+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So - what do you play????

I think Pam Wedgewood is a great composer... although I never really played any of her stuff, my sister has been learning with it, and not only are the pieces designed to be specifically for certain standards, they're also really good music.

If possible I recommend looking into more of her stuff.

Talking

Of all things, I like playing Abba!

But then again I like playing all sorts, but seem to play waltzes quite well...
    Andy c! to those that know....

Rig 1: LP12/Nima/17D2 - heed Quazar/hiline/252/250.2/SL2's, CDS3/hiline also - whole lot on Fraim. Fully monty 4 x 10mm2 spurs.

Rig 2: Denon 2805/DVD2910/N-cent and b7w rears fed into unity gain on 252.

Rig 3:
    Roland A90ex/Yamaha MG12/4 mixer, Fostex 0.5's & Ableton via M-Audio 192 sound card (soon to be appl'ed and prob Focusrite'd!)

Loads of music, both written and recorded!

I'm Buffet-blower.

I started playing the Clarinet at the age of 6, after having learnt to read music at the same time as I learnt to read words (my dad was/is very musical). I passed an ARCM performer's diploma at age 15, then basically sat on my *rse for the next 3 years doing not very much. In 1983 I auditioned for the various music colleges around the UK but, having got sick of education after doing my A-levels, decided that joining the RAF as a musician might be a laugh - it was, and has been for the last 24 years. I've been principal clarinettist with the RAF Central Band since 1989.

'Outside' I do a fair bit of freelance playing, and have played with the BBC Concert Orchestra on a few occasions. I was also lucky enough to do a lot of work and recording with Ron Goodwin which was always a joy. I also teach Clarinet in my spare time.

Other instruments?

Started playing the piano at age 9, got to Grade 8 and gave up which I regret deeply. Also played the Tuba, as I thought it'd be fun, and got to Grade 7. When I leave the RAF I'm going to start playing it again - reckon it'll be a pleasant change.

In 2006 I achieved a dipABRSM diploma in conducting and will hopefully go for the LRSM next year.
    Last edited by Gromit; 08-02-2008 at 07:45.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Hi guys, played Bass guitar in various Bands during the 70"s 80"s and part of 90"s. ranging from cabaret/ soul band to prog rock and American/stones type bands. Don"t play very much these days due to friends late fatherhood/motherhood, and in my case illness slowing the fingers down......Pride and joy...64 Fender precision Bass.

Tom

I'm InSpace.

Got my first guitar 40 years ago, age 5(ish) on a holiday in Spain. Did just about nothing with it till age 15(ish), then bought my first electric job (as you do at that age) when 'punk' was kicking off. Played pretty hard for the next 15 years or so and got rather good, even if I say so myself.

Then marriage & kids 'n stuff happened and guitars and hifi and etc etc... got 'shelved' for too many years. Not so long ago I bought an acoustic still thinking I was some sort of axe god! Oh nooo! Not at all!
    Found myself in the position of very much having forgotten more than I know and having just about no skills left at all!
    So, I've started practising pretty seriously every day and I'm sitting here now with VERY sore fingertips and forearm cramp (steady now!!), in the slightly vain hope that I might get back to something like the 'form' I had in my late 20's!!! Oh well!

Cheers,
    Mike.

P.S. I also mucked about with didgeridoo's for a while, still got some somewhere. Very strange beasts.

I'm Dan.

I play the violin to a reasonable standard (grade 7) although I haven't played it in a while... I have both acoustic and electic...

I dabble on guitar, but I'm fairly hopeless, and I can play bass a bit.

I'm Dave.

I used to play violin to a reasonable standard as well. I was the leader of the School orchestra and was 2rd desk, first violins in the local youth orchestra. That will make sense to the other classical musicians. All the practicing for my A-Level music etc kind of burned me out and it stopped being fun. So for the last 10 years or so I've barely picked up my violin. I keep meaning to get back into it but never get round to it. I also used to play drums to an average standard and played in a "band" with some of my mates. I have fond memories of us playing Metallica at a school talent show thing. Great fun.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm notAlone.

Used to play piano (12yrs old), even played solo in a concert... then gave up, because of various family reasons. Pity.
    Started playing bass and harmonica when I was 18, continued for 4-5 years, then stopped when I started "serious" software.

I find it a pity, but I can't really play anymore.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

9. Default

Piano - good enough to amuse myself and to write music, but definitely not in public! Also a now ageing Fatar keyboard linked to a Roland Soundcanvas synthesiser. The Fatar has weighted keys - very important for me.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Used to play piano (12yrs old), even played solo in a concert... then gave up, because of various family reasons. Pity.
    Started playing bass and harmonica when I was 18, continued for 4-5 years, then stopped when I started "serious" software.

I find it a pity, but I can't really play anymore.
    If you learnt that young, I am sure you won't have forgotten basic techniques. Practice should be enough to bring you up to a satisfactory level. If I may say so, I think you should, as I think you'd find it rewarding, even if just playing for your own amusement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast