well I couldn't even start to think about blue tak as their wasn't anywhere to start. Cart and headshell weighs just over 25 grams, I have an extra counterweight that I fitted but there is room for adjustment if the headshell needs more mass. Any thoughts?
    What setting is your phonostage on? It's either the wrong setting or you are out of phase. I had the four pin connector on the Gold and it sounded just like you say. I swapped to the three pin and only connected the red white and green. That fixed it. Never got the bass I wanted though hence me moving it on.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

remember this cartridge is nearly double what a mk 5 weighs,i got it to sound very good using my 11g alphason and 16g zeta,both i used with fluid damping,have you checked that you tonearm is compatible?
    also when you picked it up you mentioned you were giving it too your friend to try first,what tonearm did he use?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Something wrong there. The Mk.IV Deccas should have a somewhat more full bodied sound than the Londons, including the Golds. I'm wondering if the coils were set up correctly.
    that's exactly how it sounded when i compared it to olivers london gold,the c4e was up a notch.
    theres nothing wrong with the coils geoff,it was working fine prior to being sold.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

also its calibrated to be run at 1.8 grams.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm paul.

My mate didn't get around to trying it. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it Jamie, it's only been in the box in my pocket and at my mates and he hasn't even looked at it.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Jamie, did you use the terminal with the green sleeve on. I used it as ground for the left channel.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Geoff.

Yeah. It's worth experimenting with neg connections and checking phase.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Jamie, did you use the terminal with the green sleeve on. I used it as ground for the left channel.
    no!!!! thats for testing only,thats why it has a green sleeve on it,you just use 1 earth tag. thats your problem right there paul.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

I said this 7 posts back.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread