+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steve Toy system as of 6th May 2008

Default The Steve Toy system as of 6th May 2008

This Copper beauty is on loan while I wait for my own to be modified by AnthonyTD. (I'm not really in a major hurry to get it back):

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looking very good, Jemima. I know that amp well

Are you using it for weight training purposes, too then, Dorothy?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I don't wish to do my back in, Jeremy.

Music Works Cryogenically treated Reflex mains block (works extremely well with all kit not just that supplied by Audio Works):

Bel Canto CD2, Spectral DMC-15 pre, Tube Distinctions Copper amp all on acrylic Quadraspire Reference stands:

CD and pre

One of the Piega TS5s now appears:

Looking good, Patsy.

Just a thought though, Daphne, regarding your block... I notice that the sockets are in two rows of three, and you've currently got all your leads plugged into the bottom row.

I would guess that the first socket on the top row is nearer the mains inlet than the 2nd or 3rd sockets on the bottom row, and therefore is potentially a 'better sounding' socket than either of those two. It will depend though how the block is wired internally.

Do you see where I'm going here?

So I would unplug your preamp from the 2nd socket on the bottom row and plug it into the 1st socket in the top row, then try your power amp into both the 2nd socket in the top and bottom row and see which sounds best.

This is very anal, I know (haha) but we both know from experience these things can make subtle differences.

If Larry or Ed has told you to plug your kit in the way it is then ignore everything I've just written!

If they haven't then try it and let me know if you hear any difference.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Piaga TS5 close-up:

You haven't answered my post, Florence!

Marco.
    Main System

Post answered, Booboo:

Socket 1 (bottom left) - CD player
    Socket 2 (bottom middle) - preamp
    Socket 3 (bottom right) - amp.

Cool. I thought the AudioWorks guys would have thought of that. It's something to remember though for other people reading using some kind of mains block...

The order of equipment plug-in makes a difference!

Hey you're a bit of a whizz on the old camera tonight, eh Rhonda?

Marco.
    Main System

Not bad for a mobile phone, eh, Ermintrude?

Whole system:

Indeed. I'm sure Rob would approve, Samantha.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast