+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LFD AUDIO: Their new LPCD (low powered class d) integrated amplifier.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Lfd Have not really Jacked the price they have developed amazing new products over the years and continue to do so, as Far Cables dr Bews thinks way way out of the box where he is hand pulling silver core of many many different dimensions also haveing custom d shape and differents shaped conductors to tune things. The development time and labor time is nuts a Golden Cobra cable is complete madness to produce and every aspect is hand built by the mand him self. The products show complete dedication of one man.
    I'm sorry, I just don't see component swapping as 'design' in any genuine sense. Of course you can change the sound around by swapping components made from different materials (even though values remain the same) but it's all a bit random/haphazard. Yes I'm sure some small incremental improvements can be achieved if you spend a load of time on it but really .. it's drudge work, there's nothing particularly clever about it.

On the other hand, most people would agree with the view that improvement in audio more typicaly comes from innovation in circuit toplogy. It's stated on the LFD web site that essentially the same design principles apply throughout the range, but that exotic components somehow add potentially thousands in value due to some mystical expertise in their application. From my perspective, charging heaps more just because a system uses rare capacitors from the 1950s or whatever seems like a load of nonsense to me.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm sorry, I just don't see component swapping as 'design' in any genuine sense. Of course you can change the sound around by swapping components made from different materials (even though values remain the same) but it's all a bit random/haphazard. Yes I'm sure some small incremental improvements can be achieved if you spend a load of time on it but really .. it's drudge work, there's nothing particularly clever about it.

On the other hand, most people would agree with the view that improvement in audio more typicaly comes from innovation in circuit toplogy. It's stated on the LFD web site that essentially the same design principles apply throughout the range, but that exotic components somehow add potentially thousands in value due to some mystical expertise in their application. From my perspective, charging heaps more just because a system uses rare capacitors from the 1950s or whatever seems like a load of nonsense to me.

I do not agree I have heard many so called great expensive amps that do not deliver even with exotic components, it takes real passion and dedication to develop a product that actually delivers the goods via circuit and part selection, . For me a developed product means someone has spent a great deal of time, choosing the right ingredients like a great cook actually contemplating what goes where. I suspect many manufacturers will never recover there costs.
    I know for a fact that esteemed makes such as Be Yammamura, and audio teckne take the artisan same approach. These individuals have created there own specific markets. Even with out of this world pricing will most likely never become millionaires. At the end of the day its all about what delivers the goods and what it takes to do so.

The R and D behind and sheer time that goes into trial and error that goes into some artisan products is insane, I have been in the hobby like your good self a long time. How many manufacturers actually become rich from Hifi, not many I suspect. The likes of Dr Bews will most likely never recover their investment and costs of development.

The fact is that Lfd offers amps at various price levels from £2200 and up and every model has the same attention to detail, I have the Master Dual and matching preamp at home an am taken away by the sheer musicality and capability of these amplifiers. The proof comes from actually listening, I like your good self have owned and own many great products. I currently own products from some of the most esteemed japanese makers in the world all I can say what makes me smile after a heavy hard day for the precious moments i get to listen.

I can say these amps deliver way above there price points. I like you am fed up of expensive boxes that just do not actually deliver the good and from first. hand experience they do deliver way above there price points I am comparing these amplifiers that cost ten times as much in some cases. I find a lot on the market just lack sheer attention to detail and real thought just throwing expensive parts in and resulting in far from adequate performance. This cannot be said of LFD.

The lfd amps work in my opinion in a understated classy way without shouting from the roof top saying I am the best, they work and deliver deliver the goods with magical sounds. They are up there with the great Japanese masters in my book and are way out of the box compared to majority of products available.This is a great achievement in my book and should be applauded.

I am fed up of hearing over priced products that just do not deliver and these certainly do the business and that is what matters. I suspect Dr Bews will never become rich and will continue to work away in is humble way for years to come .I can honestly say from actual listening and that what matters they deliver way above what is said on the tin, and thats what matters.

I will be getting my own units in the next few weeks as these are on loan you are most welcome to listen for your good self,maybe you will educate me and tell me something I do not know. Lfd might not appeal to HIFI snobs, but on the other hand if one wishes to be understated and performance is the goal and likes the idea of a true artisan product then one should seriously take a listen.There are some lovely products on the market people like glen croft offer true audio bargains. In the same way I feel from my listening actually offers true value for money and what you get is a true top class product.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 02-02-2019 at 11:30.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Greg.

