+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm Adrian.

Default Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

I've come across similar sentiments and antipathy towards the playing of 'best of' or 'greatest hits' collections. In my experience, like Geoff's, I find there are very few albums where I want to listen to the whole performance.
    Try Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon or Supertramp - Crime of the Century or Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

If you don’t like the whole album in each case thenyour lost I’m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

I do prefer to listen to the whole album but I'm not religious about it. No question some albums were intended by the artist to be listened to in full, DSOTM is a good example.

WRT greatest hits albums, I have all Steely Dan albums (except the last two) on vinyl and CD, also have the Greatest Hits album on vinyl and CD. I still like to listen to the Greatest Hits album sometimes. So what?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting comments on such habits... I generally listen to whole albums, without skipping tracks, even when they contain songs I'm not so keen on, as sometimes they can be 'growers', so the more I listen to them, the more I may grow to like them, which has happened a few times

However, if they're complete 'no-nos', then I will skip tracks. Interestingly though, I'll generally only do that with CDs. Streaming surprisingly encourages me to play albums all the way through (I'm not really one for making up playlists), and I'll always listen to vinyl records all the way through, as I can't be arsed getting up to move the 'needle'...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Try Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon or Supertramp - Crime of the Century or Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

If you don’t like the whole album in each case thenyour lost I’m
    I have all of those recordings - and yes, in those cases I do play the whole album. But I don't neccessarily do the same for each and every record in my collection; nor do I feel any moral obligation to do so.

After all how much Gregorian chant can you listen to in one sitting?
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have all of those recordings - and yes, in those cases I do play the whole album. But I don't neccessarily do the same for each and every record in my collection; nor do I feel any moral obligation to do so.

After all how much Gregorian chant can you listen to in one sitting?
    These are thematic albums where there is a progression of the musical idea or concept over 40 minutes. I don't think that these concept albums were as common in the 70s and 80s as some people think. There were far fewer where the music stood up over both sides without there being some naff track.

I have no problem with people preferring to listen to an album all the way through. I just don't see it as a "virtue". Increasingly, since digitising my cd collection and subscribing to streaming (currently Tidal) I have reverted to listening to music as I did many years ago. Then I would make up compilation tapes for the car or for my Walkman (typically a C90 cassette). I then bought one of the first CD burners to make similar compilation discs for the car. Now I have a number of thematic playlists to reflect a particular mood or genre. I also find myself listening to more curated playlists on Tidal, which is also a good way of discovering new music or new artists. Occasionally, I will challenge colleagues to suggest tracks for a theme (e.g. Songs for the Operating Theatre).

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I also find myself listening to more curated playlists on Tidal, which is also a good way of discovering new music or new artists. Occasionally, I will challenge colleagues to suggest tracks for a theme (e.g. Songs for the Operating Theatre).
    You should try songs for keeping warm to.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    WRT greatest hits albums, I have all Steely Dan albums (except the last two) on vinyl and CD, also have the Greatest Hits album on vinyl and CD. I still like to listen to the Greatest Hits album sometimes. So what?
    It's the only place you'll find their song FM listed, unless you have the soundtrack to the film FM.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59pOE3OmUi8

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It's the only place you'll find their song FM listed, unless you have the soundtrack to the film FM.
    I have just sold my vinyl MCA Audiophile Recording: Steely Dan Gold. FM is on that too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast