+ Reply to Thread
Page 645 of 1474 FirstFirst ... 1455455956356436446456466476556957451145 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,450 of 14731

Thread: OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Hands were involved! Had to forget I was not in McDonalds and in a proper restaurant with knives and forks!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yesh, shweety. And did you remember your bib?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What you may not been aware of was that the portion of chips on my plate was only about half of the chips as I ate the other half instantly with the help of Helen as I was so ravenous. You know what its like with super crisp fries.
    Yes, I was reconsidering what I'd said, after thinking why was there only two carrots on the plate, and then saw the dish with veggies in, so sussed you'd helped yourself from that! That's the proper way to do things though, and allow diners to take what they feel for, not just fill up plates with piles of food, so you feel obliged to eat it all. It also causes wastage, as many don't.

That's a major pet hate of mine - same the other way too, in 'posh' restaurants, when often there isn't enough, and the focus seems to be on making pretty patterns on plates than feeding you!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I was reconsidering what I'd said, after thinking why was there only two carrots on the plate, and then saw the dish with veggies in, so sussed you'd helped yourself from that! That's the proper way to do things though, and allow diners to take what they feel for, not just fill plates up with food (often with too much stuff), and so you feel obliged to eat it all.

That's a major pet hate of mine - same the other way, in 'posh' restaurants when often there isn't enough, and the focus seems to be on making pretty patterns on plates than in feeding you!

Marco.
    I hate the "Fine dining" nonsense some of the Michelin starred restaurants produce where there is a tendency of style over substance. You end up with a plate of carefully composed bits that would not feed a mouse and as I have worked in the restaurant business I know that sometimes that food can be touched up to 40 times to get it to look just right!

I like a balance between nicely plated food and enough to feed you. I understand all the tasting experience, theatre and artistic stuff, but when I go out to eat I want to feel I have eaten well and feel satisfied. I don't go just for just the experience.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Nice. Looks like it'll be up your street. If you'd like any local knowledge about the area, best places to see, local cuisine, where not to go, etc, let me know and I'll consult Del's cousin

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I hate the "Fine dining" nonsense some of the Michelin starred restaurants produce where there is a tendency of style over substance. You end up with a plate of carefully composed bits that would not feed a mouse and as I have worked in the restaurant business I know that sometimes that food can be touched up to 40 times to get it to look just right!

I like a balance between nicely plated food and enough to feed you. I understand all the tasting experience, theatre and artistic stuff, but when I go out to eat I want to feel I have eaten well and feel satisfied. I don't go just for just the experience.
    +1 with bells on! However, some Michelin-starred restaurants get it right, more than others. Generally it's best to go for a 'tasting menu', so you get around 8 courses (of small, super-tasty, very elegant-looking 'bits'), and that's usually enough to fill you, especially if you end with cheese and biscuits - but it's not cheap!

However, with Michelin-starred restaurants, the best balance of 'pretty vs. plentiful' food is usually found in the one-star establishments (as opposed to the two or three), as there you get superb food [where chefs can showcase their skills, but don't indulge in rather pretentious nouvelle cuisine], and also fed!

A good example if this, and somewhere I'd very highly recommend, perhaps as an anniversary celebration or other special occasion for Helen and you, is Checkers, in Montgomery: https://www.checkerswales.co.uk/

Del and I have been a few times, and *everything* about the experience is memorable, and simply stunning, including the quaint little village itself and the beautiful surrounding area!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm sorted.

Nice. Looks like it'll be up your street. If you'd like any local knowledge about the area, best places to see, local cuisine, where not to go, etc, let me know and I'll consult Del's cousin

Marco.
    Cheers Marco, appreciate it

We're not actually going until next September, got another cruise before then.

No worries, dude. Plenty of time then for her to compile an itinerary!

Marco.
    Main System

+1 with bells on! However, some Michelin-starred restaurants get it right, more than others. Generally it's best to go for a 'tasting menu', so you get around 8 courses (of small, super-tasty, very elegant-looking 'bits'), and that's usually enough to fill you, especially if you end with cheese and biscuits - but it's not cheap!

However, with Michelin-starred restaurants, the best balance of 'pretty vs. plentiful' food is usually found in the one-star establishments (as opposed to the two or three), as there you get superb food [where chefs can showcase their skills, but don't indulge in rather pretentious nouvelle cuisine], and also fed!

A good example if this, and somewhere I'd very highly recommend, perhaps as an anniversary celebration or other special occasion for Helen and you, is Checkers, in Montgomery: https://www.checkerswales.co.uk/

Del and I have been a few times, and *everything* about the experience is memorable, and simply stunning, including the quaint little village itself and the beautiful surrounding area!

Marco.
    EDIT: just noticed they seem to have stopped doing dinner!
    Main System

I'm James.

EDIT: just noticed they seem to have stopped doing dinner!
    Great if you like breakfast!

I think they have just omitted Dinner menu?

+ Reply to Thread