+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynamic range of vinyl recordings

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I though dynamic range was limited with vinyl because of the limitations of the stylus being able to track a groove?
    was talking absolutes, not in practice. think cd(16 bit) undithered is about 96db but with dither goes up somewhat, and is commonly kept up near the top. this is what audiophiles dont like). Although there is technically no maximum of analogue, on vinyl its about 70+ but rarely always up there as it would cause issues. With vinyl mastering they obviously adjust down the bass a bit and usually up the high freq, then the amp equalizes it(afaik)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Also the amount of space on a vinyl record is limited. And the speed, 45 is better than 33. Compare the 12 inch single to the album track of the same song. Add to that surface noise and there are big limitations on the dynamic range of vinyl whereas digital is only limited by the bit depth of the format, which, in theory, can be infinite.
    Sorry if this digresses a bit, but why is 45rpm better-sounding than 33? I'd always assumed it may be to do with how much of the record the stylus can pass through in a given period of time! Also one reason why reel to reel sounds better than compact cassette (due to the higher speed) and why the 'long play' facility on VCRs was never as good.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

As an audio forum collective we need to push boundaries further, rather than being surrounded by them.

For instance from the article https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    "I'm sure you've heard this many, many times: The human hearing range spans 20Hz to 20kHz. It's important to know how researchers arrive at those specific numbers"

This is safe and very nice for manufacturers of equipment, in fact so much so, you will I predict see deterioration of those specifications as time moves on.
    As example 0.4db drop of frequency here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-286-amp.6443/

Rather we should insist on understanding hearing as perception of frequencies outside that range as identified by David Blackmer
    https://earthworksaudio.com/wp-conte...yond-20kHz.pdf

I'm Chris.

We need equipment capable like this again http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...wer-amplifier/
    Look at the frequency response of this https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ation-17.shtml
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 06-02-2019 at 21:40.

I'm Angus.

I couldn't agree more. If as a species all we had ever heard was 20kHz sinusoidal frequency range we wouldn't have lived to tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    As an audio forum collective we need to push boundaries further, rather than being surrounded by them.

For instance from the article https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    "I'm sure you've heard this many, many times: The human hearing range spans 20Hz to 20kHz. It's important to know how researchers arrive at those specific numbers"

This is safe and very nice for manufacturers of equipment, in fact so much so, you will I predict see deterioration of those specifications as time moves on.
    As example 0.4db drop of frequency here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-286-amp.6443/

Rather we should insist on understanding hearing as perception of frequencies outside that range as identified by David Blackmer

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post

'Many listeners hear a great difference when 20kHz band-limited audio signals are compared with wide band signals.'
    - no they don't, at least not when put to the test. The difference between this article and the previous two is that in this article a bloke is trying to sell you something.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

What about intermodulation?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

'Many listeners hear a great difference when 20kHz band-limited audio signals are compared with wide band signals.'
    - no they don't, at least not when put to the test.
    How do you *know* that for sure, Martin - when was the last time you tested a sample section of listeners for such? Or do you just automatically accept as fact, what you've read somewhere, and which on the surface, appears to support your argument?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

- no they don't, at least not when put to the test. The difference between this article and the previous two is that in this article a bloke is trying to sell you something.
    As I’ve posted on this forum before, when I was just a kid in school, a doctor came around to test everyone’s hearing. When it came my turn, the nurse called the doctor in, and he ran the tests over and over, and the machine could not stump me, my hearing exceeded the freq. gen. they were using that topped out over 24KHz, so yes, a proven, lab tested result of me hearing well above 20KHz, documented. (I suppose they kept records, but I don’t have them, it was very long ago). No doubt I do not hear as well as I did when I was 12, but we can say that some humans can hear over 20KHz, in fact, over 24KHz, as he could not stump me, we don’t know how high my hearing would have tested.

I read an article, probably 20 or more years ago, I wish I could find it but wouldn’t know where to look, but this acoustic scientist was testing high frequency effects on human hearing. He had some graphs showing that while subjects could not hear frequencies upward of 40KHz, brain scan MRI showed that there was brain activity when the subjects were exposed to frequencies from 20K to 40KHz. What does that mean? It’s hard to say, how does the brain know about things you can’t hear? Or are these frequencies managed by the brain differently from sound information?

The biggest problem with A/B testing for such things is the test subjects, if they are an average run of the mill population, then there will be some with good hearing, and some with lesser hearing, and some with bad hearing. If we tested test subjects and only chose the ones who could hear at 20KHz or greater, then the test may provide some meaningful results?

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    How do you *know* that for sure, Martin - when was the last time you tested a sample section of listeners for such? Or do you just automatically accept as fact, what you've read somewhere, and which on the surface, appears to support your argument?

Marco.
    It's not 'my argument'. It's a fact that in all the trials conducted no-one was able to distinguish the difference between 'hi res' music and the same at 16/44.1 - Unsurprisingly these results correlate perfectly with all of the other research done over the past 100 years into the limitations of human hearing.

I think you need to get away from the idea that arguments I present are something I dreamed up myself. They are based on considerable amounts of study of the existing research, all of which was done with an open mind and with no bias. There is no 'I want to believe' with me, and I don't have any horse in the race or any axe to grind. I'm only interested in the truth of the matter, whatever that turns out to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast