+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - Pt XXXVI - Patience...

Tonight I bought this.

g99.jpg

It's another G99 in a slightly less distressed state than my original purchase. It's extremely difficult hunting parts for a G99 and my current project has stalled, this deck will enable me to finally look at the speed selection mechanism, the strobe light casing and the on/off switches. With a little luck I should be able to fabricate new parts and correctly install old ones. This is now a labour of love and I WILL SEE THIS PROJECT THROUGH!!!!

Stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Tonight's update - Pt XXXVI - Patience...

Tonight I bought this.

g99.jpg

It's another G99 in a slightly less distressed state than my original purchase. It's extremely difficult hunting parts for a G99 and my current project has stalled, this deck will enable me to finally look at the speed selection mechanism, the strobe light casing and the on/off switches. With a little luck I should be able to fabricate new parts and correctly install old ones. This is now a labour of love and I WILL SEE THIS PROJECT THROUGH!!!!

Stay tuned...
    Top man
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Top man
    Thanks Rob, I think this could be my winter project.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Well the new "study" deck has turned up. Should be picking her up tomorrow, the project continues....!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - Pt XXXVII - Treasure trove....

I hope your sitting comfortably for tonights update. I recently purchase a very very cheap Goldring G99 from eScum and it arrived a few days ago. Today I finally managed to open my 11kg package and then examine the contents. This G99 was in fully working order but very tatty. The platter had unacceptable chips, the wiring should have been condemned, rust had started to affected the pressed metal top plate, the on/off switch mechanism was buckled, all these are problems which I overcame during my restoration of my first G99 and I did not fancy having to do those jobs again.

Owning a complete donor deck enables you to see the bits that you got wrong or simply didn't have. The plastic top fascia being a case of point. My adopted G88 plastic fascia was quite different from the G99's and I'm now glad that I have an original G99 top plastic fascia to put on the deck. It needs a good clean! I've now also got the clear plastic strobe window which is something I didn't have. My donor deck also came with a very scruffy metal top cover, many dints, dings, scuffs, so I will be quite happy to fabricate something new. I now have the metal top cover stripped off, it's very flimsy, perhaps 0.5mm brushed stainless steel and held in place with liberally placed glue from the 1960's, which stinks! I did fabricate one metal top cover but it turns out that it's not as accurate as I would have hoped and so it's been binned. The font's on the old metal top fascia from the donor deck are an exact match to the transfers that I made early this year, I can also now precisely place all the transfers onto any new top plate I fabricate to within a mm or two of the original positions. I now also have the correct mounting screws for the plastic top fascia, again something I didn't have.

buttons screws.jpg fascia.jpg

The donor deck also provided a new speed selector switch and more importantly two on/off switches. One of the on/off switches needs to be refurbished and the speed selector switch needs a little work as well. I also have all the corrects parts to properly select the individual speeds on the G99.

speed selector.jpg

The components of the speed selector section needs to be dismantled, ultrasonically cleaned and then polished. This then completes a big section of this decks restoration. Perhaps the most fragile and complex part of the G99 is the strobe lights housing. This is held in place with two tiny 1mm grub screws. I need to re-attach the mirror which came with the strobe light housing and it needs cleaning up, but this is a small job.

strobe casing.jpg

Other areas of geekdom, I'm happy to report that the platter re-spray was exactly the same colour and the chassis respray wasn't quite as accurate but as near as I could achieve, my resto is a slightly lighter grey but I'm being super picky. There are a couple of other areas not quite right on my resto, firstly, the idler wheel rubber was not as narrow as it should have been, this has now been replaced, secondly one of the idler linkage springs was not of the correct tension, this has also been replaced. I'll shove some more pictures up when I have a little more time. That's it for tonight.

Stay tuned....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - Pt XXXVIII - I'll be back....

See I told you all I would see this project through. So, here is the G99 finished, spinning but still not up to the standards that I would like. I now have original G99 speed selector and on/off switches, these replaced some 3D jobbies that I had made. The plastic top plate is G99 original and so are the on/off switches. The restoration does have some minor issues that I'm not happy about, firstly the metal fascia has scratches and dings which whilst not taking anything away from the playing of vinyl do annoy an OCD restorer like myself. The strobe housing is original and now works, although the viewer is cracked! Such is life. I have ordered a Carl Ellis plinth and will salvage my HRS1000 tonearm for vinyl spinning duties. So here she is, fired up and spinning.

g99.jpg

Until next time.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Geoff.

[IMG][/IMG]

This was mine. Bloody awesome deck.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Andrew.

You've now severely depressed me you had a perfect metal top plate fascia.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314