+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynamic range of vinyl recordings

I'm gone.

Ah, well.
    There is timing as in temporal accuracy, and timing as in tap the foot along with da choons.
    Quite different things.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, well.
    There is timing as in temporal accuracy, and timing as in tap the foot along with da choons.
    Quite different things.
    How we perceive timing is indeed fascinating. My reflection overall is there is presently advantage in digital vs analogue
    but there is at the same time far more future to achieve with digital. As an example we accept linear regulated DC supplies in digital electronics
    yet IMO this is not what they need, rather they need DC supplies to be timed on, relative to prior areas, so capable of anticipation of what
    has already occurred.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by curry49 View Post
    But those are the Classics. Ha, ha! My Gosh man, you had me going there for a while. I distinctly said that the Classics are scarcely affected by the Loudness-War. No wonder you don’t see a problem. None of this applies to you or other fans of the Classics.
    Well, yes and no.

In general, classical digital recordings aren't overly compressed, although I feel sure that there is some compression going on. Nowhere near as much as a lot of pop, though. And classical generally sounds dynamically plausible.

The exception being broadcasters such as ClassicFM - they tailor their output to car radios and Alexas. And there is one hell of a lot of compression deliberately applied.
    Just listen to the dynamic extremes of a Mahler of Bruckner scherzo on ClassicFM and you'll find that the loud bits are scarcely actually louder than the soft bits.
    This is fine in the car where I do listen to a lot of ClassicFM, but completely intolerable at home on my main audio system!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Quite a statement there. Digital prior to and following conversion to analog provides far greater accuracy
    than mechanical speed variations inherent in analog systems.
    The process of recording analogue sound onto tape rather than digital sampling/recording has timing implications. In order to fill in the gaps as it were in the sampling process the speed of the recorded information is slightly different too an analogue recording that has not gone through a digital process.

*This is not my opinion or supposition it is that of one of the greatest mastering recording engineers in the business today.* I Think he may know a little more about digital and analogue recording than we do?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The process of recording analogue sound onto tape rather than digital sampling/recording has timing implications. In order to fill in the gaps as it were in the sampling process the speed of the recorded information is slightly different too an analogue recording that has not gone through a digital process.

*This is not my opinion or supposition it is that of one of the greatest mastering recording engineers in the business today.* I Think he may know a little more about digital and analogue recording than we do?
    Do we have a link to this? I hope it's not Steve Hoffman.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neal.

‘fill in the gaps’....I hope its not that old chestnut again! There are no gaps in digital sampling the analogue signal is bandwidth limited and before anybody goes down the stair step waveform route....don’t, there are no stair steps either.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Do we have a link to this? I hope it's not Steve Hoffman.
    No its not Hoffman.

I will find you a link to a video where the chap in question is interviewed, I have sent it too you before but you were not paying attention!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    ‘fill in the gaps’....I hope its not that old chestnut again! There are no gaps in digital sampling the analogue signal is bandwidth limited and before anybody goes down the stair step waveform route....don’t, there are no stair steps either.
    It very much sounds like it, doesn't it.
    Fill in the gaps between digital samples.
    There are indeed no gaps.
    Oh dear.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No its not Hoffman.

I will find you a link to a video where the chap in question is interviewed, I have sent it too you before but you were not paying attention!
    I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday let alone a couple of years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

If you have a good look through the DRC database, it's quite alarming just how many digital download files including 24 bit high res are brickwalled into the red, not just the cd versions.

Looking at original issues from the 80s including cd, are all in the green.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast