+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the (upgrade) road?

I'm Kevin.

And today I lost the captive lead (Mogami) from my SL1200.
    I have fitted a 3D printed box, with some pure copper RCA sockets from WBT. These are connected to the internal tonearm PCB by some OCC wire. I have now added a Neotech OCC coax cable between the TT and phono stage, and I am happy with the result.

It took me a couple of hours to get it all done, but it was well worth it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mark.

Default Never forget to sit back and listen !

My Hi-Fi journey started realistically 40 years ago when I was a teenager able to work for serious pocket money whilst still living at home and going to college. That financial freedom gave me the purchasing power to invest in my first Hi-Fi system, Technics SLB2 turntable Grado FCE+ cartridge, Technics SU-V2 amplifier and original Mission 70 loudspeakers, this was before CD and a cassette deck was added a JVC KD-D4 for making those mandatory mix tapes for the Hitachi TRK 8080E Ghetto Blaster and the original Sony Walkman complete with additional battery pack and the orange foam earpads on the headphones !! Equipment has changed many, many times in the intervening 40 years and some memorable bits of kit were Celestion SL600 speakers and 6000 sub woofers, Alphason Sonata turntable with HRS100MCS arm and Audio Technica OC9 cartridge and the truly awesome Pink Triangle three box CD system of Cardinal transport, 24bit Da-Capo and DC power supply ! There were many other favourites but the over riding passion is the music and the now considerable LP and CD collection which every day I rediscover something new from. So never forget to sit back and enjoy !

As for the system now:

Source components: Pink Triangle Anniversary SE, SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature for Vinyl. Lyngdorf CD1 as Transport with Wadia 321 DAC

Amplification: Hi-Q Sound Iota Balanced Signature Reference mk2 Phono-stage Revised 2021, Krell KRC 3, Krell FPB 200c

Loudspeakers: Martin Logan Electromotion X and Sonus Faber Gravis Sub Woofer

Cables/stands: Transparent, DPA Black Slink, PS Audio, Atlas

Any other hi-fi bits: Moth RCM, AV system: Denon AVR 2310, Onkyo BD-SP809, Panasonic DMP-BDT180EB, Humax Aura, Samsung 49" LED 4K TV, Monitor Audio C300 Centre Channel, Q Acoustics 165P for rear channel. Logitech Harmony Remote.

PT Anni SE - SME V - Koetsu Rosewood Rev.jpgIOTA Signature Ref Mk2 - Krell KRC3 - Lyngdorf CD1 - Wadia 321 Rev.jpgAura - Panasonic - Onkyo - Dennon Rev.jpgSystem Rev.jpg
    Last edited by Rush2112; 30-06-2022 at 08:44.

I'm Shaun.

Nice thoughts, nice messages. I too have reached the end of the road. With regard to my sound system there is nowhere else I want to go. From now onwards it is only about music and the emotion it creates within.

I'm Martin.

I've not changed anything in a long time now, not felt the need. Went to that show the other week and the only thing appreciably better than what I have were the Kii3. It's a whole different approach though, and fifteen grand. Don't really want to spend that kind of money.

I will get a pair of tidy JBL L100 'Century' for the TV system. Just because I always wanted them as a teenager. Otherwise won't be changing anything in the main system until something dies.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

The new pre-amp not arrived yet?

I was tempted to get a different pre, but I don’t think anything I want to,spend money on will “better” the Topping Pre90 for transparency.
    At the end of the day, it is going to give the music a different flavour, but would it be better?

I have also had thoughts of trying an R2R DAC like the Gustard, but the price is a bit daft, and there is not a lot wrong with the RME.
    So, the challenge for 2023 is to sit back and relax…..

I am done with cables. I have enough cartridges and valves to see me out. So fingers crossed, nothing breaks and I can spend money of the important stuff - more music…..
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The new pre-amp not arrived yet?

…..
    Yes got it a couple of weeks ago. Like you I've nowhere to go now but the speakers and they are good enough I'm planning to get a TEAC VRDS transport with the illuminated buttons, but only for the looks.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes got it a couple of weeks ago. Like you I've nowhere to go now but the speakers and they are good enough I'm planning to get a TEAC VRDS transport with the illuminated buttons, but only for the looks.
    You could get a little budget set up together for your office, and start a new upgrade path. Show the youngsters there just how good Heart 70s can sound
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You could get a little budget set up together for your office, and start a new upgrade path. Show the youngsters there just how good Heart 70s can sound
    would do only everything electrical in an office these days has to be pat tested for no real reason.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

And I bet it's about £20 per appliance. Pat must be raking it in
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    would do only everything electrical in an office these days has to be pat tested for no real reason.
    Not if its brand new

How about battery powered?
    Last edited by mikeyb; 01-12-2022 at 08:37.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast