+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynamic range of vinyl recordings

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Firstly, Martin, don't tell me that anything I've heard and reported, or the comparisons I've made, in reference to any subject, is "invalid", or we're liable to fall out in a major way, especially in this instance as you don't know for sure exactly what I've compared.

Everything we hear in audio is valid; it's only the context in which it's applied that could be argued as invalid. However, without categorical proof that's the case, which certainly hasn't been supplied in reference to the discussion here, no-one has the right to completely dismiss someone else's findings, which indirectly is what you're doing.

It's not only the differences with recordings on Tidal I can hear, but when streaming 24-bit files, contained on my NAS drives, of the *same* (and I mean SAME - same mastering, same everything else) albums I have on CD, of which i have compared 100s of examples, and more often than not, the 24-bit files sound superior (more open, detailed and dynamic).

Now I can't explain exactly what's happening, but I'm definitely not imagining it, and it would certainly help the discussion if you were less dismissive and a little more open-minded to possibilities that fall outside of your comfort zone for consideration.

Perhaps what's happening is that with 24-bit, there's a knock-on effect, which manifests itself lower down the frequency range, within audibility, and influences what is heard overall from the recording, somewhat like the effect gained by installing super-tweeters?

Lots of people who've installed super-tweeters, and used them with their existing speakers, have reported significant sonic improvements, in the way I've described with hi-res over CD, even though the tweeters are operating outside of the bounds of human audibility, and you can still hear that effect on a pair of 40-year old speakers.

On a wider note, IMO, it would also help greatly (and give more weight to your arguments here) if you obtained more practical experience in this area, by embracing file-based audio, and in the context of your system, listened to some of the recordings in question and compared them with the same on CD, rather than treating the details of technical research elsewhere as Gospel, and dismissing the valid findings of others, simply because they appear to fly in the face of that.

And since you mentioned validity, in my book, opinions on audio formed from *practical experience*, such as I've outlined above, will always be more valid than those learned from books or Internet research, and it is those opinions I will always give credence to and listen to the most.

I'll watch the video when I get a chance later.

Marco.
    I hate it when mum and dad are fighting

I've been following this thread (with difficulty) for some time now, and paragraphs 5/6 of the above make the most sense to me - can it not be this simple?

My belief is that it comes down to our perception at the end of the day, regardless of what is scientifically provable - If you shell out on something and perceive an improvement, then that improvement is real and money well spent. If you hear no improvement then regardless of whatever anyone in a science coat says, you've wasted your money! At the end of the day the world itself only exists because we perceive it to.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

And to finish an accessible lecture from a record producer who has made over 100 hi rez recordings (AIX Records). https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...tter.11/page-3

Note he points out that if you didn't record hirez and digital all the way from the microphones onward, it isn't and can never be 'hi rez' regardless. You think you've been listening to the hi rez version of Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours'? No you haven't.
    An excellent video thanks for linking to it. It's worth the effort to watch it all the way through, note: he's mainly attacking the use of HiRes as a marketing term when the material clearly comes from a CD quality or less(!) source. There's a fair bit of the usual 'look how good I'am' in the presentation but he makes some really valid points and rips into Pono heavily...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Grant.

Certainly heard differences using supertweeters with my single telefunkens. Wasnt sure i liked it so took them off again tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

The only difference I found Marco when listening to 24bit vs 16bit recordings was that although I could identify differences I could not always tell which was which and blind guessing I often chose plain vanilla 16bit over 24bit. All listening was done with FBA so CD rips, no CD in the house. Maybe your experience was different as you were using CD and 24bit files?

One aspect I do find with hi res material is the sense of air around instruments, vocals were often not too different?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The only difference I found Marco when listening to 24bit vs 16bit recordings was that although I could identify differences I could not always tell which was which and blind guessing I often chose plain vanilla 16bit over 24bit. All listening was done with FBA so CD rips, no CD in the house. Maybe your experience was different as you were using CD and 24bit files?

One aspect I do find with hi res material is the sense of air around instruments, vocals were often not too different?
    shows there were differences tho. not just the same. i agree some 16/44 sound better; can only think the mastering is done well enough to make upscaling etc a reduction again.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I hate it when mum and dad are fighting
    Lol - it's a merely a (passionate) slightly heated debate, the type of which Martin and I often have on these subjects, not a fight. He has strong views and conviction in his opinions, and so do I, but we're all big boys here, so there's no need for anyone to fall out.

I've been following this thread (with difficulty) for some time now, and paragraphs 5/6 of the above make the most sense to me - can it not be this simple?

My belief is that it comes down to our perception at the end of the day, regardless of what is scientifically provable - If you shell out on something and perceive an improvement, then that improvement is real and money well spent. If you hear no improvement then regardless of whatever anyone in a science coat says, you've wasted your money! At the end of the day the world itself only exists because we perceive it to.
    In terms of the bit in bold, I'd suggest that it's at least a possibility. I know what I'm hearing though, so I don't give a tinker's cuss what anyone in a science coat says, if I have grounds to believe there is an agenda behind it, but that's just a general point, not in relation to the stated video, which I haven't watched yet.

We're in complete agreement with the rest, which is why I simply won't have anyone's valid perceptions/experiences here dismissed as invalid/imagined or whatever, no matter how that message has been wrapped up, as the premise I've stated above is fundamental, not only to my own views on audio, but also the AoS ethos; indeed it forms its very core, and all members here must respect that.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

I'd certainly agree that reading up on the science and then gaining personal experience to reach your own conclusions is sensible. The gaining of personal experience being the more important factor...
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm James.

Nice to have a civilised discussion on this subject without being jeered at or closed down. We can all learn something on here as I am sure none of us know everything apart from what our own ears tell us. I get a bit frustrated by people who just want to point score. There are decent and cordial ways of discussing this subject which I thought was the ethos of AOS?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jim,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If you didn't know exactly what you were comparing, then as Martin says, the 16-bit version might've been preferable because of better mastering. These sorts of comparisons are only valid if, aside from the hi-res factor, you're comparing like for like, which is what I've done on numerous occasions, using recordings I have on both computer files and CD or vinyl.

I've got around 1TB worth of stored hi-res music files, which I can access at the touch of a button, and compare instantly with the CD version of the same, using the same test system, so any significant sonic differences become immediately apparent.

That doesn't always happen, but when it does, the hi-res version invariably sounds superior, in the way I've described, almost as if the recording has more 'headroom', dynamically, which as you say, increases the sense of air and space around instruments. I can only report what I hear in that respect (and have heard since I embraced FBA), so that's what I've done

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    We're in complete agreement with the rest, which is why I simply won't have anyone's valid perceptions/experiences here dismissed as invalid/imagined or whatever, no matter how that message has been wrapped up, as the premise I've stated above is fundamental, not only to my own views on audio, but also the AoS ethos; indeed it forms its very core, and all members here must respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

There has been much said on this thread and on the ground box one around "perceived' aural quality and what is real and what is not. In my experience only you as an individual can judge that for yourself, after all we each have a pair of ears and brain and by human definition they will not be the same, possibly similar but they will be slightly different. So by that fact alone it is very likely our listening experience and how we perceive music individually will be different to anybody else. So IMO it is best to listen and make your own judgment on what you like to hear and what you don't.
    Marco.
    I am in complete agreement, let your own ears be the judge of what is right and wrong with what you listen to, what sound good to one may well not to another, we have different ears and brains , and remember its about enjoying the music.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast