Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Hi Adrian,

My own experience concurs largely with yours, with perhaps the exception that all else being equal, including mastering, when comparing recordings, then high-res, done well, consistently produces a discernibly superior sound.

Now, bear in mind when making that observation, I'm not near the TV or computer screen, but simply listening to the music (I could be working in the kitchen or anywhere), and so have no idea whether I'm listening to a 'MASTER' quality recording or not. It's only when I actually look at the screen for confirmation of such, or otherwise, that I'm faced with the reality... And almost always, the difference is easily heard!

I don't know what criteria Tidal use for giving certain recordings their 'MASTER' title (perhaps someone who knows could say?) but it seems a bit too much of a coincidence that, unprompted, almost every time I hear one, it sounds better than the others, through the exact same system.....

Marco.
I would agree with most of what you say with the exception of hi-res, I cannot personally discern a difference between it and CD level quality, if the playing field is equal and from the same master. That is on my system and my friends, he is of the same opinion, maybe its the sad fact of old or buggered ears, mine definitely roll off at 15khz.

What is interesting is the TIDAL experience with their MASTER titles, and I would agree with you these generally do sound exceptionally good when compared to other recording of the same. So it would be interesting to know what they are sourced from (and I am deliberately choosing to ignore all the arguments around MQA and whether it is better or not, on my system it will only be resolved on level to CD quality anyway). Like yourself I often listen to TIDAL random playlists and find new music that way and it can be quite pronounced when the quality is better, interesting.

There has been much said on this thread and on the ground box one around "perceived' aural quality and what is real and what is not. In my experience only you as an individual can judge that for yourself, after all we each have a pair of ears and brain and by human definition they will not be the same, possibly similar but they will be slightly different. So by that fact alone it is very likely our listening experience and how we perceive music individually will be different to anybody else. So IMO it is best to listen and make your own judgment on what you like to hear and what you don't.