+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the (upgrade) road?

I'm Russell.

So you say those Mk11 Edie's have got the bass? They sure look like they do! I like the finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

Apart from still wanting a set of Edingdales, nothing much has changed recently.

I fitted my Technics EPC-U205 with Jico neo SAS. It sounds superb.

I have always had a niggling in the back of my mind about the Cat5 twisted pair cables used in my FH3s.
    Last night I swapped it out for some 2.5mm OCC stranded cable. I really like the difference it has made to the presentation.

Now, do I dare ask the Mrs for a pair of Edingdales for my upcoming birthday?
    I see Thakker now have stock of the Jico SAS for the EPC205, so I think I may buy one as a spare. It is a superb sounding combination for the money and makes me wonder about the need for expensive MC cartridges.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Nice on Kev. I am the
    Same in that Ive finished my journey now. Thought I'd finished a few times but glad to say. Definitely finally.

Don't be too much of a stranger
    +1, matey. Lots of folk have joined AoS, as digital fans, and embraced the joys of vinyl, quite simply because we're so passionate about it here, and there are numerous threads with great advice on how to do it well, so I guess it's inevitable that it rubs off on folk!

Glad your journey is pretty much at an end. It's so important that there *is* and end goal in your journey, as otherwise the danger exists of simply becoming another unhealthy and endless box-swapper [as opposed to a healthy one like Jerry, but few manage the process as well as he does], and ultimately a 'hi-fi victim', chasing your tail and getting nowhere...

This hobby of ours should ALWAYS be more about the music than the boxes used, which should simply be a means to an end, so I'm glad you're 'there' now. I've been in that happy place now for some time, and it's a great place to be. 'Upgraditis' should be an officially recognised condition, and always guarded against!

Anyway, definitely don't be too much of a stranger, as you'll always be welcome here, and thanks again for all your valuable input, and help especially with the cables you've made up for others and myself.

À bientôt, mon ami!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

It's funny I typed this last year.
    I find myself in a similar place now to be honest.

My priorities are changing as my daughter gets older, and I find I have less time to enjoy listening to music.
    I would still like a new pair of speakers, but that is going to have to wait.

I am sure I will still pop in from time to time....

Kevin

I'm Chris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx33iwdS7ko

There's a song that fits 'upgradeitis' quite well!

Marco-you got it right (though I sold all my vinyl 2+ years ago....)
    (-:
    Chris.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It's funny I typed this last year.
    I find myself in a similar place now to be honest.

My priorities are changing as my daughter gets older, and I find I have less time to enjoy listening to music.
    I would still like a new pair of speakers, but that is going to have to wait.

I am sure I will still pop in from time to time....

So what has changed since 2018?
    A new DAC, speakers, power amp, phono stage, some OCC speaker cable, a MI cartridge and an MC cartridge.
    Most of this was brought on by CV-19 lockdowns.

I have also added a few Isopucks under the speakers and the valve gear, and recently upgraded my rack by adding some butchers blocks in place of the glass shelves.

It’s amazing what you can upgrade when you think you are done.

System now consists of:
    Funkified SL1200
    DIY built BB3 phono stage from BigBottle Audio.
    Self built “Music” PC
    RME ADI-2 DAC FS
    Pioneer PD-S703 CD player (not sure why, as it hardly ever gets used)
    Firebottle KIN pre amplifier with built in Phono stage
    Neurochrome Modulus 686 power amp

Cables are all DIY assembled OCC of one flavour or another.

I should almost be done, but there is one more tweak arriving next week to what it does, if anything in my system.
    Kevin

I'm Jerry.

Indeed, I thought I was at the end as well.

But in the last three months I have upgraded my Dac, added a streamer, changed USB/SPIDF, added BNZ cables, added amp footers, added some grounding plugs.
    The constant are the speakers, amp, interconnects, power cables.

I'm Kevin.

I have actually set myself a personal challenge for this year - not to buy any more HiFi.
    Music is allowed.

The best part is that I have not told the wife, so if I crack, I don’t get earache….
    Kevin

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I never, ever make New Years resolutions. Situations can change in the future, so unless it is something important like stopping smoking, carry on as you were.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

I failed my challenge.
    I have added a Topping Pre90 to my system. One came up at a price I could not refuse. The measurements look good.
    My plan is to build myself a pre-amp using some Neurochrome boards, so before I committed to the project, I wanted to see how a good SS pre-amp would gel in my system.

I have also added a Sjostrom DCT-03 DC blocker in my Modulus 686 to remove the transformer hum, which is probably caused by my heat pump.

The system is sounding good. It is now very transparent, so I decided to see if the cost of OCC interconnects with pure copper plugs etc. is worth the cost. This little experiment is on going, and is likely to take a while.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast