+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm Martin.

Are there any facts and figures to back all this up or is it just Guardian-reader style hand-wringing?

There's a few under-thirties here working with me. They've all got mortgages, decent cars and take foreign holidays. Some of them manage it even though they have young children too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Are there any facts and figures to back all this up or is it just Guardian-reader style hand-wringing?

There's a few under-thirties here working with me. They've all got mortgages, decent cars and take foreign holidays. Some of them manage it even though they have young children too.
    With respect Martin, I am not a Guardian reader, far from it, I come from a hard working background. I made my own way in the world and was fortunate enough to get on a government training scheme for IT programmers in early 80’s. My father made his way as a engineer through night school(something you can’t do know). I rose in my career to be in the top 1% of earners in the country for about 8 years, some of which was luck and being in the right place at the right time, but also from hard work and long hours. However I do believe there are far less opportunities for young people today.

Maybe your colleagues are the fortunate ones and are being paid well for their jobs or their partners are hard working too and have good jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 06-12-2018 at 14:00.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think that would come down more to a lack of education (i.e. how to manage your finances properly and practice basic home-economics, knowing how to cook cheaply and healthily, etc), than the existence of genuine poverty.

If you've got a decent regular income coming into the household, and the folks in it are living within their means, not spending money they can't afford on booze and fags (or other addictions), in a property that they can afford to maintain (rent or pay a mortgage on - and if not, then why commit to it in the first place?) then given the above, you should be able to make it work.

Marco.
    Marco,

you have a very negative, almost Dickensian, view of poverty and the poor and dare I say it not a very Christian one. Yes, there are some idle wasters who play the system for benefits and have no sense of self reliance or self worth. However, that is a very small minority. I really am troubled by your portrayal of the poor as uneducated, drug addicted wasters.

Many homeless people and those living in poverty were driven there by an external shock or event not of their own making (e.g. illness, family breakdown, loss of employment).

Happy Christmas anyway!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    With respect Martian
    Who is Martian?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Who is Martian?
    My typo mistake it's Martin
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

I remember "My Favourite Martian" - he had antennae that would pop out of his head. Not sure if Macca can do that.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    With respect Martin, I am not a Guardian reader, far from it, I come from a hard working background. I made my own way in the world and was fortunate enough to get on a government training scheme for IT programmers in early 80’s. My father made his way as a engineer through night school(something you can’t do know). I rose in my career to be in the top 1% of earners in the country for about 8 years, some of which was luck and being in the right place at the right time, but also from hard work and long hours. However I do believe there are far less opportunities for young people today.

Maybe your colleagues are the fortunate ones and are being paid well for their jobs or their partners are hard working too and have good jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was just asking for some data to back up the assertions being made, that's all.

My perspective is that young people have never had it so good, yours (and Geoff's) is that they struggle. I'm happy to accept that my perspective is skewed from reality since it is only my perspective. I was just wondering if the opposite view to mine is also from a personal perspective or based on some solid research/data.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

i think the, "there but for the grace of god, go i" is apt when describing people who dont have it good; and there are many. hard work and careful management of money is essential, but so is luck in being in right place at right time.
    that's always been my view, even when dealing with the tramps and beggars you get on streets. if more did, im guessing bthen there may well be fewer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I was just asking for some data to back up the assertions being made, that's all.

My perspective is that young people have never had it so good, yours (and Geoff's) is that they struggle. I'm happy to accept that my perspective is skewed from reality since it is only my perspective. I was just wondering if the opposite view to mine is also from a personal perspective or based on some solid research/data.
    And my post (#109) was just my perspective, based on what I've heard and read over the years, and also a radio programme a couple of days ago, probably the one Adrian's wife heard. I have no data to back it up.

But I have no reason to believe the so-called gig economy doesn't exist, nor zero hours contracts. Neither of these terms are going to look good on a mortgage application. Sometimes you just have to trust that what you are told is true. if you disbelieve everything, then you can learn nothing.

When I bought my first house in 1983, the mortgage guys would lend me 2 and a half times my salary (about 5k) plus one times my partner's. It just about reached the £14,500 price of the house. Blokes doing my job now make around £25,000 pa, and that first house is now worth £120,000, so it isn't unreasonable to deduce that getting on the property ladder is harder these days.

in other parts of the country (London and some of the more desirable places like the Lake District) it would be even tougher. The wealthy are making parts of our country too expensive by driving up property prices, what with all their bags of money.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Martin, there is plenty of data and evidence, both qualitative and quantitative. The rise in UK poverty needs to be seen as part of a global trend in recent decades towards a greater concentration of income and (particularly) wealth in the hands of a tiny tiny minority, and the tendency for wealth to grow faster than incomes (thereby reinforcing the concentration of wealth).

Regarding the UK evidence you could look at the Joseph Rowntree Trust reports, reports from the Institute of Fiscal Studies (IFS); the OECD or the recent UN report rejected by the UK government who would rather we focus on absolute poverty rather than relative poverty. Aside from those currently in poverty, there are increasing numbers of those classed as JAMs (just about managing) whose lives are blighted by the stress of being close to the edge and just one event from being sucked into poverty from which it is hard to escape. Just do a bit of Google if you want to find the reports and data.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast