+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm barry.

You can dress it up how you like but never have we had so many stabbings, shootings etc by followers of a particular genre of music followed by certain elements of youth culture.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    You can dress it up how you like but never have we had so many stabbings, shootings etc by followers of a particular genre of music followed by certain elements of youth culture.
    Actually I don't disagree. There is a whole genre of music that seems to be based around glorification of violence indeed quite of few of its perpetrators seem to have been involved in violence themselves or become victims (if that's the word for someone complicit) of it.

Banning stuff is difficult though, it gets you into areas of who are the censors, what are their criteria, what are the penalties for infraction and how far do you go for example does all new music require to be fully PC? Does old music get banned as well? I can think of a few Zappa albums that might not quite pass muster for today's PC police.

I'm Martin.

People made the same unfounded correlation between the popularity of jazz and the 'decline in moral standards' back in the 1920s. Hitler, for instance.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

its like banning or burning books just coz you dont like the massage or the performer/author.... a dangerous road to go down, and all you will do is make it mean more to the folk who like it; it wont go away, just underground
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    its like banning or burning books just coz you dont like the massage or the performer/author.... a dangerous road to go down, and all you will do is make it mean more to the folk who like it; it wont go away, just underground
    Quite right, a need to educate rather than eradicate!
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    People made the same unfounded correlation between the popularity of jazz and the 'decline in moral standards' back in the 1920s. Hitler, for instance.
    I thought the Nazis hated jazz because so many of the top musicians were black or jewish!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I thought the Nazis hated jazz because so many of the top musicians were black or jewish!
    that too, but also because it was degenerate music
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Definitely got worse. We had some crap around back in the day, but none of it encouraged gang membership, knife crime or violence, unlike today's " this is the music of the streets bro" shit that a lot of these little twats have latched on to.
    I think you might be referring to 'Drill' music, a sub genre of Grime, by criminals for criminals. And those little twats you see on park benches talking in their squeaky little faux Jamaican accents, yo gangster bro
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Rob.

"Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?"

How much of what they (drug addled youth) listen to has any originality? If it sounds a quarter to half decent you can bet your house on it, that it belongs to someone else from the dark distant past. If its new it was created on a mixing machine with a generic beat and everything else mixed over the top to a formula.

There are "islands" of talent out there, but probably not making that much money because they don't use mixing machines.

"Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?" - Yes!

Victor Meldrew has just left the house!!!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Actually I don't disagree. There is a whole genre of music that seems to be based around glorification of violence indeed quite of few of its perpetrators seem to have been involved in violence themselves or become victims (if that's the word for someone complicit) of it.

Banning stuff is difficult though, it gets you into areas of who are the censors, what are their criteria, what are the penalties for infraction and how far do you go for example does all new music require to be fully PC? Does old music get banned as well? I can think of a few Zappa albums that might not quite pass muster for today's PC police.
    Perhaps this goes back to the old question, “Does Art imitate Life? Or does Life imitate Art?”. Does the music promote violence, or does violence promote the music? It can be hard to untangle.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast