+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynamic range of vinyl recordings

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What technical nonsense are you referring to Jandl?
    Having to fill in the gaps between the digital samples.
    There are no gaps.
    You still don't get it, do you?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Would the vinyl have been original releases from the 70s, or the much more recent 180g reissues?

The SACD releases have all been remixed from the multitrack session tapes, even the stereo versions, largely because the stereo mastertapes were fooking knackered, having bin played to death.
    The session tapes hadn't been played since the mixes and stereo mastertapes were finalised, so were in surprisingly good condition.
    Ok that may explain it then, there is certainly a big difference, I definitely prefer the old vinyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Having to fill in the gaps between the digital samples.
    There are no gaps.
    You still don't get it, do you?
    Your tone and manner sound very confrontational and rude. Mods can you deal with this?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Yeah, come on Jerry, knock it off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Ok that may explain it then, there is certainly a big difference, I definitely prefer the old vinyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The remixes were done in 2007, and all versions released since have been from those remixes.
    That's SACD, CD & vinyl.
    The original master sourced material was pulled from circulation the second those remixes became available.
    The last time the original stereo masters were used was for the 1994/1995 Definitive Remaster CDs.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Russell.

Who cares what new pop music sounds like? I mean, have you heard it? The vast majority of my vinyl collection was purchased before 1982, so I’m not affected by these volume wars.

I do have a few hundred CD’s from the 80’s and 90’s, and a pretty decent CD player, but I play vinyl 10 to 1 over CD’s, partly due to sound quality, but mostly because I prefer the music made before 1982. Is it because it sounds better? Maybe

If I do own a recording performed after 2000, I’m not sure what it is? But I’m am sure that no matter the medium, it all goes back to the engineer, and what he chose to do with the session tapes. I’ve got good vinyl, and bad, good CD, and bad. The engineer’s decisions during the mastering process far out way differences in the mediums. IMHO

Russell

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Who cares what new pop music sounds like? I mean, have you heard it? The vast majority of my vinyl collection was purchased before 1982, so I’m not affected by these volume wars.

I do have a few hundred CD’s from the 80’s and 90’s, and a pretty decent CD player, but I play vinyl 10 to 1 over CD’s, partly due to sound quality, but mostly because I prefer the music made before 1982. Is it because it sounds better? Maybe

If I do own a recording performed after 2000, I’m not sure what it is? But I’m am sure that no matter the medium, it all goes back to the engineer, and what he chose to do with the session tapes. I’ve got good vinyl, and bad, good CD, and bad. The engineer’s decisions during the mastering process far out way differences in the mediums. IMHO

Russell
    Yep, your pretty close to the truth of it, and then the care taken getting it to vinyl or later on to CD, they both can be screwed up in manufacturing.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Russell.

I will say that some of the new 180g vinyl records I’ve bought recently, that were recently made, do sound excellent! The original album was created back in 1969, so they may be remastered?

But I’ll attribute their good sound to the pressing process, and the vinyl recipe. I have heard that the new vinyl recipe is a bit harder than the vinyl we bought back in the late 70’s. With some ingredient that acts as a lubricant to the diamond sliding around on it.

Many of the “Improved”, products we enjoy these days are due to new materials. “Better Living Through Chemistry”, used to be on the sign entering my nearest little town, due to all the factories there. But they took it down after they got caught polluting the river. But more on subject, we see a lot of new materials in the Hi Fi industry, new speaker cone materials, new rubbers and adhesives in phono carts., new plastics in capacitors, oxygen free metals. And apparently, better vinyl for records?

Recording studios now have some of the best equipment in all of history to master new music with! Power filters and better cables, and the build quality of the rest of the chain. Too bad they let business men dictate how they use it, and let some “volume war”, screw up what should be the best we’ve ever known!

Russell

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    “Better Living Through Chemistry”, used to be on the sign entering my nearest little town, due to all the factories there. But they took it down after they got caught polluting the river.
    That's funny.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Quite a statement there. Digital prior to and following conversion to analog provides far greater accuracy
    than mechanical speed variations inherent in analog systems.
    I am not questioning the accuracy of digital reproduction whatever you may perceive that to be.

I was referring to transient timing which affects spatial awareness of digital sound. Hence digital often sounds so flat compared to analogue.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast