+ Reply to Thread
Page 645 of 678 FirstFirst ... 145545595635643644645646647655 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,450 of 6773

Thread: OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

  1. #6441
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,972
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Hands were involved! Had to forget I was not in McDonalds and in a proper restaurant with knives and forks!
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  2. #6442
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,459
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Yesh, shweety. And did you remember your bib?

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  3. #6443
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,459
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What you may not been aware of was that the portion of chips on my plate was only about half of the chips as I ate the other half instantly with the help of Helen as I was so ravenous. You know what its like with super crisp fries.
    Yes, I was reconsidering what I'd said, after thinking why was there only two carrots on the plate, and then saw the dish with veggies in, so sussed you'd helped yourself from that! That's the proper way to do things though, and allow diners to take what they feel for, not just fill up plates with piles of food, so you feel obliged to eat it all. It also causes wastage, as many don't.

    That's a major pet hate of mine - same the other way too, in 'posh' restaurants, when often there isn't enough, and the focus seems to be on making pretty patterns on plates than feeding you!

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  4. #6444
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,972
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I was reconsidering what I'd said, after thinking why was there only two carrots on the plate, and then saw the dish with veggies in, so sussed you'd helped yourself from that! That's the proper way to do things though, and allow diners to take what they feel for, not just fill plates up with food (often with too much stuff), and so you feel obliged to eat it all.

    That's a major pet hate of mine - same the other way, in 'posh' restaurants when often there isn't enough, and the focus seems to be on making pretty patterns on plates than in feeding you!

    Marco.
    I hate the "Fine dining" nonsense some of the Michelin starred restaurants produce where there is a tendency of style over substance. You end up with a plate of carefully composed bits that would not feed a mouse and as I have worked in the restaurant business I know that sometimes that food can be touched up to 40 times to get it to look just right!

    I like a balance between nicely plated food and enough to feed you. I understand all the tasting experience, theatre and artistic stuff, but when I go out to eat I want to feel I have eaten well and feel satisfied. I don't go just for just the experience.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  5. #6445
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,459
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Nice. Looks like it'll be up your street. If you'd like any local knowledge about the area, best places to see, local cuisine, where not to go, etc, let me know and I'll consult Del's cousin

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  6. #6446
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,459
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I hate the "Fine dining" nonsense some of the Michelin starred restaurants produce where there is a tendency of style over substance. You end up with a plate of carefully composed bits that would not feed a mouse and as I have worked in the restaurant business I know that sometimes that food can be touched up to 40 times to get it to look just right!

    I like a balance between nicely plated food and enough to feed you. I understand all the tasting experience, theatre and artistic stuff, but when I go out to eat I want to feel I have eaten well and feel satisfied. I don't go just for just the experience.
    +1 with bells on! However, some Michelin-starred restaurants get it right, more than others. Generally it's best to go for a 'tasting menu', so you get around 8 courses (of small, super-tasty, very elegant-looking 'bits'), and that's usually enough to fill you, especially if you end with cheese and biscuits - but it's not cheap!

    However, with Michelin-starred restaurants, the best balance of 'pretty vs. plentiful' food is usually found in the one-star establishments (as opposed to the two or three), as there you get superb food [where chefs can showcase their skills, but don't indulge in rather pretentious nouvelle cuisine], and also fed!

    A good example if this, and somewhere I'd very highly recommend, perhaps as an anniversary celebration or other special occasion for Helen and you, is Checkers, in Montgomery: https://www.checkerswales.co.uk/

    Del and I have been a few times, and *everything* about the experience is memorable, and simply stunning, including the quaint little village itself and the beautiful surrounding area!

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  7. #6447
    Join Date: Nov 2011

    Location: Harold Hill, Romford, Essex

    Posts: 6,818
    I'm tired.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice. Looks like it'll be up your street. If you'd like any local knowledge about the area, best places to see, local cuisine, where not to go, etc, let me know and I'll consult Del's cousin

    Marco.
    Cheers Marco, appreciate it

    We're not actually going until next September, got another cruise before then.

  8. #6448
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,459
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    No worries, dude. Plenty of time then for her to compile an itinerary!

    Marco.
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  9. #6449
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 91,459
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    +1 with bells on! However, some Michelin-starred restaurants get it right, more than others. Generally it's best to go for a 'tasting menu', so you get around 8 courses (of small, super-tasty, very elegant-looking 'bits'), and that's usually enough to fill you, especially if you end with cheese and biscuits - but it's not cheap!

    However, with Michelin-starred restaurants, the best balance of 'pretty vs. plentiful' food is usually found in the one-star establishments (as opposed to the two or three), as there you get superb food [where chefs can showcase their skills, but don't indulge in rather pretentious nouvelle cuisine], and also fed!

    A good example if this, and somewhere I'd very highly recommend, perhaps as an anniversary celebration or other special occasion for Helen and you, is Checkers, in Montgomery: https://www.checkerswales.co.uk/

    Del and I have been a few times, and *everything* about the experience is memorable, and simply stunning, including the quaint little village itself and the beautiful surrounding area!

    Marco.
    EDIT: just noticed they seem to have stopped doing dinner!
    To be scientific is to take into account all of reality, not to be selectively inattentive to the inconvenient -- Pharos 2019.

  10. #6450
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,972
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    EDIT: just noticed they seem to have stopped doing dinner!
    Great if you like breakfast!

    I think they have just omitted Dinner menu?
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •