+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Personally I think the best pop songs of all time are Slade's - Merry Xmas Everybody and Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Full of Meaning
    Lol.... If we're talking about just good out-and-out pop tunes, which have stood the test of time, then for me it takes a lot to beat the classics, produced by Abba. They got the concept, from song writing to production, spot on.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Said it before, but you don't have to listen to pop music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it . . . just sayin'

I'm not mad awful keen on Hip Hop, but I personally wouldn't call it crap just because I don't like it, there's a lot who do, does that make them any less worthy? If they buy it, play it and it gives them pleasure (and support the artist) that's good enough for me, they're listening to music.

Suum cuique.

(can't beat a good Abba song, Dancing Queen has to be one of the best pop songs of all time - classic)
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Adrian.

Default Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

And then of course there is the one hit wonders, Norman Greenbaums - Spirit in a the Sky comes to mind and still gets played.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

The young do get clobbered with extortionate rents these days, the wages ain't so bad, but then mr and mrs landlord snatch away half their wages, its disgusting. And then you get these young Eastern Euros travelling miles to work in these conditions, weird!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Steve.

If an East European worker gets say, £300 pw here, it will have the buying power of probably about £6-700 pw back home. And many of these migrant workers 'house share' to keep their living costs down. I've worked at a few of these 'multi-occupancy' houses, and where nearly all the rooms are being used to sleep in. Some may even use the beds in shifts.

Personally I admire their determination to get out there and live and work in a foreign, sometimes hostile country in order to make a better life for their loved ones. I really wouldn't want to live like that, but then who knows what anyone will do when faced with those choices?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    If an East European worker gets say, £300 pw here, it will have the buying power of probably about £6-700 pw back home. And many of these migrant workers 'house share' to keep their living costs down. I've worked at a few of these 'multi-occupancy' houses, and where nearly all the rooms are being used to sleep in. Some may even use the beds in shifts.
    yep loads round here doing exactly that. If I was in my twenties and could go to Poland and do the same job for twice the money I'd at least think about it. I lived in shared houses until I was 30 anyway. No big deal. The savings made doing that helped me get a deposit together to buy. £500/month rent isn't so bad split 5 ways.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Personally I admire their determination to get out there and live and work in a foreign, sometimes hostile country in order to make a better life for their loved ones. I really wouldn't want to live like that, but then who knows what anyone will do when faced with those choices?
    Precisely. It is madness to blame individuals taking perfectly legal steps to pursue a better life and to provide for their families, wherever they may be located. What is criminal, is for a government to make no provision to increase housing stock and capacity in education and social services despite sizeable and largely predictable increases in net migration over decades. I am not against immigration per se, or from any particular region or ethnicity. What I am against, is a policy which exploits the resident population by using a virtually limitless pool of overseas labour to drive down local wages and living standards.

I'm Steve.

Anyway, the thread is wandering again, so just to ease it back into music by saying I have a CD by Pat Metheney and Anna Maria Jopek (Upojenie), A Polish woman with a really nice voice although I can't understand a word she says. Produced in 2008 so relatively modern.

If you listen to recent material by established artists, that will still count as new won't it?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Geoff.

Anyway, the thread is wandering again, so just to ease it back into music by saying I have a CD by Pat Metheney and Anna Maria Jopek (Upojenie), A Polish woman with a really nice voice although I can't understand a word she says. Produced in 2008 so relatively modern.

If you listen to recent material by established artists, that will still count as new won't it?
    There are three categories of "new music":

a) New music by new artists
    b) New music by established artists
    c) Newly discovered old music

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Precisely. It is madness to blame individuals taking perfectly legal steps to pursue a better life and to provide for their families, wherever they may be located. What is criminal, is for a government to make no provision to increase housing stock and capacity in education and social services despite sizeable and largely predictable increases in net migration over decades. I am not against immigration per se, or from any particular region or ethnicity. What I am against, is a policy which exploits the resident population by using a virtually limitless pool of overseas labour to drive down local wages and living standards.
    That's it in a nutshell I think. As long as migration can be carefully managed I'm sure there'll be room for all of us. We just need to be a bit more robust in dealing with the criminal element which seem to be finding us easy pickings.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast