+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 218

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

  1. #161
    Join Date: Feb 2011

    Location: Wales

    Posts: 7,327
    I'm Tim.

    Default

    Doesn't matter who produces it, how established they are or how old they are - new music is new music.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

  2. #162
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Notts

    Posts: 2,020
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Doesn't matter who produces it, how established they are or how old they are - new music is new music.
    Unfortunately, and with very few exceptions, new music by old artists rarely inspires me. When was the last great Stones album, or anything genuinely new by the great Van Morrison.

    I respect Billy Joel who when asked why he had not produced a new album in decades said he had nothing more to say!

  3. #163
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 2,396
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    There are three categories of "new music":

    a) New music by new artists
    b) New music by established artists
    c) Newly discovered old music
    Category (a) doesn't get much of a look in, perhaps 4 or 5 albums a year. But (b) and (c) have enough stuff to keep me going, so all good here!

    But on a slightly depressing note, I look at my albums and CD's sitting there and think, "many of you I will never play again before I peg it". How's that for a cheery way to start the weekend?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  4. #164
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 2,396
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Doesn't matter who produces it, how established they are or how old they are - new music is new music.
    Using those parameters I'd say about 90% of my purchases comprise new music then.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  5. #165
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Notts

    Posts: 2,020
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Category (a) doesn't get much of a look in, perhaps 4 or 5 albums a year. But (b) and (c) have enough stuff to keep me going, so all good here!

    But on a slightly depressing note, I look at my albums and CD's sitting there and think, "many of you I will never play again before I peg it". How's that for a cheery way to start the weekend?
    I find more and more new music in category a because I seek out new artists and go to live local gigs regularly. When I do find an artist I like, I use the internet to find related artists and content.

    Much of my collection of vinyl and cds was bought on the basis of a couple of tracks I heard on the radio, only to be disappointed by most of the other tracks on the album. In hindsight, there are very few albums that I want to listen to start to finish. Even before the dawn of CD and digital, I had vinyl albums which I would only play one side (usually side A). If the track was in the middle of a side, I would listen to it, but only because I could not be arsed to get up and move the tonearm. I really cannot grasp the thinking of those who consider it necessary to listen to an album from start to finish as if it were some sacred ritual. I bought the music so allow me to listen to it how I want to.

  6. #166
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 2,396
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Unfortunately, and with very few exceptions, new music by old artists rarely inspires me. When was the last great Stones album, or anything genuinely new by the great Van Morrison.

    I respect Billy Joel who when asked why he had not produced a new album in decades said he had nothing more to say!
    Yes well there's old and there's OLD. Totally agree when it comes to the codgers, although I'm sure there will be one or two jazz musicians still doing good things. And I have a David Byrne albums winging its way towards me. Hardly in his first flush of youth, but I'm looking forward to it.

    Pink Floyd's 'Endless River' never gets played
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  7. #167
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 2,396
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I find more and more new music in category a because I seek out new artists and go to live local gigs regularly. When I do find an artist I like, I use the internet to find related artists and content.

    Much of my collection of vinyl and cds was bought on the basis of a couple of tracks I heard on the radio, only to be disappointed by most of the other tracks on the album. In hindsight, there are very few albums that I want to listen to start to finish. Even before the dawn of CD and digital, I had vinyl albums which I would only play one side (usually side A). If the track was in the middle of a side, I would listen to it, but only because I could not be arsed to get up and move the tonearm. I really cannot grasp the thinking of those who consider it necessary to listen to an album from start to finish as if it were some sacred ritual. I bought the music so allow me to listen to it how I want to.
    Hence the Steely Dan greatest hits albums! I totally get that, and a huge proportion of my vinyl is from the eighties, where I heard something I liked on the radio and went out and bought the album (I never bought singles and in any case my LP12 didn't do 45's and I never got round to sorting it).

    These days, streaming services enable 'discovery' to be relatively risk-free and I'll get into it more eventually.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  8. #168
    Join Date: Feb 2011

    Location: Wales

    Posts: 7,327
    I'm Tim.

    Default

    Well I think these are pretty good, especially Roll With the Punches.

    I guess it depends on what you define as new? I personally view a new recording of an old song (if it's different) as new.





    I feel sorry for the guys stuck in a rut and that's not intended to be patronising, I really do. I love music, I love how it evolves and the older I get the more I enjoy (old and new). I'm listening to and enjoying so many more genre's than I used to and when something new clicks, it opens up so many more doors. It's overwhelming at times and despite many hours of listening, I'm constantly discovering new music I love. I have to actually reign myself in at times so I can go back and listen to old stuff. In fact the more I discover the more I realise how little I know.

    If you have a negative disposition that's not likely to change though and I perceive many of the posts in this thread as quite negative, especially calling music crap when you don't like it. I very much doubt SIA or Ariana Grande give much of a thought to 40 something audiophiles as they are writing their next song. I watched her charity show in Manchester and was overwhelmed, the pure joy on the faces of the people in that stadium was extremely moving - I didn't know any of her music but I can recognise talent when I see it.

    I've been volunteering at End of the Road Festival for the last few years and I'm mixing with all sorts of music lovers there, as well as listening to many different genres' of music. Being in a field with people over 40 years younger than me, enjoying the music they love is not only infectious, but very uplifting. It's good for the soul in so many ways, but that's the power of music.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

  9. #169
    Join Date: Jun 2014

    Location: Chorley Lancs

    Posts: 2,396
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    I don't see the posts in this thread as necessarily negative - people just like what they like and may well have a particular genre they favour over others. I think of for instance 70's rock as a genre, and if there doesn't seem to be any current artists producing that kind of music then not caring for what is being produced isn't really negative.

    Most of the criticism of new music has been directed at chart music, and with a few exceptions I agree with that. The rest of it is just grumpy old gits being grumpy old gits - it's what we're good at!
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  10. #170
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 19,128
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I find more and more new music in category a because I seek out new artists and go to live local gigs regularly. When I do find an artist I like, I use the internet to find related artists and content.

    Much of my collection of vinyl and cds was bought on the basis of a couple of tracks I heard on the radio, only to be disappointed by most of the other tracks on the album. In hindsight, there are very few albums that I want to listen to start to finish. Even before the dawn of CD and digital, I had vinyl albums which I would only play one side (usually side A). If the track was in the middle of a side, I would listen to it, but only because I could not be arsed to get up and move the tonearm. I really cannot grasp the thinking of those who consider it necessary to listen to an album from start to finish as if it were some sacred ritual. I bought the music so allow me to listen to it how I want to.
    Whilst at University I became friends with a fellow music lover. We would often visit one another to listen to LPs (all there was in those days: high quality audio cassette players were only just starting to emerge), and he was surprised to see that often I would only play one side of an LP - he seemed to think one had a moral duty to play the entire LP out of respect for the artist(e)!

    I've come across similar sentiments and antipathy towards the playing of 'best of' or 'greatest hits' collections. In my experience, like Geoff's, I find there are very few albums where I want to listen to the whole performance; so I see no reason why I should buy a record just for a couple of tracks - hence I will often buy, at a later date, a best of collection.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •