+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone with I2S Experience?

I'm DOUGLAS.

Default Anyone with I2S Experience?

Hi -

looking for some guidance on I2S protocol use. Have PS Audio phono that can output I2S via hdmi style connection. Problem I have is pre amp/dac that uses RJ input just like on an internet router for I2S. Not sure if there is a cable or adaptor available for this connection or whether it is computer link only. Hoping someone more tech savvy than myself has some experiences of similar nature.... Just the thing when no industry standard exists for a protocol I guess 🙁

Thanks DJS

I'm Tony.

It should be possible. There are some unknowns to overcome though. Obviously you'd need to know the pinouts at each end, plus whether the signals are 5 volt or 3.3 v logic. (or potentially even 1.8v) Then there's whether each end uses left-justified or right-justified bit packing.

Modern DAC chips have selections for justification normally, however on very old chips like the 1541 it is fixed.

It's a bit of a minefield in other words.

As you say, there is no "industry standard" for I2S over longer lengths, as it was intended as a means of transferring the audio data from one place to another within the confines of a piece of equipment, over short lengths. It can be sent over longer runs but then it would usually have some form of buffering. At this point it becomes non-standard so you'd need to know exactly what it in the sending end and what you have at the receiving end.

I'm DOUGLAS.

Tony,

Thanks for your reply. I am guessing the easiest way to get to the bottom of this will be via manufacturer tech support. Hopefully, this might circumvent some challenges on getting the data transfer correct. PS do have a cable they use terminated with hdmi connectors but it is designed to link with their other products. Unfortunately, my issue is I have elected to use an Ayon cd player that uses I2S via an RJ style port. Based on your info their are several variables I will require to be mindful of if I progress this union of I2S data flow. There was good old me thinking it might be straight forward in implementation - just an eternal optimist at heart. I had hoped someone out there might have trampled the route previously......

+ Reply to Thread