+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gardening thread.....

I'm Jerry.

I had a massive willow taken down last October. It was a relief as it was leaning on the back fence and shading the garden. Got a flowering crab ordered to replace it. Any planting advice-size of hole, compost, what to feed it with?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm guy.

Willows are shallow rooted, but the roots really spread (I think further than most trees). The willow is also very good at extracting nutrients (and water)from the soil - "greedy".
    So I would guess that you have a large area, extending two or three times the height of the "massive" tree, where the soil will be barren
    I would get some composted horse manure (I am extending my border in to an area where there used to be a very large Christmas tree, so my soil would also be drained of nutrients and lacking in humus, which is why I am using manure). and dig it in to a spade depth or more.
    I used "mr muck" for the manure - not a bad price, and recommended by the RHS I believe.

"Dig the hole for the tree as deep as the root ball and two to three times as wide. When you set the tree in the hole, the soil line on the tree should be even with the surrounding soil. Fill the hole half full with soil and water well to remove the air pockets. When the soil settles and the water drains through, finish filling the hole and water thoroughly."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Flowering Crabapple Trees: Learn How To Plant A Crabapple Tree https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...pple-trees.htm
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Jerry.

Thanks thats very helpful,
    I will have a look at organic manure locally. Its only one tree so dont neat a huge amount. I have loads of bark from the willow spread over my borders. Could I mix some of that in do you think?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm guy.

I wouldn't mix the bark with the top soil, but by all means lay it on top.

If you mix the bark with the soil: as the bark starts to decompose, Nitrogen from the soil will be "tied up" in the rotting bark by the microbes which need it to do their job - effectively "robbing" the plant roots of nutrients.

Laying bark on top is beneficial - couple of inches thick will suppress weeds, help to retain moisture and your ornamental crab roots will be deep enough to not be affected. On the top of the soil, the bark will take longer to decompose which I think is a good thing as it will do its mulching job for longer.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

Right, first garden job of the year done. De-crapping the lawn! The pooch left about twelve pounds of poo there over the winter. There's no way I'm squelching about over the winter to clear it up.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm guy.

Crikey - over winter
    I try to poo pick on a weekly basis and always wonder whether I am feeding the little dear too much
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm sorted.

My neighbour’s kindly replaced my fence for me

I'm guy.

During the last week:
    built three obelisks from cobnut branches
    extended border
    dug in horse manure and working around old border, removing/refreshing old plants
    jest washed fence panels and ordered fence paint and sprayer.

Hopefully a new look for Summer - photo's to follow
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Dave.

Just had a massive Walnut tree cut down and left with a lot of space I never realised was there. I now want to plant a couple of Apple trees in it's place but I believe they have to be different types to get fruit. Is that correct and what do I look out for ?

The Apple I want is Cox, as they seem impossible to get in the supermarket and are my favourite.

I'm Grant.

hi, yes you need two varieties. get ones in containers. try ebay, or go to a garden centre when they open. i got mine from ebay.

i got 4 and i get a fair amount of apples. if you keep them from getting too big you would be better with 4. spaced out, with a thought for wind as well as bees etc, they should cross polinate well. they dont need to be huge to get apples
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast