+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Dynamic range of vinyl recordings

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    An interesting article from the NYT which is very apt for this post on dynamic range.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/o...ness-wars.html
    Usually the NYT is fish wrap. But this is a very concise and to the point article! Good find

Russ

I'm John.

Excellent Presentation on the subject of Dynamic Range.
    The graphs make visualisation of the range easy to interpret.
    It would be good to have at least one of those Old School Analogue Recorded Tracks present at a Phonostage Bake Off/Comparison event.
    Is the article also hinting that a Broader Dynamic Range engineered into a recording, will have a positive effect on a long term marketing strategy for a recording, with sales figures being high, when new formats are introduced for the said recording.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Is the article also hinting that a Broader Dynamic Range engineered into a recording, will have a positive effect on a long term marketing strategy for a recording, with sales figures being high, when new formats are introduced for the said recording.
    Yes but not sure there really is a connection. I'd say that the reason Eagles greatest hits is a best seller is because lots of people like the Eagles.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Recording companies also know that a lot of music is listened to through cheap radios or televisions that do not have sufficient clean amplifier power or capable enough speakers to do the peaks properly with a highly dynamic recording. In other words, they will distort badly.
    Let’s not give them the incentive to upgrade shall we then, eh?
    avid hifi | audiomica | amphion | anthem | audioquest | ascendo | bel canto | bluesound | caas audio | eggleston works | exposure | hegel | isoacoustics | innuos | kef audio | larsen | lumin | merason | moonriver | nagaoka | ophidian | primare | perlisten | paradigm | svs | spectral furniture | silent angel

www.thelittleaudio.company 0753 888 1969 / 0121 638 0721

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617