+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio adventures in SCSI DAT

Play digital audio by SCSI DDS device HP surestore DAT24e C1537A
    Recording on tape by boot mode option
    VDAT is the only one who can play this device
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BUBU; 15-04-2010 at 12:36.

I'm Andy.

Wow!!! I read the title and thought "WTF"

I have a working AIT2 drive spare thats just sitting on me shelf - "hmmmm"

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

I'm Tom.

hello,

I have all the parts i need hooked up but i keep hitting stumbling blocks, firstly its trying to flash the drive, i know it needs to be run in dos but you metioned using the tape tool (which i also have) i am running winXP, but have no floppy drive to create a disk, (not used floppys for years), how did you manage to get the firmware onto the drive, when trying to select the firmware it does not show in the browser.

**** apparently can do it with a usb stick, ill giv that a crack***
    My SET up: Technics sl1210x2 pioneer DJM600 Denon DND9000. Sony 55ES DAT unit Edirol R-09. Sony sdt-d9000 external

Pc amd athlon2600 5.1 suround, all audio played via line in and creative 5.1 speakers

I'm Tom.

this really has me stumpped, i managed to run dos but my dos skills are lame as i have never really had a use for it, also tape tool does not recognise the 12.2 downloaded firmware, anyone know how to help.

thanks
    My SET up: Technics sl1210x2 pioneer DJM600 Denon DND9000. Sony 55ES DAT unit Edirol R-09. Sony sdt-d9000 external

Pc amd athlon2600 5.1 suround, all audio played via line in and creative 5.1 speakers

I'm Evan.

Hi ..
    I have recently joined this forum after finding the article posted by Kris - Audio Adventures in SCSI DAT..
    I'm currently building a retro PC which has optional pull out caddy trays (All IDE) to easily swap out Operating systems ..
    I currently have XP installed but can swap between Win95 or WIN98SE ..
    I equipped the Pentium 3 tower with a floppy drive ..and an Avansys PCI SCSI host adapter card (circa 1999) ..and aquired an external Sony SDT-9000 DDS3 dat drive used with some tapes ..
    I'm clueless as to what is on the tapes ..but I strongly suspect not audio as I doubt this unit has been upgraded firmware wise.
    I removed the actual tape drive from the external psu ..and internally mounted it in the tower with 50 pin ribbon connector to the scsi card ..
    and it is recognised by the scsi bios as indicated at boot/post.
    Now what ..
    I have no software to investigate if or what is on those tapes ...but found the idea of being able to use the DDS drive as an audio recorder/player interesting.
    I have lots of questions and I hope you guys can help me..
    The first being ..
    If the DAT drive is flashed to enable audio ..does this then mean that it can no longer be used for data ?
    ..and assuming I can flash its firmware ...
    How do I do this ?
    Step by step please ..as I've never owned a dat drive in my 60 years on this planet..lol
    ..and sadly I have forgotten more about scsi than I ever knew ..
    what I can say is that the Sony accepts a tape ..the lights flash..and the tape led then flashes constantly..
    The scsi card does recognise an old 2gb seagate barracuda drive I have not used in over 15 years at least ..but it does enable me to read it's content..
    So ..that's where I'm up to ..
    Can anyone help me from here ?
    rgds
    Evan
    aka Vipersan

I'm Evan.

I was hoping that Kris would have responded to my cries for help by now ..
    For example I desperately need a windows SDT-9000 driver file ..
    Ive scoured the internet and drawn a blank ..
    Chances are Kris will have this file, but hasn't been active on this forum since 05-09-2016 16:15
    Does anyone know if he is still active ?
    rgds
    VS

I'm Guntrer.

you have
    > Avansys PCI SCSI host adapter card (circa 1999)

afaik the audio extraction software for DDS drives with audio-firmware only work with Adaptec AHA 2940 [or 2940W, 2940U or 2940UW] scsi controller and APSI drivers.
    they are cheaper today on 2nd hand market than 15y ago.

you need a 50 pin internal ribbon cable. you already got this i guess.

you need to flash the audio firmware. see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...es-in-SCSI-DAT

Sony SDT-9000 audio firmware 12.2 I found here (use at your own risk): http://blog.8p8c.co.uk/?page_id=54

I used DAT2WAV software for extraction and win2k (win2000).

by the way, the DAT2WAV software has a bug when reading tapes recorded with standard play (SP) 48khz mode which results in an erroneous wav (sounds like machine gun) while the first part of a wav might be ok. this error was reported by several people. There is a (free, open source) program dat2wavpatch that corrects such wav files. For more details, see http://interesting-books-selector.co...&id=dat2wavpat
    Last edited by dat2wavpatch; 22-08-2017 at 14:45. Reason: added link to dat2wavpatch tool description

I'm LJM.

Hello, I am a music lover from Huizhou, Guangdong Province, China. I want to get your help. I need a file of Sony sdt-9000 SGI audio firmware 12.2, which I haven't found for a long time on the Internet. Hope a friend can send me a copy, thank you. 330847610@qq.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12