I dont agree firstly I have heard many so called great expensive amps that do not deliver even with exotic components where the work comes in is trying to develop a product that actually delivers the goods via circuit and part sellection. For me a developed product means someone has spent a great deal of time choosing the right ingredients like a great cook actually contemplating what goes where. I know for a fact this is the fact of some of the most esteemed makes such as Be Yammamura and audio teckne and they have there client base and from what I understand even with there out of this world pricing will most likely never become millionaires. At the end of the day its all about what delivers the goods.

The R and D behind and sheer time that goes into trial and error that goes into some artisan products is insane I have been in the hobby like your good self a long time. How many manufacturers actually become rich from Hifi not many I know someone like Dr Bews with the amount of investment and overall sales will most likely never recover costs let alone make substantial profits. From what I understand

The fact is that Lfd offers amps at various price levels from £2200 and up and every model has the same attention to detail I have the Master Dual and matching preamp at home an am taken away by the sheer musicality and capability of these amplifiers. The proof comes from actually listening, I like your good self have owned and own many great products.

I currently own products from some of the most esteemed japanese makers in the world all I can say what makes me smile after a heavy hard day for the precious moments i get to listen.

I can say these amps deliver way above there price points. I like you am fed up of expensive boxes that just dont actually deliver the good and from fisrt hand experience they do deliver way above there price points I am comparing these amplifiers that cost ten times as much in some cases.

The lfd amps work in my opinion in a understated classy way without shouting from the roof top saying I am the best actaully deliver the goods with magical sounds in the same way that some of the great Japanese masters do, and this is a great achievement in my book .

I am fed up of hearing over priced products that do not deliver and these certainly do the business and that is what matters. I suspect Dr Bews will never become rich and will continue to work away in is humble way for years to come .I can honestly say from actual listening and that what matters they deliver way above what is said on the tin, and thats what matters. I will be getting my own units in the next few weeks as these are on loan you are most welcome to listen for your good self maybe you will educate me and tell me something I do not know I some how suspect not. If one wants to be a hifi snob than lfd products might no be for them one the other hand if one wishes to be understated and wants a true stunning artisan products that can musically deliver the goods and give us a taste of the makers sheer passion then these amps are certainly work seeking out.
    Some punctuation would really get your points across more clearly, Nari. Nevertheless, a good read!

Tom makes the point that most people would agree that it’s circuit design which leads to better sound. However, it’s funny that in a lot of highly regarded valve equipment it seems to be mostly venerable circuit designs tweaked with higher quality componentry, over innovative circuits.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegamus View Post
    Some punctuation would really get your points across more clearly, Nari. Nevertheless, a good read!

Tom makes the point that most people would agree that it’s circuit design which leads to better sound. However, it’s funny that in a lot of highly regarded valve equipment it seems to be mostly venerable circuit designs tweaked with higher quality componentry, over innovative circuits.
    Sorry I am careless at the best of times and get carried away, like most of us we have our opinions. You make a valuable point most of these circuits have been around for years and it takes a excellent cook to get the best out of them.

Its a fun hobby at the end of the day, there is so much out there to choose from and can be rather daunting. I applaud any one who has chosen this hobby, as it takes a lot of sacrifice and dedication, We are all on the same page because of our sheer love and interest at the end of the day.

I suspect majority of the world could not care less, and would most likely certify us if they knew what we get up to. There are some products that do offer performance, and value and LFD from my listening meet this criteria.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 02-02-2019 at 12:09.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Greg.

Sorry I am careless at the best of times and get carried away, like most of us we have our opinions. You make a valuable point most of these circuits have been around for years and it takes a excellent cook to get the best out of them.

Its a fun hobby at the end of the day, there is so much out there to choose from and can be rather daunting. I applaud any one who has chosen this hobby, as it takes a lot of sacrifice and dedication, We are all on the same page because of our sheer love and interest at the end of the day.

I suspect majority of the world could not care less, and would most likely certify us if they knew what we get up to. There are some products that do offer performance, and value and LFD from my listening meet this criteria.
    Yep, Mik At UA has recommended LFD to me for ages but I’ve stuck with my Leben amp for 4+ years now. Just can’t separate my Leben and Harbeth speakers! Unless I have an unexpected windfall I suspect the pair will be staying longterm. My interest now is mostly with my Audio Grail Garrard 301 and the choice of stereo/monocarts, SUTs, phono stages etc. Mik is going to help set it up for me next month. Would love to try out some of the Shindo or Audio Tekne gear. Nice to see someone enjoying this stuff in the UK for a change.

I'm Neil.

I agree that there is a difference between circuit tuning and circuit design, Dr. Bews does both, but invests a lot of time, “grunt work” and effort into tuning. This is a painstaking process.

The proof is in the listening... my LFD pre power combo is just a different level compared to anything I’ve heard or used.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Wegamus View Post
    Yep, Mik At UA has recommended LFD to me for ages but I’ve stuck with my Leben amp for 4+ years now. Just can’t separate my Leben and Harbeth speakers! Unless I have an unexpected windfall I suspect the pair will be staying longterm. My interest now is mostly with my Audio Grail Garrard 301 and the choice of stereo/monocarts, SUTs, phono stages etc. Mik is going to help set it up for me next month. Would love to try out some of the Shindo or Audio Tekne gear. Nice to see someone enjoying this stuff in the UK for a change.
    I can see why you would not want to chop and change all becomes very costly and time consuming, As you have Harbeth maybe have a listen to one of the LFD integrated amps like the NCSE 111 i have heard this against the Leban pre power and its quite an amplifier.

Shindo is a bit hit and miss some of there products are sensational and some rather mediocre a little inconsistent. The Audio Teckne gear is quite special real thought behind it and based on rather special transformer design, The Lfd pre power I am currently have on loan is up there in performance level in many ways without the heat etc and the potential problems. Maybe does not have the same cache but serious in its performance.

Congratulations the Audio Grail 301 is a real joy to own and a wise choice, with a good plinth it is as good as 301,s gets in my opinion. I have a Audio Grail 301 and have compared it to my Shindo 301. While the Shindo has a cult following the Audio Grail turntable in a plinth made by RJC is certainly up there the Shindo being a bit more rose tinted and lacks the sheer drive and transparency. The real key to the 301 is getting a nice unit from the likes of audio grail and spending as much as one can afford on a plinth. In that regard the Thorens 124 is a better but then the servicing costs tend to be higher. I am sure you will get years of pleasure from the 301.

I'm Manny.

There are some lovely products on the market people like glen croft offer true audio bargains. In the same way I feel from my listening actually offers true value for money and what you get is a true top class product.
    I'm glad you mentioned Glenn Croft, it's perfect example of the business disparity here. However the comparison ends there - Glenn's common sense approach has always appealed to me. You say he offers 'true audio bargains' - that's insulting as Glenn would say it's incongruous for him to charge vastly more.

Glenn has over 30 years of experience, that's a lot of R&D, but he certainly never charged me £20K on a preamp he built me a few years ago to benefit from his 'knowledge'.

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned Glenn Croft, it's perfect example of the business disparity here. However the comparison ends there - Glenn's common sense approach has always appealed to me. You say he offers 'true audio bargains' - that's insulting as Glenn would say it's incongruous for him to charge vastly more.

Glenn has over 30 years of experience, that's a lot of R&D, but he certainly never charged me £20K on a preamp he built me a few years ago to benefit from his 'knowledge'.
    I think Nari is just comparing the sort of quality Croft gear offers, against what else is available and noting the price disparity. Maybe we’re used to being overcharged? No advertising budget costs must certainly make lower RRP easier for Glenn to offer.

I'm Neil.

Default LFD AUDIO: Their new LPCD (low powered class d) integrated amplifier.

That’s a good analogy actually, cooking.

Some turn out dish after dish, paying little attention to refining them and just focusing on what’s next.

I know from experience that if you give two people a can of tomatoes, tomato purée, onions / celery / carrots, garlic, red wine, mince, and salt and pepper, the results will vary wildly, from a fine ragu to a sloppy Spag Bol.

Having worked with those ingredients “enthusiastically” for 6+ yrs now I like to think I can turn out a decent meat sauce... minute adjustments anywhere can change the fundamental balance of it.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast