+ Reply to Thread
Page 480 of 1475 FirstFirst ... 380430470478479480481482490530580980 ... LastLast
Results 4,791 to 4,800 of 14743

Thread: OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

No way would you get that quality of food in pubs down where you are for that price, at least not in my experience!

Marco.
    Lunch menu prices between £6-£10, main menu between £10-£20 so not bad. My pork belly with seasonal veg and triple cooked chips was £13.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If the quality of the food is good, that's decent value

What I like about The Three Pigeons (where I went today), is that all the food is home-made and cooked fresh from scratch, using only locally-sourced ingredients. That's a BIG selling point for me when eating out, as it impacts massively on the quality of the food served.

I'm simply not interested in how cheap it is to eat somewhere, or how much food there is, if the quality of the food served is merely average (or poor), as in that case I can eat much better at home!

For me, it's not merely about being 'filled up', or sustenance - I have to *really enjoy*, and savour every mouthful, of what I'm eating (or drinking)!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm sorted.

If the quality of the food is good, that's decent value

What I like about The Three Pigeons (where I went today), is that all the food is home-made and cooked fresh from scratch, using only locally-sourced ingredients. That's a BIG selling point for me when eating out, as it impacts massively on the quality of the food served.

I'm simply not interested in how cheap it is to eat somewhere, or how much food there is, if the quality of the food served is merely average (or poor), as in that case I can eat much better at home!

For me, it's not simply about being 'filled up', or sustenance - I have to *really enjoy* what I'm eating (or drinking)!!

Marco.
    The food was excellent at the Boars Head. Take your point about price/quality/quantity but I'd still be a little disappointed with just ten chips (even if they were the cheapest & best I'd ever tasted).

It's not a pub we frequent often, we just happened to be house hunting in the area. We generally head into Brentwood to eat but, unfortunately, our favourite italian has just been turned into yet another curry house!
    Last edited by Roy S; 17-05-2019 at 07:16.

Good stuff, Roy. The Boar's Head sounds excellent. Lol - what are you like with your chips?

We'd already had a starter, and I'm not a big chip eater anyway, especially chunky ones (as I prefer 'skinny fries'), so there were plenty for me. Indeed I left two, because I was full up!

I'm like that, though: when I'm full, I'm full. And when I reach that stage, I can leave a spoonful of peas on my plate, one chip, or whatever. I don't believe in 'clearing plates' just for the sake of it (and hate feeling bloated), especially in restaurants where they've filled my plate for me, and often there's just too much food.

Looking at the size of the portions of food you eat with your meals, you've clearly got a bigger appetite than me, and that's cool. Plus, if I can, I prefer having my main meal at lunchtime, rather than at night, as it's healthier that way, and I only ever have one big meal per day

For example, after going out for a pub lunch yesterday, last night I just had a bowl of soup for my tea!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm sorted.

Default OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

Good stuff, Roy. The Boar's Head sounds excellent. Lol - what are you like with your chips?

I love a good chip, the ones I had at the King’s Head in North Weald with a fantastic Wagyu burger a few weeks back were superb.

This was from their 'weekend treat' menu, 2 courses for £22 each with a bottle of wine (which I took home )

Looks pretty decent and good value for money, and it's a lovely old property. Is the pub part of a chain?

However, compare those onion rings with the ones I had yesterday, and for me there's no comparison...

Until you say whether that pub is part of a chain, I won't know, but in general I avoid chains, as the food tends to be nothing special and somewhat 'formulaic'.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy eating at some of those places, as I always adjust my standards according to where I am, but the ideal for me is privately owned pubs, run by a husband and wife team, serving freshly made home-cooked food, using fresh local ingredients, and local real ales.

Not always easy to find these days, but in my experience those are the true gems

Marco.
    Main System

I'm sorted.

Looks pretty decent and good value for money, and it's a lovely old property. Is the pub part of a chain?
    17th Century & partially constructed from old ship's timbers apparently. Yes, it's a 'Vintage Inn' (& the onion rings were great )

I'm Justin.

Just gone in - puff pastry pizza. Two cheeses.

Nice.... However, two further pictures are required: one when it comes out the oven, and later, one when the remains come out your botty!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Nice.... However, two further pictures are required: one when it comes out the oven, and later, one when the remains come out your botty!

Marco.
    When you gonna grow up Marco?

What, never?

+ Reply to Thread