+ Reply to Thread
Page 959 of 1476 FirstFirst ... 459859909949957958959960961969100910591459 ... LastLast
Results 9,581 to 9,590 of 14756

Thread: OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sure, but what do you think of my point about Scotland exporting the vast majority of its superb fish and seafood, to the likes of France and Spain?

Why aren't the Scots eating it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... The curries thing is interesting, as I wouldn't have though parents of your generation would've been exposed to such, so what was going on there? I know even my dad never tasted curry until I ordered a takeaway, sometime in the late 70s, and he hated it!

He loves (a mild one) now, though

Marco.
    Presumably from the French side of the family which had Algerian connections.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

think its due to the common market, and foreign hols tbh.. folk got into trying spanish and italian food etc, and got a liking for it; fish used to be eaten more as did crab etc when available. the eu come and catch much of our fish, which may well change soon.. fish is expensive tho here, and barring fish fingers average folk dont think its good value, and if youve a family to feed on a budget, the a lump of mince and onions goes a lot further..

. my mum loved curry as did my brother. i never could like it when younger even tho i tried.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Presumably from the French side of the family which had Algerian connections.
    Ah I see... You mean the more discerning side of your family?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Simple cod steak and chips today
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Question Food culture and the mantra of LIVE to EAT, or eat to live...

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive i pretty basic palate, i accept that.. fish wise, cod, haddock, salmon, trout are my thang ....cod steaks i get out of Tesco being my current fav.. lovely white flakey meat, with a nice clean taste and a good breadcrumb outer....

I never used to like curry, but im getting better at some of them.
    Not sure which word to use to describe my palate, as I don't wish to sound pretentious (or snobbish), but I wouldn't describe it as "basic". At the end of the day, we were all brought up how we were brought up [which was largely out with of our control], and so the eating habits we developed when we were young I believe largely, although not totally, shape how we eat today.

And in that respect, being brought up in an Italian family, I was exposed to certain types of foods, fresh herbs and spices, etc (as my parents always grew them in the garden, and which my mum cooked with), that even today some folks in the UK would regard as a little 'exotic', let alone back in the 70s, when olive oil was generally only something you found in chemists to treat earache!

Therefore, from a very early age, my palate has been 'honed' on strong flavours, unusual (to some) ingredients and fresh food made from scratch, as a) there werem't many ready meals around in the 70s, and b) my mum or dad wouldn't have touched them with a bargepole, even if there had been. They always bought fresh fish from the local fishmonger, fresh meat from the local butcher, fresh veg from the local fruiterer, etc, etc - all of which existed then in the small town where we lived in the south side of Glasgow.

Then my mum would use those ingredients, coupled (crucially) with the traditional Italian ones she'd get from the Italian deli in Glasgow, owned by her cousin, and so things like fresh Parma ham, Salami, Parmesan, extra-virgin olive oil, etc, chilli peppers, etc, would be no stranger to me from an early age, to cook traditional Italian dishes that her mum and grandmother used to make - and she was a great cook.

Coupled with that, we used to travel to France and Italy every year, by car, with my first experience of that probably being around the early 70s, and I'd be introduced to classic French food (and wine, diluted with water), en-route at some of the restaurants we stopped at, and then when we got to Italy, a whole world of amazing food was opened up to me, as we spent virtually the whole of our six-week holiday (during the summer schools hols) being invited round, from relative to relative, to eat the delicious home-cooked food they'd made - and just like my mum all were great cooks.. And you're talking meals that commonly contained around six courses, and took place over 5-6 hours!

So, essentially, from a very early age I've just been used to eating well, then I married Del, and she's a great cook too, as she also shared my type of food culture, with her dad's side of the family being Croatian/German.... Therefore, that's why I eat the way I do now, as it's simply what I've been accustomed to for 50-odd years, and also because, for me, it's a massive part of my Italian culture, which doesn't treat food simply as 'sustenance'; food *MUST* to be something that's worth eating , and that's been prepared with LOVE and PASSION.

I'm certainly not alone in that view either, as if you speak with any other Italian, Frenchman, Spaniard - you name it - the vast majority will feel the same way about food, and practice the mantra of LIVE TO EAT, not eat to live. Yet, for some reason, the attitude in Britain towards food (although getting much better now), for the majority, is still not as passionate, as generally it is with other Europeans.

In Britain, it's more common for folks to be happy just to eat anything that fills them up. it's no 'big deal', but which for the likes of an Italian or Frenchman, would be an anathema.

Why is that, I wonder?

<Discuss>

Marco.
    Main System

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    im not big on black or haggis etc..i dont really eat offal etc, it was not a first go to when young as i didnt like it much, probably due to fact it wasnt great stuff. took me years to get a liking for it. my dad loved tripe and onions which not only smell disgusting but look it too...
    Interesting about offal - I am fine with eating it as long as I don't think about it too much

I had a "petit déjeuner anglaise" in Normandy once - even the waitress tried to persuade me not to have the andouillette (effectively fried course chopped intestine), it tasted ok but the texture was "interesting".

A good butchers black pudding is a treat for me, but only occasionally.

I am sure that in the '60's we ate more offal in England - one of my favourites at primary school (and it was a regular on the menu) was braised heart - brilliant meat/gravy with mashed potato and mashed swede. I have mentioned it to my children and they seem to think that it is disgusting to even consider cooking a heart.
    I would draw the line at brain though!
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

I tend to find fire damaged, dismembered animal corpse somewhat revolting.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm guy.

Just read your post Marco, and I do think that in England the general populace got used to food as a fuel as part of the effect of our early "industrial revolution", also rationing for two world wars didn't help with variety - my mum told me how angry she was being posted to Germany in the 1940's and '50's and finding that they didn't have rationing - I think it carried on in England until about 1952?
    Typical of the UK obsession with "class" perhaps - any old shit is good enough for the plebes as long as they have enough energy to work?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I tend to find fire damaged, dismembered animal corpse somewhat revolting.

None of the above was "fire damaged" - cooked to perfection
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread