+ Reply to Thread
Page 650 of 1475 FirstFirst ... 1505506006406486496506516526607007501150 ... LastLast
Results 6,491 to 6,500 of 14743

Thread: OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I would say Waitrose provides consistently high quality produce, which rarely disappoints (certainly for me anyway). Lidl and Aldi provide very good value with some great products, but they can often disappoint.

For me a great example of you get what you pay for. Very subjective though and depends entirely on how high you set the bar
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm James.

Odd how you can sometimes but a cheap lasagne and it can be acceptable but some of the expensive ones are shite.

I sometimes buy a Mousaka if I am a lazy bastard and by far the best I have tried is the M&S although I have often found a lot of their products so so! Not tried a Bighams but probably better ?

Thing with ready meals is that you are always just re hearing cooked food so it will never compare to home cooking or good restaurant cooking. When I worked as a chef you will be surprised however just how many restaurants serve re heated food especially vegetables!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I would say Waitrose provides consistently high quality produce, which rarely disappoints (certainly for me anyway). Lidl and Aldi provide very good value with some great products, but they can often disappoint.

For me a great example of you get what you pay for. Very subjective though and depends entirely on how high you set the bar...
    Sure, but not if you've been shopping there for years and know most of their product range inside out, thus can simply target the stuff that from experience you *know* will be good! That done, there are unlikely to be any disappointments - and at least with Aldi or Lidl, should you take a punt on trying something new, and it turns out to be excellent (or vice versa), you'll not have paid through the nose for it!

In terms of 'setting the bar' Timbo, trust me, I have very high standards, in terms of what food I'll eat (as does Del), and the stuff we buy from either Lidl or Aldi is chosen because, for us, it's the best of its type that we've tried from any of the supermarkets, and which for us offers high VFM.

What we both object to (much like with hi-fi) is paying extra £s, simply for a 'fancy badge', when just as good (if not better) can be had for less, from an 'inferior' one, i.e. Lidl vs. Waitrose. Or... If something from the latter is significantly better, the extra cost has to be judged by us as being worth it.

What we NEVER do, is simply carry out all of our food shopping in the 'poshest', most expensive supermarket, under the notion that it *must* be the best, because of the name and/or it's the most expensive (making the fatal error of assuming that a high price-tag automatically indicates highest quality], simply because we can afford to. That mentality is just for daftees/snobs with more money than sense!

The funniest, most pathetic assholes, are the ones who take Waitrose or M&S carrier bags into Aldi or Lidl, and fill them up with their products, in order to fool the neighbours, should they be around when they're unpacking the car!! And yes, I've known a few clowns like that in my time... Hilarious!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Odd how you can sometimes but a cheap lasagne and it can be acceptable but some of the expensive ones are shite.
    I guess it'll come down to which combination of flavours tickles your tastebuds most, even if what you're eating is intrinsically not very good. I'm not really into any shop-bought lasagne, as there's always too much sauce and not enough pasta! And often, the sauce tastes so artificial (plasticky) and just rotten, especially when poor-quality meat is used

It simply doesn't compare to a good homemade version

Thing with ready meals is that you are always just re hearing cooked food so it will never compare to home cooking or good restaurant cooking. When I worked as a chef you will be surprised however just how many restaurants serve re heated food especially vegetables!
    I'm not surprised, but if you know how properly cooked fresh veg should LOOK, as well as taste (the texture and colour, for starters, of reheated veg is much different from fresh, and a clear giveaway), you'll soon know when you see it. If that happens to me, and it rarely has, as we tend to eat in places where such lazy/shoddy practices are unlikely to occur), I simply send it back and tell them to do it right, from scratch.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Chicken Tikka Masala pilau rice
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

For me a great example of you get what you pay for. Very subjective though and depends entirely on how high you set the bar
    Whilst I really like Marco's sentiments and feelings on the matter, I actually think Tim is correct in practice.

Marco - there's no need to say more. I know how you feel on the matter.

Nah.....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Solid.

I'm Dan.

Cassoulet and a green salad for tea... Washed down with a very nice glass of Cote du Rhône (and a pint of water as the cassoulet is clarty as feck)
    Bigger than you...

My Office : 2021 M1 MacBook Air > Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB interface > JBL 308P MkII active studio monitors on Atacama SL600 stands via Van Damme TRS to XLR balanced cables
    The spare room : Music via iTunes & internet > ATV3 > optical into a Fiio D3 DAC > SMSL SA50 integrated > AE109 speakers - QED cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What we both object to (much like with hi-fi) is paying extra £s, simply for a 'fancy badge', when just as good (if not better) can be had for less
    Can't argue with that. One thing I do rate as very good value is an Aldi whisky, Highland Black 8YO. It's excellent for the money and I did a blind whisky challenge recently with my mate, who's also a whisky lover and he rated it higher than a Glenfiddich 12YO single malt! I've polished off two bottles this year

Tis good stuff - it's not a world beater, but hard to top at 13 quid.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread