+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furutech’s New Destat III

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Something that crossed my mind as well, when I first heard of the Furutech demagnetiser.

Lets start with LPs. These are made from PVC with a lot of additives such as plasticisers, stabilisers, mould releasing agents etc., plus of course carbon black. It is only the carbon black that might contain magnetic material. Looking at the blurb from a major carbon black manufacturer, the only impurities of interest are cobalt (< 5 ppm) and nickel (< 10 ppm). Whilst both of these impurities are highly magnetic (cobalt in particular), their presence is so small, that I can't see how the Furutech demagnetiser can have much effect, if any at all.

As for CDs, the only part of interest is the metal layer that contains the digital information. The used metal is usually aluminium, but sometimes gold or silver are used. However all three metals are non-magnetic, so use of the demagnetiser will also have little, if any effect.

But there are some who claim using the Furutech device is not only desirable but essential. https://positive-feedback.com/review...-demagnetizer/
    £3k obviously buys a bulk load of snake oil then?
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post
    already got a meter, its gone up from 50 to 58% since i put the atomiser back on after my last post.
    luckily no nylon carpets or y fronts here!
    we'll see if there's any improvement with the static. My room is usually between 50 and 60 but today it's 72.

Seen it as low as 38 on a cold dry day in winter.

Y fronts and hi-fi always a bad mix.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Actually 1nT = 10 millionth of a Gauss, but you're right the reduction of the magnetic field intensity due to the use of the demagnetiser is very small.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12