Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furutech’s New Destat III

I'm Howard.

Default Furutech’s New Destat III

Well, hello.

I'm simon.

anyone had experience of one of these?
    i am considering it
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are you troubled with static? Does it affect both CD and LP?

You could try having a well-watered pot plant near your player and TT. It will be a lot cheaper than the Furutech device.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

They had a whole load of that Furutech stuff in one of the rooms at the NW Show this year.

LP and CD de-magnetizer only £3K. How do you get them magnetized in the first place?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are you troubled with static? Does it affect both CD and LP?

You could try having a well-watered pot plant near your player and TT. It will be a lot cheaper than the Furutech device.
    ahh so humidity helps. i thought it made it worse.
    but i do have a room atomiser that i have not used in ages, so i will give that a try.
    thanks Barry
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They had a whole load of that Furutech stuff in one of the rooms at the NW Show this year.

LP and CD de-magnetizer only £3K. How do you get them magnetized in the first place?
    £3K !!!!!! i bet they dont fly off the shelves.
    rediculous money.

i dont think i will line there pockets for the destat now out of prinipal.

maybe i need to alter something on my cleaning regime, like stronger mix of cleaning fluid for example.

I'm Martin.

are you using anti-static inner sleeves? If not spend some money there.

Get a humidity meter and monitor the humidity near your record storage. Below fifty percent and that's probably the cause. I don't think it's your cleaning regime.

Dry air is a bastard for static especially combined with nylon carpets. In Las Vegas (humidity about ten percent) I would get a shock off the lift button every single morning - after a week or so it got so I didn't mind.

You could actually see the spark. Like a special effect in a film.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Something that crossed my mind as well, when I first heard of the Furutech demagnetiser.

Lets start with LPs. These are made from PVC with a lot of additives such as plasticisers, stabilisers, mould releasing agents etc., plus of course carbon black. It is only the carbon black that might contain magnetic material. Looking at the blurb from a major carbon black manufacturer, the only impurities of interest are cobalt (< 5 ppm) and nickel (< 10 ppm). Whilst both of these impurities are highly magnetic (cobalt in particular), their presence is so small, that I can't see how the Furutech demagnetiser can have much effect, if any at all.

As for CDs, the only part of interest is the metal layer that contains the digital information. The used metal is usually aluminium, but sometimes gold or silver are used. However all three metals are non-magnetic, so use of the demagnetiser will also have little, if any effect.

But there are some who claim using the Furutech device is not only desirable but essential. https://positive-feedback.com/review...-demagnetizer/
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Something that crossed my mind as well, when I first heard of the Furutech demagnetiser.

Lets start with LPs. These are made from PVC with a lot of additives such as plasticisers, stabilisers, mould releasing agents etc., plus of course carbon black. It is only the carbon black that might contain magnetic material. Looking at the blurb from a major carbon black manufacturer, the only impurities of interest are cobalt (< 5 ppm) and nickel (< 10 ppm). Whilst both of these impurities are highly magnetic (cobalt in particular), their presence is so small, that I can't see how the Furutech demagnetiser can have much effect, if any at all.

As for CDs, the only part of interest is the metal layer that contains the digital information. The used metal is usually aluminium, but sometimes gold or silver are used. However all three metals are non-magnetic, so use of the demagnetiser will also have little, if any effect.

But there are some who claim using the Furutech device is not only desirable but essential. https://positive-feedback.com/review...-demagnetizer/
    Interesting. Reduces magnetic field of the record by 50 NT from 625NT to 575NT - 'ten percent' - but an NT is nothing at all, it's one ten billionth of a Gauss. And a little fridge magnet is 100 Gauss.

Such an infinitesimal amount of magnetic field audibly effects sound quality? And even though the device only removes ten percent of that, it still audibly improves the sound?

Not sure about that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm simon.

are you using anti-static inner sleeves? If not spend some money there.

Get a humidity meter and monitor the humidity near your record storage. Below fifty percent and that's probably the cause. I don't think it's your cleaning regime.

Dry air is a bastard for static especially combined with nylon carpets. In Las Vegas (humidity about ten percent) I would get a shock off the lift button every single morning - after a week or so it got so I didn't mind.

You could actually see the spark. Like a special effect in a film.
    already got a meter, its gone up from 50 to 58% since i put the atomiser back on after my last post.
    luckily no nylon carpets or y fronts here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast